Start by marking “Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1)

Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar #1)

NY Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author Bob Mayer

Over four million books sold. Translated into over a dozen languages.

"Heart-racing, non-stop action that is difficult to put down."-Mystery News on Bodyguard of Lies

"Thelma and Louise go clandestine."-Kirkus Reviews on Bodyguard of Lies

“In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended b
Nook
Published April 2nd 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bodyguard of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodyguard of Lies

Heatheraine
Jan 13, 2011 Heatheraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SYNOPSIS:

In BODYGUARD OF LIES by Bob Mayer (ePublished 2010) hidden deep within the United States, the Cellar is a secret spy organization who polices the world of covert operations. Two women from completely different walks of life are thrown into a dangerous fight for their lives like a modern day Thelma and Louise. Kindle Edition from Author

Neeley is the lover and apprentice of one of the Cellar’s now dead operative, Anthony Gant. After his death, Neeley searches out the mysteries that Gant
Tina Simmons
Oct 22, 2014 Tina Simmons rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book has the unfortunate distinction of being the first book I completely figured out before the ending. It was predictable to an extreme fault. I also really struggled with the weak characters. I am a well read woman, however, I would not be able to fly a plane, fire a gun.under pressure, or many of the amazing feats the lead character did, just by reading good books. gag.
Roger John Jones
A good yarn

Not one of his best. But a good story. I will be interested to see where he takes the series. It is possible I will like book 2 more.
J.
Feb 15, 2011 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Richard
I enjoyed The Devil's Triangle series, The Dave Riley series and the Nightstalker series. This first book in the Cellar series has plot, character and action. It needs a reader. I had a lot of trouble with Diane Havens narration. her voice is flat with little inflection, no differentiation between characters and little emotion. This hurts my appreciation of the work. Keep writing Mr. Mayer, but please get a different reader for this series.
Stephane Gagnon
Mar 04, 2017 Stephane Gagnon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book but the writer needs to fire his editor! Otherwise i would've give him a five star, i will still read more of this series though.
Shelley
Nov 08, 2010 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storyline: Two women become inextricably involved in a dangerous web of lies, intrigue, and betrayal as they fight for their very lives to stay one step ahead of those who want them dead.

Neeley is the lover and protegee to Tony Gant, a Cellar operative who dies after a long struggle with cancer and now she has to try to pick up the pieces of what was his life. Before he dies, he taught Neeley everything she needed to know in order to survive. Including, becoming a excellent sniper. Neeley tries
Tara Chevrestt
Oct 11, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book has a lot of riddles.. While readers try to figure out what happened to a group of military men in Somalia years ago to cause such fear that the men are either in hiding or dying, they must also figure out the characters and how they fit it. Gant, a military man at the heart of it, that trained Neeley, his girlfriend, dies and his life is a complete mystery. Neeley's life before Gant trained her to be an operative is mostly unknown. John disappears leaving his wife Hannah with a thousa ...more
Sheri Wilkerson
Apr 06, 2013 Sheri Wilkerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bodyguard of Lies is the story of Neeley, a woman who discovers that all is not as it seems in her world. As a teenager, her lover gives her a package to take on a plane and she realizes that it is actually a bomb. Enter Gant, a mysterious dark man who very calmly disarms the bomb and takes Neeley to live with him. Ten years later he is dead and Neeley is left holding the clues that will keep her alive--that is, if she is smart enough and resourceful enough to figure them out.

Hannah Masterson's
Betty
Oct 11, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concept for a thriller, especially since, IMO, the Mogadishu calamity hasn't received nearly sufficient attention as a trigger for espionage suspense novels. And Mayer actually did a fairly credible job writing his two female lead characters. The editing/proofreading sucked though, enough that this is really closer to 3.5 stars. It is possible to make a proper noun ending in S possessive. All it takes is a freakin' apostrophe. Someone should have used a few of them. Okay, a lot of them. But ...more
Larry B Gray
Jul 28, 2012 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading an action packed spy/intrigue adventure novel and “Bodyguard of Lies” by Bob Mayer is just such a book. This novel was a real page turner and hard to put down.

The author has an excellent way of pulling you into the story and keeping you on the edge of your seat. The storyline is well developed and fast paced, yet easy to follow and keep up with.

