Start by marking “There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around” as Want to Read:
There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  37 reviews
When Ted's five-year-old sister, Vicki, invents an imaginary friend, no one is too concerned . . . except that Vicki's friend has the never-popular name of Marella, and unlike most imaginary friends, Marella can move things. Ted might think Marella is a ghost, but why would a ghost haunt Vicki, of all people? And why would she suddenly move into a house Ted's family has li ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

Kitty Jay
What a fantastic title: There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around. For an author who claims to be no good at titles, this one piqued my interest immediately (not to mention the fact that Vivian Vande Velde was, and still is, one of my favorite authors from my childhood).

Ted, the young protagonist of the story, finds himself wrapped up in a ghostly mystery when his sister, Vicki, starts having nightmares and seeing a young girl and "bad lady" around their house. With the help of his cousi
Christina Vo
I remember buying this book during the memorable "book fair week" in 5th grade. I was going through a paranormal phase, reading about everything and anything that had to do with ghosts or "the other side".
This book kept me captivated and on the edge of my little 5th grade seat for days. While my teacher taught a lesson about the different kinds of clouds, I secretly held this book below my desk, out of my teacher's line of vision, and busied myself in chapter after chapter of the mysteries of V
Natalie
I liked the way this book explored the intersection between past and present in the landscape as well as the peoplescape.
Cathleen Ash
Have you ever seen or heard a ghost? Do you know someone who has? Well, Ted knows someone who has - and he didn't even go to a haunted house, and there was no storm, and no one ever died in the house where his family has lived forever, but still - his little sister saw a ghost.
Vicki sees Marella - and no one else can, but Vicki considers Marella to be her friend. Ted, and his older brother Zach think Vicki's gone bonkers and is making up an imaginary friend, just to get out of trouble.
At break
John Fannin
This book by Vivian Vande Velde is remarkable.Its about a family living in a house where a little kid's little sister is seeing things that cannot be explained. The little sister has been seeing this unknown thing and her brother wanted to get to the bottom of the footsteps his beeen hearing and the person that his little sister has been describing. As he found out, through his research, his house use to be where the slaves stayed when they where traveling during the underground railroad epidemi ...more
Emma
Me and my friend chose a random book to do for our project at school. And this was that random book it ended up being one of my favorites. We got it because it is short but if you read through it fast you won't understand it so it is best to take your time through it.
Wealhtheow
Ted is just trying to get through fifth grade, but his younger sister's imaginary friend starts making that difficult. It was bad enough when Vicki pretended "Marella" was sitting in chairs and talking to her, but then she started sleeping with a hammer under her bed to protect against another imaginary friend. Then Ted himself gets attacked by an unseen force, and he begins to suspect that they aren't Vicki's imaginary friends...they're ghosts.

Spooky but mostly sad, and most of the scares are b
Sara-Anne
This was one of the very few Vivian Vande Velde books I haven't read. She is one of my favorite authors. This book was a little different from some of her other works in that it was middle grade, and the protagonist was a boy. That being said, Vande Velde delivered, as usual. I was surprised how truly creepy some of the sections were! One thing I love about Vande Velde is that she never "writes down" (as someone might talk down) to her readers, even her younger ones. She doesn't stop to ask, is ...more
Selena
Omg i love this book. Its about a boy named ted and his sister is having dreams about ghosts but its acullay not a dream. Dont wanna tell you to much about the story
Susan Strayer
Great spooky story for 11 yr old kids and wimpy adults like myself. Just enough scariness but a good ending. The title's lame though.
Vision capone paul
From the start of it the book on the cover gives plenty reasons to want to know more. As to why the ghosts are following them? And maybe the ghost were always their just not to be seen? Or do they want someone's attention? the boy seems very frightned but concerned. The sister just seems to enjoy having a friend around its really creepy . The cover was really the main thing that caught my attention it sort of reminds me of when i'm at home by myself and i think someone is always watching me. sp ...more
Ms.
May 18, 2009 Ms. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alyssa
Recommended to Ms. by: bookfair
Shelves: nicole-n, alyssa-w
Emily Smith
One of my students brought this book to me and told me it is one of his favorites. As I began reading, I quickly became tangled in the story. Vivian Vande Velde did a wonderful job incorporating the historical details into this seemingly creepy story. I really enjoyed how Ted did some investigating to try to find out about the ghosts. The climax was really great, and I finished the book feeling very gratified with the conclusion. My students will love the suspense in this quick read.
Angela
I loved this book because it also taught me about some information about slavery in history. Also, I connected this book to the TV show Ghost Whisperer because it's about a ghost and Holes because it had mentioned digging a hole that was 6 feet deep which is close to what Stanley had to dig everyday. At first, this book gave me the creeps but later on in the book I wanted to continue reading the author made every end of the chapter feel like a mystery.
Kathleen Dixon
Ted's sister suddenly has an imaginary friend, but it starts getting a little spooky when the sister and her friend are both afraid of somebody else. And it gets even more spooky when the somebody else starts invading Ted's dreams!

