Start by marking “Où j'ai laissé mon âme” as Want to Read:
Où j'ai laissé mon âme

Où j'ai laissé mon âme

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
1957, Alger. Le capitaine André Degorce retrouve le lieutenant Horace Andreani avec lequel il a affronté l'horreur des combats puis de la détention en Indochine. Désormais, les prisonniers passent des mains de Degorce à celles d'Andreani, d'un tortionnaire à l'autre : les victimes sont devenues bourreaux. Autour de Tahar, figure étonnamment christique de la rébellion, les ...more
Broché, 157 pages
Published August 2010 by Actes sud (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Où j'ai laissé mon âme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Où j'ai laissé mon âme

Cristo, capitano, non avevi neanche vent’anni e sei stato torturato dalla Gestapo, tu giovane partigiano francese, e poi mandato a Buchenwald.
Hai conosciuto la disfatta di Điện Biên Phủ, e i campi vietnamiti.
Come hai fatto a diventare un torturatore tu stesso, in Algeria? Torturi gente che vuole la libertà e l’indipendenza. Come è possibile che da vittima sei diventato carnefice?
Lo so, lo sento, lo leggo, il tormento, il rimorso, il senso di colpa, la vergogna, ti sconqu
The author opens the novel with the first-person narration of a character whose identity is not immediately unveiled to the reader and who, on top of this, addresses a second character whose identity is also unknown. This device initially irritated me, as a -possibly unnecessary- display of authorial mastery.
Once I overcame this slight irritation, though, the book won me entirely. As with every good and great book, with "Ou j'ai laisse mon ame" we have a novel that allows for many levels of int
Bob Finch
Michael Pennington
I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the stream of consciousness narrative, maybe the translation.
Sans concessions, ce roman explore les méandres de l'âme à travers un sombre épisode historique, la guerre d'Algérie.
Rishikeesh Wijaya
incredibly depressing.
What a book!!! I loved every second of it, but l should actually give it two separate stars, 4* for the story itself and 5* for the parts that contain Andreani's letter.. It is those parts that make the book so special- they sound like poetry in prose and they captured me entirely..
David Kenvyn
A difficult read because it is a descent into hell. But it is also a beautifully written, elegiac account of how simple it is to begin such a descent, and then not to be able to turn away from the road. Remember that we are all capable of making this mistake.
Helen Stanton

A truly excellent and interesting book ( available in English as Where I Left My Soul). An examination of good and evil can a victim become a perpetrator..... Beautifully written.
Ecriture magnifique, élégance et horreur mêlées à l'extrême, et laissent une impression dérangeante; très différent mais à la manière des "bienveillantes" ...
Superbe livre qui laisse silencieux supérieur au Goncourt indéniablement.
Cecile Weltman
Cecile Weltman marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Lucile marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Katri is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2015
Anta marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Gwendoline is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
Brainx marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Typographic Man
Typographic Man marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Akemi Ramos
Akemi Ramos marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Euskal Srpski
Euskal Srpski marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Helen Ni
Helen Ni marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jérôme Ferrari is a French writer and translator born in 1968 in Paris. He won the 2012 Prix Goncourt for his novel Le Sermon sur la chute de Rome ("The Sermon on the Fall of Rome").

Ferrari has lived in Corsica and taught philosophy at the lycée international Alexandre-Dumas in Algiers for several years, then at the Lycée Fesch of Ajaccio.
Currently, he is professor of philosophy at the French Scho
More about Jérôme Ferrari...