Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)

Dragon Magic (The Magic Books #4)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A Hidden Treasure
Sig, Artie, Kim, and Ras live in the same neighborhood and go to the same school, but they have nothing in common…until each of them sneaks into the old abandoned house on the corner and discovers the strange puzzle box covered with pictures of four dragons. Drawn by powerful magic, the boys find themselves bound together by a mystery that will transform t...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Starscape (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Magic

Valerie
I'sooth, I have two copies of this book--an older edition, and this one, which is less decrepit and better for repeated reading.

The book is a fast read, and the stories are so linked as to keep drawing you on to the next.

The stories are good examples of Norton's eclectic knowledge of the odd nooks and crevices of history. I believe that this was the first intimation I had about the Nubian pharaohs of Egypt, for example.

Praise aside, however, these stories still suffer from Norton's bete noir--a...more
Cinnamingirl
When I was younger I read a ton of books, and it is impossible for me to remember all their names. It's very frustrating to only remember pieces of a book, and to have no way of finding it again, which is a problem I frequently encounter.

This was one of those books I started reading and instantly remembered. I love puzzles, so that might be part of it, but I also could identify with the characters' feelings of loneliness and wanting to escape from their problems - then again, who hasn't? I hone...more
Emily
Well, I remembered really liking it when I was a kid, but it's just gone over like a lead balloon with my 8yo. It has all the pieces that should guarantee success - action, adventure, mystery, dragons - but he says "it's too hard to understand and i keep forgetting what's going on." And I have to say I agree with him. So we're going to shelve this one and try something else for now. Maybe we'll open it up again later.

For more book reviews, come visit my blog, Build Enough Bookshelves.
Emily
This book contains a collection of four stories tied together in an overarching story, but it is the smaller stories that intrigued me the most. I LOVE them. Each of the boys of the running story spend some time as a character in a dragon story--retold well-known dragon legends of different cultures. Each presents its culture uniquely and unforgettably. Andre Norton is a writer of junior/young adult (about age 9-13) novels that I intend to explore more thoroughly.
Doris
Dec 02, 2009 Doris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
A coming of age tale that opens the eyes of not one but four young males, each of whom believes himself unique and alone in a big new school.

A magic puzzle draws them in and makes them realize they are different but at the same time similar.

Excellent.
Ha Li
Jun 02, 2013 Ha Li rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: younger folk
For a kid's read it is really good! I was very surprised. It was the cover art that really attracted me to it, but the whole concept of it was very intriguing.
Liz Freya R
Liz Freya R marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Robert Stepien
Robert Stepien marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Willa Tsao
Willa Tsao marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jen Crady
Jen Crady marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Demian
Demian added it
Jul 27, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Adam Kokkonen
Adam Kokkonen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kidaraine
Kidaraine marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Trading Futures
  • Doctor Who: Mad Dogs and Englishmen
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Interference - Book Two
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • The Oak above the Kings (The Tales of Arthur, #2)
  • Davy
  • Cluster (Cluster, #1)
  • The Crimson Shard  (The Blackhope Enigma, #2)
  • A Distant Magic (Guardians, #3)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #1)
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • The Night Wanderer: A Native Gothic Novel
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • The Burrowers Beneath
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)