Start by marking “Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)

Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery #2)

Things start to boil over at the annual Lobster Stew Cook-Off when an award-winning recipe is stolen and a seven-time contest champion mysteriously disappears-leaving Candy no choice but to find out who in Cape Willington, Maine, would get steamed enough to break the law.
Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley (first published January 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Town in a Lobster Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Town in a Lobster Stew

Fran
Jun 08, 2015 Fran rated it it was ok
I guess it's not a good sign, that when you reach that thrilling part of the story near the end of the book and you fall asleep? Ya this book was long and tedious in many parts. Candy is a moron. I am done with the series.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: food, mystery
This is the seconds book in the Candy Holliday cozy mystery series. I have to say I enjoyed the first one more. This one wasn't terrible, but it wasn't stellar either.

Candy is surprised when a local woman calls her asking for help. The woman's friend is missing and her secret recipe for lobster stew has been stolen as well. Not wanting to get mixed up in a bunch of things again, Candy reluctantly agrees to help, but quickly finds herself in the middle of things as she is chosen to help judge the
Audrey
Two and a half stars.

Candy is much less annoying in this installment than in the first one, even if her friend Maggie is now in the running for the Delaine Duck Terrible Sidekick Award. The only way not to win is to tone it down five or six clicks, lady.

The mystery had an intriguing backstory, and I love a good cook-off mystery, but the villain stepped on stage, shook everyone's hands briefly and handed out business cards reading: [redacted], Light Villainy and Consultations.

"Oh, what do you do
Connie
Jan 02, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Candy Holliday mystery series, does not disappoint. The carachters are well written and so is the town of Cape Willington, Maine. I was surprised with the final who done it and epilogue. I am so happy to have discovered another series that I had not known about and I am truly enjoying getting caught up in the series. Next one on the list is Town in a Wild Moose Chase. Can't wait to see what Candy, Maggie, Doc and the rest are up to now.
Paula
Nov 23, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
Another fun Candy Holliday mystery! I love a good cozy mystery now and then and this series set in small town Maine is just right.
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it
2nd book In The Series
ISBN-10: 0425240010
ISBN-13: 978-0425240014
In the second trip to Cape Willington, we arrive just in time for the Lobster Stew Cook-off. Competition has always been stiff and for years the very same recipe always won the cook-off, but both those residents, that shared that recipe, have retired from the contest and become judges for the contest.

That is until one of them, Mr. Sedley, disappears and can't be found, the guest judge can't make it, and the other judge, Wilma Mae We
Kaye
Feb 09, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge
It's just before Memorial Day in the little town of Cape Willington, Maine and the residents are getting all excited in anticipation of the town's 29th annual lobster Stew cook-off. Much prestige is associated with winning the coveted trophy so the competition is very cut-throat.

Candy Holliday, part time writer for the Cape Crier and part owner of Blueberry Acres has a bit of a reputation as a detective. When she is asked by the elderly Wilma Mae to help her find her trophy- winning lobster stew
Michelle Randall
Jul 27, 2011 Michelle Randall rated it really liked it
A Candy Holliday Murder Mystery - Book 2

I mentioned before that I stumbled onto this series through a crosspost against another book I read and reviewed. Sometimes those can be hits and other times misses, but so far, I am liking this series.

Once again we find Candy in the middle of some unexpected events in town, including murder, trickery, rivalry and long ago affairs. This time it also includes a recipe for Lobster Stew, a locally famous recipe that has won the annual Lobster Stew Cook-off 13
Nora-adrienne
Apr 17, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: cozies
Town in a Lobster Stew
By: B.B. Haywood
Copyright February 2011
Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime

Candy Holliday has a mostly idyllic life in her seaside village of Cape Winnington, Maine. She helps her father on their blueberry farm, works part time for the local bakery, and handles the Community Activities column of the local weekly newspaper. She also occasionally gets to play Nancy Drew and helps solve a murder or two.

