Start by marking “Secret Matter” as Want to Read:
Secret Matter

Secret Matter

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The winner of a Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Science Fiction and bestselling novel, Secret Matter returns to print in a revised edition for the 21st century.

Kevin Anderson is moving along through his life, finishing up college, and getting ready to leave New York for an internship rebuilding San Francisco after an immense earthquake.
Then the Visitors arrive; a rac
Published November 1st 2005 by Lethe Press (first published July 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Matter

My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyBroken Boundaries by Evangeline AndersonAn Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBrideOutcast Mine by Jamie Craig
Best Gay Spacemen
96th out of 181 books — 327 voters
Fatal Shadows by Josh LanyonBareback by Chris OwenAlmost Like Being in Love by Steve KlugerA Dangerous Thing by Josh LanyonThe Phoenix by Ruth Sims
Best Gay Romance Published Between 2000 - 2005
58th out of 82 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Benjamin
Feb 18, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-sci-fi
In the near future, Kevin Anderson is about to graduate, leave New York and move to San Francisco to start his first job as a young architect helping to rebuild the city recently all but destroyed in the recent earthquake. Just before his departure his old room-mate tries to get him to come to terms with being gay, but Kevin continues to live in denial. However events will force a change of heart soon after his arrival in San Francisco.

Recently the Visitors arrived landing in major cities throu
Andune
Mar 23, 2012 Andune rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-gay-fiction
Secret Matter is a science fiction novel with a romantic and comedic streak. It centers on the story of a young architect, Kevin Anderson, who comes into contact with the Visitors from a parallel Earth. The story has many insightful dialogues on human nature and the author handles the construction of an alternate world with fluidity.

My only setback with this novel was that towards the end I began to feel like the book was lecturing me and the metaphysical concepts felt a little forced into the
LutaWolf
Jul 10, 2011 LutaWolf rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, nook-lendable
Okay nobody hit me with eggs but I really didn't get into this. It was slow and not connected. So many different points of view that read like a newspaper rather than you falling into a story and connecting. I got the idealism and the message but it's not a well told story. The plot just didn't do it for me. It might possibly be that I'm not into Christian based religious books. I felt more like this story was built more for the author to express their views of how the bible should be taken. How ...more
Furio
Jan 12, 2014 Furio rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, gay-sf, gay-romance
My personal problem with this book is that I cannot relate with the two main characters.
The religion-inspired soul-tearing guilts that torment young innocent Kevin are as far from my background as the blinding perfection of sweet-natured, understanding, sincere 'Bel.

It is my problem of course but I also think that such a conflict as Kevin experiences is, fictionally speaking, somewhat obsolete and perhaps only poignant for gay youngsters belonging to certain religious communities.

It is not my wi
David
This would make a great 80s television show. The characters are simple, the love story between a nonHuman Visitor and a fresh college grad, is pure and innocent, and this love affair saves life on two PLANETS! It is exuberant and super quick but totally superficial.
Scott Matthew
Nov 22, 2011 Scott Matthew rated it it was ok
Joe Scholes
Mar 01, 2012 Joe Scholes rated it did not like it
A third of the way through, and I just got bored with it. The main character deals with his own repressed homosexuality while getting romantically involved with an alien from space! The book was written long ago when it was almost obligatory to stay in the closet, so the main character's introspection and growth are pertinent to the time period in which it was written. Delivery wrapped in a sci-fi story was a clever way to get the real issue out where it could be openly examined, and possibly se ...more
Toni (U.A.C.)
Jul 01, 2010 Toni (U.A.C.) rated it really liked it
It was a little slow going reading this. The pace was almost too slow for me, but it was good nonetheless. I was glad that I didn’t give up on it and continued to finish. I especially liked the ending…it was a beautiful, thought provoking ending. It can’t help but inspire “what if’s”.
Nick
Sep 16, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel and I can't wait to buy the revised edition to see what the author has changed! I've read and re-read this book many times.
Bill
Feb 19, 2010 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who can read
A brilliant conflation of quantum physics, socialogy, religion and sexuality in a seemingly 1st contact science fiction novel.
Mark p
Mark p marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Del
Del rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Nikki
Nikki added it
Jun 03, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Bee Reader
Bee Reader marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
IndolentEmollient
IndolentEmollient rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2015
Ikhneumon
Ikhneumon marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Elyse Anderson
Elyse Anderson marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Art
Art rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Fae
Fae added it
Apr 30, 2015
Eryc
Eryc rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Nielcat
Nielcat rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Lindsay Johnson
Lindsay Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Horace Brock
Horace Brock rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Native
Native rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015