I love the tone of Vande Velde's books. This book, though decidedly scary (I can just hear myself reading it aloud to my grandchildren in a few years - what fun!) still has the light, skittery tone of a boy.

Dexter
Very rarely does a book actually creep me out, but Vivian Vande Velde continues to do so. This book is creepy, funny, and sensible all put together to form...awesomeness. I love all the characters, especially Ted, the main character. There's enough humor to keep it from being overdramatic, but enough seriousness to make it scary, and the plot pans out perfectly with a great twist ending.
Sheri
There's A Dead Person Following My Sister Around (Vivian Vande Velde)
This was a very good ghost story with an interesting and nice twist. The end is bittersweet and the book has a bit of history in it. I highly recommend to young readers and those young at heart. This book was given to me by my daughter's friend and I am glad i had a chance to read it.
Jenny
Jed can't figure out why a ghost is haunting his sister. It isn't an anniversary of a death, it isn't Halloween, and his house is a normal place without dark moors, etc. But Vicky is not just making up an invisible friend. There is a sinister lady haunting Jed's dreams too. If he can't figure out who the ghosts are, Vicky may pay the price.
Stephen Smith
OK. This was a crazy book, but I did not put it down. The further I got, the more it kept me on edge. I can't stand horror films and they seem like a waist of good time, but reading this book was enjoyable. A little tough at times to keep up with, but overall it was good fantasy. Highly recommend it if you like a good mystery.
Maureen
It was a good read, and I finished it fairly quickly. A ghost living in their back yard, from the time of the civil war. Mother and daughter had been trying to escape but they were drowned on the eve of getting away, and now someone wanted to haunt the family. Could they figure it out before the ghost really hurt someone?
Jordan Rivera
This is one of my favorite books it has a twist to it right from the begging. it also has a crazy ending i really do not want to ruin it for you, but if you do decide to read this beware, you will never want to drop it you will get suck in.

Patience
i got this book at my school's book fair thinkin it wasnt goin 2 b good bt it was actualli a lil more interestin than i thought. n its 1 of those books dat tak u bac to d past n i lik those types onli if it doesnt talk bout d past all dat much.
Judy Desetti
Enjoyed this read about a boy who is trying to figure out who is haunting his house and sister. He unravels the mystery of two ghosts who had ties to the underground railroad and their tragic lives.

Good read.
Kimberly American
It was a good book.
Ardis
Vivian Vande Velde's books have the worst covers, but she's one of the best writers for young adults. Her books are never ordinary and filled with suspense and humor.
Vicki
Ted's 5 yr old sister Vicki has an imaginary friend which turns out to be a young ghost who died a terrible death 1 year before, but no on believes Ted. OK
Sandy
Ted's sister can see ghosts, but they don't seem to be very friendly, so Ted has to solve the mystery of their death and free his sister from being possessed.
This book looks like it was meant to be a thriller but never quite made it to the scary mark. Satisfying ending, though, therefore the three stars.
Sissy
This book was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was very spooky and suspenseful, so if you enjoy ghost stories, this book is for you!!!!!!!!
Alex Hernandez
There’s A Dead Person Fallowing My Sister Around
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World
  • Undead Ahead (The Zombie Chasers #2)
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Popular Vote
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • The Dead Boys
  • The Hanging Hill (Haunted Mystery, #2)
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Walt Disney World Trivia Book: Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic: Volume 1
  • The Ghost on the Stairs (Haunted, #1)
  • The Trespassers
  • The Haunting of Charles Dickens
  • 13 Hangmen
  • 100% Wolf
  • Just Another Day in My Insanely Real Life
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...
Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2) Dragon's Bait Companions of the Night The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Cloaked in Red