With the crowds of tourists beginning to flood the town for the beginning of the
Angela
Oct 06, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
I just have to say I was disappointed in this book. I guess I kind of thought that this book would start with a "hit the ground running" type of mystery, even though the last one did not. I was disappointed in that expectation. The book started out with a huge OH BOY factor and then it kind of stalled out. The book, like the last one, seemed to just mosey along until almost half or three quarters of the way through, then it took off and was a real page turner. I guess I have to rate the book ove ...more
Mirjam
Aug 22, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
In Town in a Lobster Stew Cape Willington is getting ready for the annual Lobster Stew cook-off. Winning the contest is a prestigious affair, so emotions are running high. The couple whose recipe has won for years in a row is not competing, but neither are they willing to part with the recipe. Then the recipe gets stolen from its secret hiding-place and Candy is asked by Wilma Mae Wendell to investigate the case missing recipe. She dives into the investigation, but things are further complicated ...more
Dharia Scarab
I didn't like this book near as much as I did the first. I won't be following up on this series.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my wa
Eva
Jun 24, 2012 Eva rated it liked it

Who knew a recipe could create so much chaos? When an award winning lobster stew recipe goes missing, Candy Holliday offers to help find the ledger book containing the recipe, but before she makes any notable progress, dead bodies are found. Who could possibly want the ledger and the information it contains badly enough to kill for it? And will Candy get all the pieces in place and solve the mystery before she finds herself in hot water herself? Cape Willington, Maine, makes for a fresh locale
Lidia
Mar 05, 2013 Lidia rated it really liked it
It's strange how competition , envy and jealousy can be there in a little town. But it works for the plot and also this second book of series is interesting and is a enjoy reading. Finally ,Candy know what is her call, to do the detective . I don't still understand the character of Ben, and if is new the fact that there aren't kiss or sex between two them ,still their relationship is a bit strange,Candy is smart but maybe a bit naive on men .I liked the environment , a little town in Maine where ...more
Judy Alter
Apr 01, 2011 Judy Alter rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly engrossing cozy with Candy Holiday, blueberry farmer and amateur sleuth. This one opens with a death and proceeds from complication to complication, keeping the reader engrossed. B.B.Haywood throws in plenty of red herrings--at least twice I thought I knew whodunit only to be proved wrong. Nicely captures the atmosphere of a small Maine coastal town and the descriptions of lobster stew are mouth-watering.
And when you think it's all wrapped up . . . there's an opening for another bo
Clare O'Beara
Oct 08, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime
A fresh, lively cosy mystery set in Maine, this book features a would-be reporter called Candy Holliday who lives with her father on a small blueberry farm and covers local stories for the local paper.

This story introduces deadly rivalry over a lobster stew contest and secret recipe. There's a historic lighthouse and other old buildings to set the scene, with elderly fishermen, berry pickers and mystics galore. All of them want in on the action when Candy tries to solve the murder of an elderly
Gerry
Apr 14, 2011 Gerry rated it really liked it
Good story. I think I'll read more of the series.
This is the 2nd in the series, but the first I've read.
Candy Holiday is a reporter for the newspaper and is being called a detective by others in the town. She solved a murder in the 1st book in the series and now along comes another or two.
Nice town, quirky people.
Sometimes I get tired of non-detective detectives who solve crimes. Especially when they withold information and therefore gets themselves into a mess of trouble. That's why I gave it
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 19, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
Town in a Lobster Stew by B.B. Haywood, was a great-paced, action filled, murder mystery with an interesting twist.

The main character is sleuth, Candy who is busy trying to help the family farm, part-time Bakery assistant, baking pies for sale, and newspaper columnist who is hot on a mystery that becomes a murder mystery as well.

The town is flavored with full-spiced characters and yet, it seems that these are persons you might truly meet if you visited Cape Willington, ME.

