Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Always Be Prepared
What if your life was disrupted by a natural disaster, food or water supply contamination, or any other type of emergency? Do you have the essentials for you and your family? Do you have a plan in the event that your power, telephone, water and food supply are cut off for an extended amount of time? What if there were no medical or pharmaceutical services...more
Published October 22nd 2002 by Clarkson Potter

The Prepper's Pocket Guide by Bernie CarrGhosts of Tom Joad by Peter Van BurenSurviving The Cuts, And Other Disasters by Korban BlakeEmergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook by Peggy LaytonSurvival Mom by Lisa Bedford
Preparedness
4th out of 11 books — 12 voters
How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It by James Wesley RawlesPest Control for Organic Gardening by Amber RichardsWhen All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin98.6 Degrees by Cody LundinBack to Basics by Abigail R. Gehring
Surviving the Apocalypse
41st out of 41 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Traci
This is the type of book I'd need to purchase, because it contains recipes and, not to mention, that I won't remember any of the information two days from now when I return it to the library.

I've already determined that if the zombie apocalypse comes to fruition, I'll be bitten in the first day, so there's no need to prepare for survival because I'll be seeking (your) brains. But, if a natural disaster occurs and I somehow survive Yellowstone erupting, then my husband and I *might* have a chance...more
Stacy
I am beginning to think that Peggy Layton is the highest authority on books about food sotrage and preparedness - it seems that she authored every other book I find on the topic! I don't know who you are, Ms. Layton, but kudos to you.

I would like to see an updated version of this book as I agree with another reviewer that the information isn't always up to date.

I've taken awhile to review this book because I wasn't sure how to describe it but it finally dawned on me. If you were going to have a...more
Mary
Published in 2002

Some important information is very out of date. For example, length of time food can be stored is way off. Most food has since been proven to keep much longer. And our bodies know how to use both complete, and incomplete proteins such as beans and rice. We don't need to eat them together. And old dry beans can be cooked with baking soda, or easily cooked in a pressure cooker.

This book certainly does not contain "Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis"....more
Lily
I think EVERYONE should have a copy of this book and read it!!! The author REALLY breaks down the concepts to bite-size chunks and give charts to check off as you prepare. I love her recipes and have tried MANY of them. Whether you are a true beginner or a seasoned pro, there is something in here for EVERYONE!!! This should be REQUIRED READING!!!!
Robin
Peggy breaks everything down really well and answers those questions for people just getting going on food storage- where do I start, how do I know how much, how should I store it (buckets, bags), etc. She has charts and calculators, and creative tight storage space ideas, tons of recipes at the end, and a general order of purchase too.
Claudia
Good tips, and breaks down the process--everything from food to water to cooking and heat sources. Extensive inventory sheets, so you can figure out what you have and what you need. Recipes are included at the end-haven't tried any of them, but if I had tons of wheat or beans to use, it would be a great resource.
Sierra
Well organized & included just what a beginning (yet serious) planner needs. It included a possible implementation plan/timeline, many checklists, & recipes for stored food. Very practical!
Aubrey
I found this book SO helpful. I really needed something to help me set up a plan and this book did just that. She even has an inventory list for you and includes numbers per person.
Emily
I bought this last year and finally got around to reading it. It was really straight forward and simple, so I thought it was very helpful.
Chris
Covers food storage only. Does a decent job, but all in all, I'd have to say its a little light on the specific info.
Susan
An excellent book for those first starting out in food storage. Lots of helpful information and recipes!
Scott Foley
buy this book. I got itfrom the library and I have already forgotten a lot of the little things.
Grace
The recipes seem to be really helpful.
Autumn
Good ideas.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tellnoone
Tellnoone marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Alexis Melendez
Alexis Melendez is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Tina Cousins
Tina Cousins marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Tammy Garrison
Tammy Garrison marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Cookin' with Home Storage Cookin' with Beans and Rice Cookin'with Powdered Milk (Cookin` With Home Storage) Cookin' With Dried Eggs (Cookin` With Home Storage) Designer Jeans Made Easy