Start by marking “Walker of Time” as Want to Read:
Walker of Time

Walker of Time

A compelling story of a 15-year-old Hopi Indian boy, Walker Talayesva, and his companion, Tag, who stumble into the midst of Walker's ancestral home. Second book in the series: Walker's Journey Home Third book: Tag Against Time
Published May 1st 1993 by Roberts Rinehart Publishers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Walker of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walker of Time

Zephyr Smith
Walker of Time was the story of a 15 year old Hopi boy named Walker Talayesva. After the unfortunate death of his Uncle Naat, Walker finds himself chasing a legend of his Uncle's past through Walnut Canyon. Throughout his exploration Walker finds Tag, the son of an archeologist in Walnut Canyon. The 2 of them end up getting zapped 800 years in the past. Walker and Tag soon run into an ancient Indian civilization that is extremely similar to the Hopi that Walker came from.

I found that Walker Of T
Emily
Oct 11, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
In Northern Arizona, in a hopi reservation, there is a young man named Walker. Walker's uncle was very ill and died. Before hand, his uncle gave him a backpack and told him to go to Walnut canyon. Walnut canyon in a old ancient settlement where the indian just disappeared. In the canyon he must go in a cave and return the contents of the backpack. To his suprise a tall white young man named Tag came in the cave just as a briliant white lightning bolt zapped a tree by the cave and transported ...more
Brad Nolte
Oct 12, 2011 Brad Nolte rated it did not like it
Walker Of Time is avery interesting book. In the begginning of the book it's descrbing how Walkers life was when Naat, his uncle and only guardian, was alive. Right in the begginning Naat dies so most of the story is about Walkers adventures. His adventures begin when he finds the cave that Naat sent him to after his death. When he puts the stick that he brought on a statue lightning strikes and a kid named Tag and him are zapped back in time. While back in time they have to deal with the ...more
Judy
Jul 25, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
This is volume one in a three book series that focuses on the Hopi culture of both today and long ago. I appreciate the focus on the natural environment and the descriptions of how people lived when the cliff houses and mesa dwellings were still in use. Kids who aren't avid readers may have a hard time connecting with the story, especially since it is so different from the modern settings in most books that are popular today.

Walker (age 15) lives on one of the mesas and has been taught the old H
Spencer Torrico
Jul 12, 2013 Spencer Torrico rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was read this book back when I was in 3rd grade by my teacher (I'm 26 now), and I remember this book being so mysterious and amazing to me back then. After so long, I just bought this book and re-read it to see if it had the same "magical" feeling that it once had on my younger self. And it did, I was actually surprised by how much I still remembered from it.
The one thing I'd say to people who are about to read this is remember this is a book for young readers, and came out in the early '90s
Irene McHugh
Mar 24, 2011 Irene McHugh rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Irene by: Cindy
When I was in middle school, I visited Mesa Verde National Park. I was captivated by the dwellings left there and the mystery of what happened to the Pueblo people. This book capitalizes on this wonder and more. You can tell that the author researched the different theories on what happened to these ancestral people, so you get a nice historical-fiction angle. The time travel component adds a nice sci-fiction twist for the two boys to have quite an adventure. I remember reading this book quickly ...more
Lars Guthrie
Oct 12, 2008 Lars Guthrie rated it it was ok
What I read on my vacation part five. Bought this in the bookstore at the Kolb Studio in Grand Canyon Village, where we had gone to see the extraordinary exhibit about the Civilian Conservation Corps. The connection to the disappearance of the Sinagua and the possible link between those ancient people and the Hopi held my interest, but the writing was lackluster and I found the character of Tag, apparently in the story because he's white and can therefore offer more meaningful exposition, ...more
Marianne
Jul 25, 2008 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jr-mystery
A fifteen-year-old boy and friend travel back 800 years in time to the world of the Sinagua culture, who are in beset by drought and illness and in need of a leader. This is the first in a triology and also has a teacher's guide to it. Very descriptive YA book.
Jim
Apr 20, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
Native American legends (Hopi) of the cliff dwellers of Walnut Canyon exodus from their ancestral home to the Hopi mesas. A couple of modern day (90's) teens get sucked back in time and get to live through what happened during this mysterious event.
Elise
Jun 04, 2009 Elise rated it really liked it
I read this book aloud to my 6th grade class in Kingman, AZ. It was awesome because we took a field trip to the setting of this story and we got to see where he lived. The kids loved it and it kept us glued to our seat wanting more!
Beth
Apr 02, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This young adult book is about a contemporary Hopi boy who is transported back to the time of pre-historic Native Americans who lived in the Verde Valley. I chose it because I got to see ancient cliff ruins of pre-Hopi natives when we were in Arizona last month.
LeAnne
Feb 16, 2016 LeAnne rated it really liked it
Good characters, convincing cultural details, believable plot. There is some traditional religion, but not presented in a way that would be offensive to Christians.
Emmy
Emmy rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Rowan Wolf
Rowan Wolf rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jessi Feltes
Jessi Feltes rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Madison
Madison rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
V
V rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
May 19, 2011
M. Weaver
M. Weaver rated it really liked it
May 07, 2007
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Morelia Del Moral
Morelia Del Moral rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Tiffany Mathews
Tiffany Mathews rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Britt Mckinley
Britt Mckinley rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013