I look forward to the n
Kim
I hoped this series would get better as it went, when I was not happy too happy with book 1. I was terribly let down on that front. While the concept of the small town is cute,it is too Cabot Cove and too many melodramatic characters just ruin the story line. The ending which is as about as subtle as an ice pick to the eye,clearly sets up the villain for the next book, which to me is too much telegraphing.
Mike
Aug 02, 2013 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-books
Not a bad quick mystery read. It has a tendency to be formulaic, also a lot of story cliches. The characters are not richly defined but are not unlikeable. The main downside were many under-thought out plot scenarios. But, the story layout is pretty simple.

I'm not picky at all with what I read. I mix up genres and topics for reading. I enjoyed this book as a light mystery read. I liked the idea of putting recipes into the book.
Min
Mar 26, 2011 Min rated it did not like it
Though I liked the first book well enough, this one just didn't click for me. I liked the prologue but by chapter three I was already finding it difficult to pay attention to the story. I ended up skimming through most of the next three chapters and then just skipped to the end. Most of the dialogue and character interactions felt contrived, not to mention a bit cliched. I will most likely not read the next book in this series.
Grey853
Mar 09, 2011 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Caroline
Feb 21, 2011 Caroline rated it it was ok
Took me a while to get into this book. I'm not into lobster (allergic to shellfish) but I like the Maine town and some of the characters so I can't put my finger on why this left me kind of blah. I don't know - it was kind of dry or something. But I still plan to read the next book in the series and hope it gets better.
Charlene Amsden
Apr 01, 2011 Charlene Amsden rated it really liked it
Fun, fun story! I read this one with a big grin on my face. Not everyone is who or what they seem to be in this not-so-sleepy little Maine town. As a sleuth Candy relied just a little too much on luck and circumstance for this to be a five star book, but it is fun and light and well worth reading.
Madonna
May 31, 2011 Madonna rated it it was ok
I was hoping Candy would have developed more in this book. I still like the other characters. Don't think I'll try any of the recipes in the back. A quick, enjoyable read not dependent on the first in the series, although references are made to the first book.
I want to know what happened to the torn-out pages from the ledger. Maybe that will be addressed in the 3rd book, which I'll read.
Kate
May 06, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I liked this book, but like the last one in the series I thought it was a bit slow and long winded. There are so many useless details that are added in for no purpose,sometimes full paragraphs worth of them! If you can look past that and learn to skim a bit, this book can be a pretty enjoyable read.
Vera
Feb 03, 2016 Vera rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Candy Holiday is back in another puzzler. Now a reporter for the local paper, Candy is chosen as a last minute substitute judge in a lobster stew contest. She is replacing a former several time winner who seems to be missing. Later, she finds him, and another mystery. Good read.
Lindsay
May 07, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I've started reading this book a few times and could never get very far, but I wanted to get caught up in this series so I just stuck it out this time.
It actually wasn't that bad, but way to long. I thought all the lobster stew talk would make me hungry, but surprisingly it didn't.
Natalie
I think if I found other books from this series I would read them but I probably wouldn't seek them out. the NE coast appeals to me. it was a decent mystery and not nearly as gimmicky as the title suggests :-)
Lisa
Jul 21, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a very busy murder mystery book with lots of action. Several characters have major story lines which trick you into identifying the wrong murderer. The book is set in Maine and has a lot of down home New England charm.
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
B. B. Haywood is a pseudonym of writing team Beth Feeman and Robert Feeman. They conceived the idea for the Candy Holliday mysteries while driving around the Maine countryside, stopping at different small towns throughout the state.

Series:
* Candy Holliday
More about B.B. Haywood...

A Candy Holliday Mystery (8 books)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
  • Town in a Pumpkin Bash  (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #4)
  • Town in a Strawberry Swirl (A Candy Holliday Mystery #5)
  • Town in a Sweet Pickle (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #6)
  • Town in a Cinnamon Toast (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #7)
  • Town in a Maple Madness