Start by marking “Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis” as Want to Read:

Always Be Prepared
What if your life was disrupted by a natural disaster, food or water supply contamination, or any other type of emergency? Do you have the essentials for you and your family? Do you have a plan in the event that your power, telephone, water and food supply are cut off for an extended amount of time? What if there were no medical or pharmaceutical services
Published October 22nd 2002 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook

Traci
Mar 23, 2012 Traci rated it liked it
This is the type of book I'd need to purchase, because it contains recipes and, not to mention, that I won't remember any of the information two days from now when I return it to the library.

I've already determined that if the zombie apocalypse comes to fruition, I'll be bitten in the first day, so there's no need to prepare for survival because I'll be seeking (your) brains. But, if a natural disaster occurs and I somehow survive Yellowstone erupting, then my husband and I *might* have a chance
Stacy
I am beginning to think that Peggy Layton is the highest authority on books about food sotrage and preparedness - it seems that she authored every other book I find on the topic! I don't know who you are, Ms. Layton, but kudos to you.

I would like to see an updated version of this book as I agree with another reviewer that the information isn't always up to date.

I've taken awhile to review this book because I wasn't sure how to describe it but it finally dawned on me. If you were going to have a
Mary
Mar 18, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Published in 2002

Some important information is very out of date. For example, length of time food can be stored is way off. Most food has since been proven to keep much longer. And our bodies know how to use both complete, and incomplete proteins such as beans and rice. We don't need to eat them together. And old dry beans can be cooked with baking soda, or easily cooked in a pressure cooker.

This book certainly does not contain "Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis".
Robin
Nov 07, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
Peggy breaks everything down really well and answers those questions for people just getting going on food storage- where do I start, how do I know how much, how should I store it (buckets, bags), etc. She has charts and calculators, and creative tight storage space ideas, tons of recipes at the end, and a general order of purchase too.
Lily
Jan 24, 2009 Lily rated it it was amazing
I think EVERYONE should have a copy of this book and read it!!! The author REALLY breaks down the concepts to bite-size chunks and give charts to check off as you prepare. I love her recipes and have tried MANY of them. Whether you are a true beginner or a seasoned pro, there is something in here for EVERYONE!!! This should be REQUIRED READING!!!!
Claudia
Apr 15, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good tips, and breaks down the process--everything from food to water to cooking and heat sources. Extensive inventory sheets, so you can figure out what you have and what you need. Recipes are included at the end-haven't tried any of them, but if I had tons of wheat or beans to use, it would be a great resource.
Samantha
Jan 02, 2017 Samantha rated it really liked it
I wouldn't really say that this book is going to give you key survival information, however, I did feel like it gave great information and charts about how to get your food storage started as well as how to use it.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Some good basic information - things you may already know but have forgotten or just were not thinking how important to have on hand!
Aubrey
Jul 28, 2009 Aubrey rated it really liked it
I found this book SO helpful. I really needed something to help me set up a plan and this book did just that. She even has an inventory list for you and includes numbers per person.
Susan
Sep 16, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for those first starting out in food storage. Lots of helpful information and recipes!
Sierra
Nov 14, 2012 Sierra rated it it was amazing
Well organized & included just what a beginning (yet serious) planner needs. It included a possible implementation plan/timeline, many checklists, & recipes for stored food. Very practical!
Emily
May 30, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
I bought this last year and finally got around to reading it. It was really straight forward and simple, so I thought it was very helpful.
Chris
May 17, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
Covers food storage only. Does a decent job, but all in all, I'd have to say its a little light on the specific info.
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Steven Converse
Steven Converse rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
John W. Davis
John W. Davis rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Tressa Thomas
Tressa Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Amy Lowry
Amy Lowry rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Chandra Beyel
Chandra Beyel rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Erik Ramsey
Erik Ramsey rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
India Rivers
India Rivers rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Moonstar83
Moonstar83 rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2008
Lynnette Telck
Lynnette Telck rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Jodie
Jodie rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2014
Paul W
Paul W rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
  • SAS Urban Survival Handbook (SAS Survival (HarperCollins))
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game: Beef, Veal, Pork, Lamb, Poultry, Rabbit, Venison
  • Survival Mom: How to Prepare Your Family for Everyday Disasters and Worst-Case Scenarios
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76