Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)

Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Things start to boil over at the annual Lobster Stew Cook-Off when an award-winning recipe is stolen and a seven-time contest champion mysteriously disappears-leaving Candy no choice but to find out who in Cape Willington, Maine, would get steamed enough to break the law.
Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley (first published January 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Town in a Lobster Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Town in a Lobster Stew

The Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerThe Lipstick Laws by Amy HolderThe Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoyThe Espressologist by Kristina SpringerThe Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski
Mmmm... Food on the Cover
141st out of 163 books — 120 voters
The Imperfectionists by Tom RachmanOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyDining Out Around The Solar System by Clare O'BearaThe Truth by Terry PratchettPress Gang by Vian Smith
Journalism in Fiction
6th out of 20 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
This is the seconds book in the Candy Holliday cozy mystery series. I have to say I enjoyed the first one more. This one wasn't terrible, but it wasn't stellar either.

Candy is surprised when a local woman calls her asking for help. The woman's friend is missing and her secret recipe for lobster stew has been stolen as well. Not wanting to get mixed up in a bunch of things again, Candy reluctantly agrees to help, but quickly finds herself in the middle of things as she is chosen to help judge the...more
Oddmonster
Two and a half stars.

Candy is much less annoying in this installment than in the first one, even if her friend Maggie is now in the running for the Delaine Duck Terrible Sidekick Award. The only way not to win is to tone it down five or six clicks, lady.

The mystery had an intriguing backstory, and I love a good cook-off mystery, but the villain stepped on stage, shook everyone's hands briefly and handed out business cards reading: [redacted], Light Villainy and Consultations.

"Oh, what do you do...more
Connie
The second book in the Candy Holliday mystery series, does not disappoint. The carachters are well written and so is the town of Cape Willington, Maine. I was surprised with the final who done it and epilogue. I am so happy to have discovered another series that I had not known about and I am truly enjoying getting caught up in the series. Next one on the list is Town in a Wild Moose Chase. Can't wait to see what Candy, Maggie, Doc and the rest are up to now.
Clare O'Beara
A fresh, lively cosy mystery set in Maine, this book features a would-be reporter called Candy Holliday who lives with her father on a small blueberry farm and covers local stories for the local paper.

This story introduces deadly rivalry over a lobster stew contest and secret recipe. There's a historic lighthouse and other old buildings to set the scene, with elderly fishermen, berry pickers and mystics galore. All of them want in on the action when Candy tries to solve the murder of an elderly...more
Michelle Randall
A Candy Holliday Murder Mystery - Book 2

I mentioned before that I stumbled onto this series through a crosspost against another book I read and reviewed. Sometimes those can be hits and other times misses, but so far, I am liking this series.

Once again we find Candy in the middle of some unexpected events in town, including murder, trickery, rivalry and long ago affairs. This time it also includes a recipe for Lobster Stew, a locally famous recipe that has won the annual Lobster Stew Cook-off 13...more
LORI CASWELL
2nd book In The Series
ISBN-10: 0425240010
ISBN-13: 978-0425240014
In the second trip to Cape Willington, we arrive just in time for the Lobster Stew Cook-off. Competition has always been stiff and for years the very same recipe always won the cook-off, but both those residents, that shared that recipe, have retired from the contest and become judges for the contest.

That is until one of them, Mr. Sedley, disappears and can't be found, the guest judge can't make it, and the other judge, Wilma Mae We...more
Kaye
It's just before Memorial Day in the little town of Cape Willington, Maine and the residents are getting all excited in anticipation of the town's 29th annual lobster Stew cook-off. Much prestige is associated with winning the coveted trophy so the competition is very cut-throat.

Candy Holliday, part time writer for the Cape Crier and part owner of Blueberry Acres has a bit of a reputation as a detective. When she is asked by the elderly Wilma Mae to help her find her trophy- winning lobster stew...more
Nora-adrienne
Apr 17, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: cozies
Town in a Lobster Stew
By: B.B. Haywood
Copyright February 2011
Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime

Candy Holliday has a mostly idyllic life in her seaside village of Cape Winnington, Maine. She helps her father on their blueberry farm, works part time for the local bakery, and handles the Community Activities column of the local weekly newspaper. She also occasionally gets to play Nancy Drew and helps solve a murder or two.

With the crowds of tourists beginning to flood the town for the beginning of the...more
Mirjam
In Town in a Lobster Stew Cape Willington is getting ready for the annual Lobster Stew cook-off. Winning the contest is a prestigious affair, so emotions are running high. The couple whose recipe has won for years in a row is not competing, but neither are they willing to part with the recipe. Then the recipe gets stolen from its secret hiding-place and Candy is asked by Wilma Mae Wendell to investigate the case missing recipe. She dives into the investigation, but things are further complicated...more
Eva

Who knew a recipe could create so much chaos? When an award winning lobster stew recipe goes missing, Candy Holliday offers to help find the ledger book containing the recipe, but before she makes any notable progress, dead bodies are found. Who could possibly want the ledger and the information it contains badly enough to kill for it? And will Candy get all the pieces in place and solve the mystery before she finds herself in hot water herself? Cape Willington, Maine, makes for a fresh locale...more
Linda Smatzny
This is the second book in the Candy Holliday Murder Mystery series. This time Candy is involved with trying to find a missing lobster stew recipe which turns into murder. Candy is doing numerous jobs to help her dad keep the blueberry farm.The story is set in Cape Willington,Maine. The book is easy to read.
Judy Alter
A thoroughly engrossing cozy with Candy Holiday, blueberry farmer and amateur sleuth. This one opens with a death and proceeds from complication to complication, keeping the reader engrossed. B.B.Haywood throws in plenty of red herrings--at least twice I thought I knew whodunit only to be proved wrong. Nicely captures the atmosphere of a small Maine coastal town and the descriptions of lobster stew are mouth-watering.
And when you think it's all wrapped up . . . there's an opening for another bo...more
Angie Young
Here is the link to my review of this book.