The characters are believable and easy to identify with. I found myself cheering their successes and holding my breath during thei
Marti
Oct 21, 2013 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rather exciting book. Essentially, the husbands of Neely and Hannah are out of the picture, and now Neeley has to teach Hannah how to stay alive and elude the people who are out to kill them. The head of the espionage program is a man who was blinded years ago by the enemy, and who is looking to retire. This takes place in the US and France. There are various ways of eluding pursurers, and Hannah proves to be quite adept at some of them. The title refers to a quote by Winston Churchill ...more
Arthur
Dec 03, 2016 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bodyguard of Lies (Cellar #1)

Does the term "plausible deniability" mean something to you? If so, you're going to get to the plot Mayer has laid out in this story. If not, then hang on, you're in for quite a ride. This is as dark as it goes, completely off the record, hidden from everyone except those in the Cellar. You might gain some insight into an actual event turned into a top movie "BLACKHAWK DOWN!" Either way, this is a great read and one you are being asked to check out.
Maryclaire Zampogna
I read the Nook edition of this book. It was a very interesting read. Somewhat of a thriller, that you keep reading just to find out more. The two women in this book are enemies but work together to save their lives. The women take down men and other items to save themselves, and learn their physical, emontional capacities. It is a long book but moves very fast. They are always on the run.
Victor Muthoka
An interesting read. Two women both left by the men in their lives via different circumstances, find themselves thrown together in a race to saver heir lives by beating a super covert government agency.

Will they beat the clock? Will they find or lose themselves at the end of it all? A thrilling read that will grip you till the end.
Benton Mcpeak
Feb 09, 2014 Benton Mcpeak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bob-mayer
Many times when I finish a Mayer book I feel like it is the best one yet. Bodyguard of Lies is no different. The characters are fantastic and the story line kept me turning the pages. I'll read the next one in the series.
Diane Burton
Jan 03, 2015 Diane Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of the seat action. Two women (strangers) on the run. Mayer develops the different characters well. Neely the assassin; Hannah the housewife. I read the last third of the book in one sitting. Had to find out what happened.
Robbie
Robbie gives this one 4.8 stars. Very well-written, fast-moving, couldn't-put-it-down kind of book. This is my first book to read by this author. I hope there are more. Jim rated this one 4.5 stars.
Marty
Oct 22, 2013 Marty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as bad as some but not worth the time. I hate to try and remember a guy's name so I can avoid his writing but i think maybe in this case I should.
Slobodan Milasin
very nice book

I read book in 2 days, very interesting and intriguing story about cellar, looking forward to read another book frm this series
Paul
Dec 19, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when the wives of spies get pissed.
AH
Kindle free download 7/24/12.
Victoria Mcvicker
Sep 27, 2013 Victoria Mcvicker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty decent mystery with pretty decent character development.
Valerie Rucks
Sep 30, 2013 Valerie Rucks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this one down, superb plot twists, intriguing characters, looking forward more reading in this series.
Jim
Nov 14, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read.....hard to put book down
David Nelms
Mar 04, 2012 David Nelms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book... never saw the ending happening as it did. Great overall plot.
Noel
Jun 28, 2014 Noel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fast not uninteresting read, but too generic, violent, with not enough history/intrigue for me!
Greg Coggiola
Aug 03, 2012 Greg Coggiola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great read with an Interesting little twist at the end. Plenty of action and the kind of book that's hard to put down
Jared
Aug 23, 2011 Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-thriller
I love this author. The characters ring true and the storyline is easy to get into.
Becky
Jun 09, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-star for grammatical errors

An excellent addition to the Bob Mayer works. Sadly, errors in grammar, spelling, and confusion of characters prevent 5 stars.
  • Lord James Harrington and the Autumn Mystery (Lord James Harrington Mysteries Book 4)
  • Tell Me When It Hurts
  • Amongst My Enemies
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Solomon's Throne
  • Native Blood (Small Town Sheriff With Big Time Trouble)
  • Hard Target (OPSIG Team Black #2)
  • The Colonel's Mistake
  • Daisy's War
  • Miss Davenport's Christmas
  • Dancing with Deception (Avery Family Saga, #1)
  • The Templar Vault
  • Awakening
  • So Terrible a Storm: A Tale of Fury on Lake Superior
  • First Lady Down
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Illegal
  • Final Passage
19006
I'm a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. I've sold over five million books. I'm also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

I read whatever my wife tells me to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show (she also always has the TV remote and she's always right about what to watch). I read a lot of nonfiction, mostly
More about Bob Mayer...

The Cellar (2 books)
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)