Start by marking “Au Revoir: Running Away from Home at Fifty” as Want to Read:
Au Revoir: Running Away from Home at Fifty

Au Revoir: Running Away from Home at Fifty

Living the good life in the Blue Mountains in Australia with her husband, four grown-up children and four grandchildren, Mary Moody's life was full. But she felt she never had a moment alone, so she ran away to live on her own for six glorious months in the rural paradise of southwest France.
Published 2007 by Murdoch Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Au Revoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Au Revoir

Apr 13, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I recommend this book for women who invest considerably in supporting other people all their lives, and do not have the capacity to follow their own passions- in this case Mary's love of France, and the small community that she builds around herself in Frayssinet-le-Gelat. The first part of an excellent four part autobiography. I liked her analysis of the impact of her fast living, war correspondant and newspaper editor father -Theo Moody on her family, and how she really dedicates most of her l ...more
Dec 04, 2014 Dale rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
Attracted to this book because of the combination of Australian author and the opportunity for a vicarious escape to rural France; it delivered both those, plus more and less. The book details a great deal about the author's life up to the point of the trip as background and discloses a lot of her personal, family life and thoughts - she gets an A for honesty! Mary Moody has written several more books in the series, for which I'm engaged enough to read the next, Last Tango in Toulouse. After tha ...more
Last October, I went to Paris for two nights and two days, with my 26 year old daughter, who I haven't seen for two years, and my sister and thirty something niece, who I haven't seen in longer than that! So being over fifty, I jumped at this book when I saw it in a second hand store! Standing in the street, reading the back cover, I started dreaming about my time there and only dreaming of what it would be like to spend SIX MONTHS there!
I started off being disinterested in this novel, but Mary
Feb 09, 2013 George rated it liked it
An autobiography about the authors experiences in living six months in Southern France, her relationship with her mother and father and her husband and children. She decided that she needed time off from her hectic family life in Australia and decided at age 50 to take a trip to France by herself. She is a journalist / gardener who takes a trip each year to Northern India for a week as hostess focussing on plants and an exhilarating walk / climb. Some parts of the book are quite interesting. Her ...more
Jan 23, 2016 Marie-louise rated it it was amazing
Re read this book and enjoyed it even more this time. Have to read the next few too. Wonder what she is up to now?
Denise Covey
Dec 09, 2015 Denise Covey rated it really liked it
Part of the running away from home trilogy as Mary runs from Australia to find life in France.
Jenny Housley
Jan 15, 2015 Jenny Housley rated it it was amazing
A jolly good read for those women that fancy some time to themselves. Look forward to reading the rest of the series
Jan 06, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Nice easy reading book for bedtime. Seeing as there is a possibility of a French move at some point I have taken to looking for any books on English speaking foreigners living in France. Mostly this one was focused on how much socialising and consequently food and drink she consumed whilst living in the South West for six months. It is of no use for practical advice but gives a fun insight into the positive aspects of living there and made for a enjoyable read.
May 11, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
Well, I suppose I really enjoyed it because Ms Moody stayed in 'my' part of France, not many miles from chez nous. I know the villages she talks about very well and could picture every bend in the road!

I could recognise the characters in her story, not because I know them personally, but because they are typical of characters (ex-pats and French) found all over France. I found the book easy in style and prose and fun. A nice, light, summer read.
Jan 18, 2014 Sally906 rated it it was ok
Transferred from spreadsheet
Clarissa Horwood
Nov 27, 2013 Clarissa Horwood rated it liked it
Au Revoir is an easy-read and rather interesting autobiographical account of Mary Moody’s life and relationships. It switches from accounts of her childhood to the exciting once-in-a-lifetime trip to Southern France, which she does alone. She is a good ambassador for the many women who juggle kids, work and a busy home. I enjoyed it.
Mar 14, 2009 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Yeuch! Wanted a little escapist dreaming, to be saturated with French sun and countryside and maybe a little inspiration to head off myself, but all I can hear is my mother-in-law speaking from every page! It's all so twee and the author so horribly smug. Basically a very dull and plodding diary account that holds no surprises.
Feb 09, 2010 Pbwritr rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, memoir
True story. Fifty-year-old Australian journalist "runs" away to France for six months to live. She has a glorious time--not much alone time. she falls in with an ex-pat English-speaking crowd, and ends up buying a house before she leaves. Very enjoyable and helps confirm our choice to buy a cabin in the place we love!
Kelly Higgins
It was really repetitive more than anything.
Jul 28, 2013 Zeelah rated it liked it
Light easy to read story about a woman, blessed with a beautiful family and career, who is fortunate enough to escape abroad for half a year. Whilst abroad she forms lifelong bonds with many locals and celebrates the simplistic side of life, food, wine, friendship, gardening.
Jan 15, 2013 Jacki rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book. Loved the author's descriptions of France and the people. Can't wait to read the second book in this series. Unfortunately I came across the third book first. (in one of my fav places - an op shop!)
Aug 02, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed all the books she wrote. I do wonder how much this was set up to promote the books. How or why the marriage survived I will never comprehend. Need to be a woman of 'a certain age' to read the series
Jan 12, 2014 Beáta rated it liked it
Shelves: liked
An Australian woman spent 6 months in South France. She writes about her impressions, experiences and adventures there. As I am interested in French culture, I found it interesting and entertaining.
Jul 08, 2007 Triffid rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Mary Moody is a 50 year old female Australian gardening writer and TV personality who went and lived in south-west France (without her husband) for 6 months and later bought a house there.
Typical book about France great food, little cute villages, same characters read so many I could actually write one but enjoyed it. I have the sequel to read also.
Dec 14, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light and easy read though her musings at time almost seem a little self-indulgent. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Hills of Tuscany by Ferenc Mate.
So exciting you're living Mary's experiences with her!
Patty Mcnamara
A very colorful story from a very colorful person.
Jan 14, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it
I could so relate to this
Sep 18, 2007 Christine rated it did not like it
She should of kept running!!
Jen Roe
it was ok
Wendy added it
Oct 20, 2016
Anne Edwards
Anne Edwards rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Jacqui rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Calee Spinney
Calee Spinney marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
  • Zambezi
  • Life in His Hands; the True Story of a Neurosurgeon and a Pianist
  • An Ordinary Epidemic
  • Girl of Shadows (Convict Girls #2)
  • Continental Drifter
  • The Well
  • In Love and War: Nursing Heroes
  • Currawong Manor
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • Castaway
  • Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime
  • Love and Hunger
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • The Blue Mile
  • The Landing
  • Peter Jackson: A Film-Maker's Journey
  • We Might As Well Win: On the Road to Success with the Mastermind Behind a Record-Setting EightTour de France Victories
  • Comeback 2.0: Up Close and Personal