Start by marking “Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual” as Want to Read:
Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual

Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The first descriptive treatise of modern bee management. In a reader-friendly, enthusiastic style, Langstroth addresses every aspect of beekeeping: bee physiology; diseases and enemies of bees; the life-cycles of the queen, drone, and worker; bee-hives; the handling of bees; and many other topics. 25 plates.
Published February 20th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published 1857)

To ask other readers questions about Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee

Fred
Jun 08, 2013 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: apiary
The good Reverend sure knew his bees. However, for somebody who did a sermon every week he wasn't as smooth at slipping in the biblical references as I would have thought. The preachy parts weren't at all overly preachy, but the didn't flow particularly well. For that matter, flow was an issue in general.

Have to give him high marks for creativity and keen insights. He changed the beekeeping world, no doubt about it. It's striking to read a work from the 1850's that articulates almost all the sam
Philip
Nov 16, 2007 Philip rated it liked it
A bee-keeper at the farmer's market in Raleigh told me that this was the last word in bee-keeping. That seems doubtful. I didn't read every word, and it was certainly a neat read in many respects, but not in the practical way I was hoping.
Langstroth, himself, was a rural Ohio Episcople priest who was given to melancholy and turned to bees as an expression of the now-obsolere amature naturalist. (See Mendel, et al.) In all the ways that the book reflectsthat tradition (as well as the type setti
Tish
Apr 12, 2010 Tish rated it really liked it
The "Great Book" of beekeeping wherein Langstroth introduces the reasoning behind the modern form of hive (basically a three dimensional Cartesian space that allows bees to be their oblong-hive-building selves while allowing the beekeeping to access rectangular frames of honey). If you ever find yourself in the position of justifying an innovative technology, the introduction can double as a useful how-to.
Johanna
Jul 07, 2013 Johanna rated it it was amazing
An indispensable reference and compendium of bee knowledge. A lot of it will feel anachronistic because we KNOW many of these things already--we know his hive is the best because we still use it--but nevertheless his descriptions and insights on bee behavior still hold to this day, and his passion for the bees and love of them is evident. Langstroth was bipolar, and beekeeping saved his life.
Michael Howell
Feb 23, 2014 Michael Howell rated it liked it
I like reading old texts and this was no exception. I'm doing a bit of research into starting up bee-keeping and the history nerd in me couldn't help but add this one to my work.
Sweetman Sweetman
Nov 16, 2009 Sweetman Sweetman rated it it was amazing
This man modernized beekeeping. Readable and so intresting
Jodie Gatlin
Nov 03, 2007 Jodie Gatlin rated it it was amazing
How to keep bees...even in the city. Bee bible.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Larry
Larry is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Philip Hopkins
Philip Hopkins rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
F. Lynx Pardinus
F. Lynx Pardinus marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
averybiird
averybiird marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
John Hayes jr
John Hayes jr rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2015
A/Kani
A/Kani marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Craig Willie
Craig Willie rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Benjaminhapp
Benjaminhapp marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kco1958gmail.Com
Kco1958gmail.Com marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Lesli
Lesli rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Bigbear Beeguy
Bigbear Beeguy rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Fredrika
Fredrika marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015