Start by marking “Consciousness - An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Consciousness - An Introduction

Consciousness - An Introduction

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Written by one of the world's foremost experts and covering neuroscientific, psychological and philosophical theories, this is the definitive text for all students of consciousness.
Published 2007 by Hodder Arnold (first published May 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Consciousness - An Introduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consciousness - An Introduction

Kayson Fakhar
کاملاً مختصر مفید.
احتمالاً یه ادیشن دیگه بود ولی فارسیش ۲۰۰ صفحست.
Tyson Schindler
Spoiler alert! Consciousness, and it's by-product, free will, are mere illusions. But, useful and (somewhat) necessary ones. A great introductory (i.e. short and written for the layperson) exposition into human ("is there any other kind?" is a topic included) consciousness...
Semiophrenic
It is definitely an introduction, but over 450 pages is not "very short." The main concern in this book lies with the chasm between material brain and immaterial consciousness. It is written as a textbook, embraces many aspects of human consciousness, explains theories and introduces ideas. The jorgon demands some gnawing through, especially when one meets the words "homunculus," "skein," and "phlogiston" in the same sentence and does not happen to have a dictionary at hand. The best bits, I thi ...more
Björn
Though merely an introduction, Susan Blackmore's CONSCIOUSNESS is surprisingly thorough. So thorough, in fact, that one occasionally wishes she'd just get on with it. This book is full to the brim with theories, hypothesis and potential explanations – which are all interesting, especially in light of the fact that consciousness is very difficult even to define.

I give this book high marks, especially due to its logical and clear structure. I imagine that it can be used as a reference work, and in
Kaovsh Hosseyni
A perfect and clean survey of controversial points over consciousness. Every statement of the books worth reading. I enjoyed reading this precious book.
Azaïs Hunter
As the title would indicate this book introduces consciousness.
It is well written and neutral, and covers many competing theories from a scientific point.
If you follow the exercises, then this will probably change the way you think about many of the problems and experiences raised by consciousness.
But as the author had warned, the book will leave you perplexed about consciousness at the end.

A very good read and highly enlightening.
Not a very good textbook. Way too informal and disorganized. A lot of the content was interesting, but there was an awful amount of filler - I felt like it could have been edited down to a quarter of its size easily. Sometimes it felt like a book for early high school students, but at the same time contained upper level university content. I also would have liked to see a whole lot more science/psychology and a whole lot less opinion.
Damon
Brilliant summary of issues in consciousness studies from phil of mind, neuro of mind, non ordinary mind and much more. Essential primary text for the B.A. in liberal studies course I will teach post MA grad next year!!

The answer is: substance monism, property dualism, humanistic enrichment of the neurologic and Grofian holotropic theory!! Poo on Dennett and his mechanistic nonsense.
Dan
It took me a long time to slog all the way through this. After all, it really is a college textbook more than anything else. However, even years later I find myself recalling things from it and have a real appreciation both for the author's writing and the subject itself. I do occasionally go back and read small sections.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
An extremely readable and user-friendly textbook introduction to a complex but important subject, with appropriate considerations of the main bodies of thought on consciousness. Very highly recommended!
Aloysius
Consciousness, a really hard topic to teach much less write about. Book follows a more philosophical route - which is fine, but personally I'm more a neuroscience/neuropsych-ish believer.
Richard Houchin
This is a great book for an introduction on consciousness and the human sensory organs. Chock full of fun examples of things like saccades and blind spots, this is an easy read.
Mark
Great overview of the problems, studies, and state of thought surrounding human consciousness. Easy to read, and a great introduction for anyone intrigued by the subject.
Jonathanstray Stray
Clear, insightful, open minded, yet ABSOLUTELY NO HIPPIE BULLSHIT on a topic that is really rife with it.
Justin Ramos
What is consciousness?
What is qualia?
Hard Problem?
Mind-body problem?
Mary experiment
Lynn
This is very much like a textbook, and the best textbook I've read. What a great book!
Will Napier
Textbook for one of the modules I teach. Good, clear. Plugs Buddhism at the end.
AJ
Great introduction into the major problems of thinking about consciousness.
Tom
Excellent introduction.
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
James Brown
James Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Slightly Devious
Slightly Devious marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Marc Knobbe
Marc Knobbe marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings
  • The Mystery Of Consciousness
  • The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from Our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans
  • Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
  • Neuroscience
  • The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener
  • Philosophy of Mind
  • Matter and Consciousness: A Contemporary Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind
  • Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness
  • Freedom Evolves
  • Neurophilosophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain
Susan Jane Blackmore is a freelance writer, lecturer and broadcaster, and a Visiting Professor at the University of Plymouth. She has a degree in psychology and physiology from Oxford University (1973) and a PhD in parapsychology from the University of Surrey (1980). Her research interests include memes, evolutionary theory, consciousness, and meditation. She practices Zen and campaigns for drug l ...more
More about Susan J. Blackmore...
The Meme Machine Conversations on Consciousness: What the Best Minds Think about the Brain, Free Will, and What It Means to Be Human Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction Ten Zen Questions Zen and the Art of Consciousness