Start by marking “Halfway to the Sky” as Want to Read:
Halfway to the Sky

Halfway to the Sky

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Twelve-year-old Dani is running away from home, or what’s left of home anyway. Her older brother, who had muscular dystrophy, died a few months ago. Then her father left and her parents got divorced. Now home is just Dani and her sad, silent mother, and Dani’s got to get away. She plans to do something amazing, and go where her parents will never find her: she’s going to h ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Yearling (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway to the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway to the Sky

Cecelia
I LOVE this book!!! It is so amazing! It is my favorite book! If I could only have one book to read for the rest of mt life it would be this one. Most Definately. It is on the top of my list for sure! Dani is a character that relates a lot to my friend. When you have a connection like that it makes the whole book worth reading five more times. I am also a through hiker, which is mentioned a lot in this book. Taking this adventure was amazing and definately a life-changing experience. Way to go K ...more
Tayli Craner
Really liked it!! I wish I was as fit and active as this girl. She'd be my best friend if she was real. I recommend this book to all who are hikers and can handle sadness. Her mom is amazing, too. It would be so hard to be in a place like her, but she works it all out. I would love to hike the Appalachian Trail! Anyone want to go with me?? It's only about 2175 miles.
Andrea Proser
Assigned summer reading for my son (and, consequently, me). Odd choice since it's not even in print anymore, but I bought a used copy on eBay.

It's exactly that kind of book: an assigned-reading, school-discussiony, deeply and artificially symbolic, emotionally-dense kind of book.

Also, it's a junior alternate to Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" that - even though it was written well before Strayed's was published - annoyed me and made me want to reread "Wild" instead.

P.S. My bookworm son didn't like it,
Amy Sian
My book was Halfway to the Sky by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. I guess this was an OK book. The kind of books i prefer to read are action/mystery type of books unlike this book was.
A twelve year old girl name Dani decides to run away from home an hike on the Appalachian Trail. When her mom comes home she basically already knows where Dani has gone because she left enough evidence. She left her mom a message on the phone saying that she is leaving the house and doesn't want to live there anymore
Penny Peck
Upset about the death of her brother due to muscular dystrophy and the divorce of her parents, 12-year-old Dani runs away to hike the Appalachian Trial (too bad Governor Sanford ruined that phrase for the rest of us). Soon her mother finds her and agrees to hike with her for a while, to help both of them process their loss. This would make a great TV movie for Hallmark or Lifetime, with its focus on the mother-daughter relationship and the beautiful scenery. The author is skilled at avoiding dem ...more
Grace Anne
Jun 20, 2012 Grace Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Mary L.
Excellent story of a girl trying to deal with grief and find herself after her brother's death. The characters were very believable!
Diana
This book is amazing! I picked it up at my school library, and finished it that same day. The mother/daughter dynamic is brilliantly written. This book inspired my to hike the Appalachian Trail, and my friend and I are planning to hike it after highschool. Great book for anyone planning to hike the AT, has hiked it, or enjoys the outdoors.
Carmussel
Because of crummy knees (and quite proabably, my ADD!), I’ll never hike the AT (Appalachain Trail), from Georgia to Maine . . . but I like dreaming about it, and this teen novel, set on the trail was great for that. The mother-daughter conflicts were handled in a very believable way, as was the story ending. Another good coming-of-age story.
Sara
This book was not my favorite. I liked it but it didn't interest me and I found my self retracing it a lot. The ending con fussed me! I expected Dani to hike the entire trail. I read this book at school along with every student in my English class. Usually I fall in love with the books we read in English. Anyway you guys may enjoy this book,
Kayla White
I was not impressed with this book. I did not care for the way it was written nor the constant talk of "peeing" throughout the book. It was unusual and not very interesting. My students got bored with it, and many kept saying "when is this book over?", or "this book is terrible." Overall, I would not suggest it to anyone.
Cindy
I got this book because our family has done some hiking on the AT and I wanted to give the kids another view of that. It's not just about the Trail, though. Other themes in this book are mother-daughter relationships, sibling death, divorce, grief, etc. We enjoyed it and would like a sequel.
Sara
Great story about a twelve year old and her quest to hike the Appalachian Trail after her brother's death. During her adventure she gains important insights about her family and herself. It's a quick read, and Appalachian Trail thru hiking is one of my favorite topics.
Diana
This is a great book to give you an over view of thru-hiking the Appalachian trail (AT) while also looking at a mother and daughter dealing with grief. It's a beautiful book, and thoroughly enjoyable. And it fits in with the AT kick I'm on right now.
Robin Morris
This is the second time I've read this book. The first time, before my daughter read it (it is a YA book), now before my son. It's a good hiking story, but actually is a story about coping with grief and death. Excellent.
Hihihhi hello
It was a good book and I reccomend i for everyone. it was sad at some points but it was an understanding-family-problems book. Cool book but not for people who like lots of action or drama. I hope this helps.
Martha
young adult reader book -- read with my then 3rd grader -- it's a young female appalachain trail hiker wannabe coming of age story. Well written and engaging -- ended up reading it 2 times over the week.
Gwennie
Girl runs away from home to hike the Appalachian Trail...by herself. Totally implausible, but I still got caught up in the story. This is a great mother/daughter relationship book. Middle grade read.
Nickie Brown
Good teen rebellion book set in the southern section of the Appalachian Trail. Author currently lives near Bristol, Tn. I would love to meet her on her farm with all her animals (including horses!)
Martha
This is the book that started my interest in the Appalachian Trail. Hiking from Georgia to Maine just sounded like a lot of fun--in an absolutely-out-of-your-mind way, of course!
Emily
I remember reading this book when I was a lot younger but from what I remember it was a great book. It will make a good bedtime story too :)
Rebecca
This is a pretty good book with a good plot, but to tell the truth, i thoght the writing was fairly poor. this is still a great adventure!
Korrin
This is a good fictional story about the Appalachian Mountains and a girl who is determined to climb the entire length. A good read.
Vivid Light ~ ♥♥
I loved this book. Maybe because it was a lot of things I love and an emotional journey. Definitely recommend.
Anica
Juneau didn't like this book, she felt it wasn't descriptive enough, and didn't make her feel like she was "there".
Char
I really enjoyed this book! I loved how the character was so independent and outgoing! I HIGHLY recomend it!
Lauren
I read this in middle school and I remembering being so emotionally invested it, and really loving it.
Cassidy
it was really interesting especially if you like hiking or camping that sort of thing.
♥κДτϊε βэαη♥
This book taught me to never give up, because it will pay off in a long run
Sarah Rebecca
I read this when I was maybe eleven years old, and honestly, I miss it.
YA / MG Read-A-Ho...: Halfway to the Sky 1 7 Aug 01, 2013 11:52AM
  • Weasel
  • Fourth Grade Rats
  • I'm in Charge of Celebrations
  • Help! I'm Trapped in My Gym Teacher's Body
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan)
  • Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation
  • A Taste of Blackberries
  • Gleam and Glow
  • I Heart Ed Small
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Four Feet, Two Sandals
  • Victory
  • The Case of the Flapper 'Napper (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, #21)
  • Last Summer With Maizon
I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1967, very near the small town that was the setting for my first book, Ruthie's Gift. I attended Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in chemistry just a few weeks before I married my high school sweetheart--Bart Bradley.

I studied chemistry in college because that was what I most loved to learn, but it's not what
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...
Jefferson's Sons The Lacemaker and the Princess For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy Leap of Faith Ruthie's Gift