Susan
Farmer and columnist Candy Holliday knows a lot will be happening as the tourist season starts on Memorial Day weekend. She expects the lobster stew cookoff, a feature of the festivities for years, and the influx of new people. She doesn't expect to end up as a judge of the cookoff, or the murder of all-time cookoff champion Mr. Sedley, nor does she expect to be looking for the murderer at the behest of elderly Wilma Mae, whose scandalous past is belied by her grandmotherly manner. Haywood has a...more
Lidia
It's strange how competition , envy and jealousy can be there in a little town. But it works for the plot and also this second book of series is interesting and is a enjoy reading. Finally ,Candy know what is her call, to do the detective . I don't still understand the character of Ben, and if is new the fact that there aren't kiss or sex between two them ,still their relationship is a bit strange,Candy is smart but maybe a bit naive on men .I liked the environment , a little town in Maine where...more
Kathy Warren
Candy Holliday mysteries are fun. Setting in a small town with great characters helping Candy solve the latest mystery.
Gerry
Good story. I think I'll read more of the series.
This is the 2nd in the series, but the first I've read.
Candy Holiday is a reporter for the newspaper and is being called a detective by others in the town. She solved a murder in the 1st book in the series and now along comes another or two.
Nice town, quirky people.
Sometimes I get tired of non-detective detectives who solve crimes. Especially when they withold information and therefore gets themselves into a mess of trouble. That's why I gave it...more
Linda
I enjoyed the first one much more than this one. I never really felt engaged with this one.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Town in a Lobster Stew by B.B. Haywood, was a great-paced, action filled, murder mystery with an interesting twist.

The main character is sleuth, Candy who is busy trying to help the family farm, part-time Bakery assistant, baking pies for sale, and newspaper columnist who is hot on a mystery that becomes a murder mystery as well.

The town is flavored with full-spiced characters and yet, it seems that these are persons you might truly meet if you visited Cape Willington, ME.

I look forward to the n...more
Susan
Grey853
Elizabeth
Like this series.
Mike
Not a bad quick mystery read. It has a tendency to be formulaic, also a lot of story cliches. The characters are not richly defined but are not unlikeable. The main downside were many under-thought out plot scenarios. But, the story layout is pretty simple.

I'm not picky at all with what I read. I mix up genres and topics for reading. I enjoyed this book as a light mystery read. I liked the idea of putting recipes into the book.
Min
Though I liked the first book well enough, this one just didn't click for me. I liked the prologue but by chapter three I was already finding it difficult to pay attention to the story. I ended up skimming through most of the next three chapters and then just skipped to the end. Most of the dialogue and character interactions felt contrived, not to mention a bit cliched. I will most likely not read the next book in this series.
Kim
I hoped this series would get better as it went, when I was not happy too happy with book 1. I was terribly let down on that front. While the concept of the small town is cute,it is too Cabot Cove and too many melodramatic characters just ruin the story line. The ending which is as about as subtle as an ice pick to the eye,clearly sets up the villain for the next book, which to me is too much telegraphing.
Madonna
I was hoping Candy would have developed more in this book. I still like the other characters. Don't think I'll try any of the recipes in the back. A quick, enjoyable read not dependent on the first in the series, although references are made to the first book.
I want to know what happened to the torn-out pages from the ledger. Maybe that will be addressed in the 3rd book, which I'll read.
Judy
I enjoyed this book and was totally surprised by the ending. It has likable characters and an interesting plot. I look forward to the next one in the series.
Caroline
Took me a while to get into this book. I'm not into lobster (allergic to shellfish) but I like the Maine town and some of the characters so I can't put my finger on why this left me kind of blah. I don't know - it was kind of dry or something. But I still plan to read the next book in the series and hope it gets better.
Kate
I liked this book, but like the last one in the series I thought it was a bit slow and long winded. There are so many useless details that are added in for no purpose,sometimes full paragraphs worth of them! If you can look past that and learn to skim a bit, this book can be a pretty enjoyable read.
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery #2)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
B. B. Haywood is a pseudonym of writing team Beth Feeman and Robert Feeman. They conceived the idea for the Candy Holliday mysteries while driving around the Maine countryside, stopping at different small towns throughout the state.

Series:
* Candy Holliday
More about B.B. Haywood...
Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1) Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3) Town in a Pumpkin Bash  (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #4) Town in a Strawberry Swirl (A Candy Holliday Mystery #5) Town in a Sweet Pickle