How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Don't Check Expense Accounts
"Quit" Is for Scrabble®
It's Okay to Be Quirky
Did you...more
Published May 15th 2002 by Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How to Become a Great Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Become a Great Boss

TarasProkopyuk
Книга достаточно хорошая, понятная и полезная, но для меня этих знаний уже не достаточно.

Тем, кому пока трудно даются академические книги, книги изданные школами МВА, издательством HBR, организациями типа McKinsey и ей подобными данную книгу можно смело рекомендовать. Кто же желает найти более серьёзные книги рекомендую искать по выше упоминаемых источниках, а также книги авторами которых являются признанные во всём мире профессоры, доктора наук и других не менее важных и авторитетных людей.
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - How to Become a Great Boss by Jeffrey J. Fox

With 50 Short Chapters, Catchy Phrases, Motivational Content and Simplistic Material Jeffrey J. Fox shares whatever wisdom he has to share and calls it a day. I think the chapters title would sum up the whole book for you, namely,

1. Only hire top-notch, excellent people.
2. Put the right people in the right job. Weed out the wrong people.
3. Tell the people what needs to be done.
4. Tell the people why it is needed.
5. Leave the...more
Bob Selden
How To Become A Great Boss is a book of rules and anecdotes. It’s easy to read – in fact it only took me about 2 hours from cover to cover. All the rules mentioned by Jeffrey J. Fox are appropriate and if applied, would work well for all bosses. Now there’s the rub – “if applied”. There is no suggestion in How To Become A Great Boss as to how one might apply these rules, merely a description of the rule and an anecdote to illustrate.

I liken How To Become A Great Boss to a New Year’s resolution...more
Matt Denton
Now that I'm in a Management/Sales role, I felt it was time to see what Jeffrey offered since his two rainmaker books helped me so much in becoming a better sales person. Like his other works, this book is to the point and 9 out of 10 chapters can be applied to my life.
Megan
Aug 05, 2008 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone who is just taking on a leadership role
Shelves: work
This book was a very quick read, but I kind of felt like it was a little too quick. He threw out terms that I had never heard before that sounded like things he just made up off the top of his head. I would think he was going to elaborate, but then he wouldn't.

He did make some good points. It was good to read through some "best practices" that he recommended just to have them fresh in my mind, but none of it was earth-shattering stuff... not that I expected it to be.

It was a good reminder of th...more
Judd
Simple. Straightforward. A great book for those thinking of starting their own small business to read first to help keep them motivated towards their goal.
Biblioworm
Букварь какой-то - огромный шрифт и интервалы между строк, большие поля на страницах, крошечные главки - максимум по три-четыре страницы этого формата, т..е сильно меньше обычной книжной страницы. Содержимое - тривиальности, с которыми не поспоришь, но которые сами по себе не помогают, проблема в их балансе и конкретном применении. Конкретные же примеры, крайне немногочисленные и предельно краткие, вызвали скорее недоумение - воспринимаются как не слишком удачные действия руководителя.
Sandra
This book was a realistic listing of the accomplishments, goals, and functions of a boss. It discusses the purpose of the customer and explains why the boss should care about those customers.

A small book, but it was full of truthful statements most businesses are afraid to say out loud.
Example:
"The customer is the real boss. And the dissatisfied customer fires employees every day" (page 11)

Awesome reading!
Denise
I didn't feel like there was any real value in this book. I disagreed would some of his points and would have liked chapters more than a page and a half long.
Took4ever Hayes
What to know what it really takes to become a great boss?
Read on...this book will tell you.
You may or may not like it. It tells it like it is ...
Shawn Thrasher
Nothing spectacular here. I guess we can always add tools to our toolbox. A book for business people to read on an airplane.
Sheena
This book was assigned to me to read by my boss, but I loved it. It was a great how to book on learning how to manage people.
Mitch Johnston
Very good quick read (probably the 4th time I've read it). Also liked his book "How To Become A Rainmaker."
Yan
It's not too wordy. Each chapter is short and hits to the point. I love the shared insights. Thank you.
Colby
A quick read full of common sense management techniques, quotes and strategies.
Bigbadjlk
yes, yes I read cheesy "self-helpish" books. annnnd I like them.
Dan
Good book with simplistic rules to follow. Ideal for any new leader.
Jeff Wilson
So so. Some decent leadership information.
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Amanda Cohen
Amanda Cohen is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Rick Downing
Rick Downing marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kanstancin
Kanstancin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Marion Mouton
Marion Mouton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
One-Click
One-Click marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth How to Become a Marketing Superstar: Unexpected Rules That Ring the Cash Register