Start by marking “Heavens War” as Want to Read:
Heavens War

Heavens War

1938: As the world moves toward global war, a secret angelic battle is waged in the heavenly realms to determine mankind's fate. The infamous Aleister Crowley plans to manipulate those angelic struggles and thus shape the world according to his will. Only "The Inklings" -- fantasy authors J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams -- oppose him. They must decipher a ...more
Published January 18th 2004 by Image Comics (first published January 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Heavens War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavens War

Evan
Nov 29, 2012 Evan rated it really liked it
Note: I read this in 2005 and wrote a review on Amazon that I just realized I never put here. So here it is:

To appreciate Heaven's War, I had to give it a few rereads. First off, though CS Lewis and Tolkien are important characters, the story's central figure is the lesser known inkling, Charles Williams. I can't speak authoritatively, having never read Williams, but it apparently is written in his style and follows the themes of his books. I suspect some fans of Lewis and Tolkien will be slight
Theo Logos
Disappointing - the Inklings (C.S Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, & Charles Williams) clash with Aleister Crowley in an occult duel for the fate of the world - this should have been loads of fun, but was only meh.
Eleanor Toland
In Micah Harris and Michael Gaydos's graphic novel Heaven's War the clique of theologians and writers known as the Inklings must use art history and detective work to stop Aleister Crowley from invading heaven.

It's not as exciting as that summary makes it sound. The plot largely cribs Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, with dull nonsense about secret societies and messages hidden in paintings. Heaven's War was originally published a year after The Da Vinci Code and any similarities are interesting
Drew
Feb 18, 2010 Drew rated it really liked it
Weird but very interesting graphic novel, combining fantasy, philosophy, and historical fiction. Without giving anything away, the best description I can think of is that it's basically the DaVinci Code on acid, with Aleister Crowley instead of ridiculous albino assassin/monks. It's the story of British fantasy writer Charles Williams and two of his friends (CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien) as they race to stop an ancient relic with supernatural powers from falling into the wrong hands.

I'd never heard
David
Sep 09, 2016 David rated it really liked it
If you know anything about the Inklings or Charles Williams you'll be immediately engaged otherwise it might take someone a bit to catch on to this cleverly researched, cerebral encounter with the occult.
Chad Harmon
Dec 22, 2015 Chad Harmon rated it did not like it
I had great hopes for this. A book where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien fight Aleister Crowley sounds genius. Unfortunately, nothing much happens. It's like reading a theologian's dissertation on the war in heaven. It's just too dense for the comic format. I would give it negative stars if I could.
Hannah Givens
Dec 26, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Misleading -- it's mostly about Charles Williams, an Inkling but not a famous one. It's not terribly bad, and seems to be accurate to the historical characters' actual beliefs, but it's just not very exciting.
Sean
Jul 26, 2014 Sean rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Seriously, I couldn't make heads nor tails of it. Not sure why its a graphic novel. The art doesn't serve a purpose as 75% of the panels are full of word balloons. The story makes no sense. None. I don't know what else to say.
Andrew Stout
Feb 03, 2012 Andrew Stout rated it it was ok
I couldn't resist the novelty factor...but it ended up being just as silly as I was afraid it would be.
Jessie B.
This book has interesting ideas but it just doesn't manage to pull them together into a coherent plot.
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Rob Clark
Rob Clark rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2008
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Stine Brennodden
Stine Brennodden rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2014
David Skies
David Skies rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2014
Matthew Hundley
Matthew Hundley rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Len
Len rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2013
Will
Will rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Sørina
Sørina rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2012
Dan Macdonald
Dan Macdonald rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2007
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Sonnet
Sonnet rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Damon Suede
Damon Suede rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2011