Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees” as Want to Read:
How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees

by
3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  213 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
How to Become a Great Boss
Hardcover, 192 pages
Published May 15th 2002 by Hachette Books (first published 2002)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about How to Become a Great Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Become a Great Boss

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Loy Machedo
Jul 17, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - How to Become a Great Boss by Jeffrey J. Fox

With 50 Short Chapters, Catchy Phrases, Motivational Content and Simplistic Material Jeffrey J. Fox shares whatever wisdom he has to share and calls it a day. I think the chapters title would sum up the whole book for you, namely,

1. Only hire top-notch, excellent people.
2. Put the right people in the right job. Weed out the wrong people.
3. Tell the people what needs to be done.
4. Tell the people why it is needed.
5. Leave the
...more
Joshua
Sep 22, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it
Here's another great desk read to keep nearby the office. If you're looking for some intraday motivation, this book has you covered with common reminders of what it means to stand out as a First Class leader in your organization. If you're looking for an accessible resource to share with a new leader, this is still a winning text and fast read. It can help provide that "missing" insight for those lacking prior leadership experience. This likely won't be an eye-opening experience for many establi ...more
Bob Selden
Aug 04, 2008 Bob Selden rated it it was ok
How To Become A Great Boss is a book of rules and anecdotes. It’s easy to read – in fact it only took me about 2 hours from cover to cover. All the rules mentioned by Jeffrey J. Fox are appropriate and if applied, would work well for all bosses. Now there’s the rub – “if applied”. There is no suggestion in How To Become A Great Boss as to how one might apply these rules, merely a description of the rule and an anecdote to illustrate.

I liken How To Become A Great Boss to a New Year’s resolution
...more
Megan
Aug 05, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone who is just taking on a leadership role
Shelves: work
This book was a very quick read, but I kind of felt like it was a little too quick. He threw out terms that I had never heard before that sounded like things he just made up off the top of his head. I would think he was going to elaborate, but then he wouldn't.

He did make some good points. It was good to read through some "best practices" that he recommended just to have them fresh in my mind, but none of it was earth-shattering stuff... not that I expected it to be.

It was a good reminder of th
...more
TarasProkopyuk
Mar 31, 2013 TarasProkopyuk rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, business
Книга достаточно хорошая, понятная и полезная, но для меня этих знаний уже не достаточно.

Тем, кому пока трудно даются академические книги, книги изданные школами МВА, издательством HBR, организациями типа McKinsey и ей подобными данную книгу можно смело рекомендовать. Кто же желает найти более серьёзные книги рекомендую искать по выше упоминаемых источниках, а также книги авторами которых являются признанные во всём мире профессоры, доктора наук и других не менее важных и авторитетных людей.
Sandra
Feb 16, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it
This book was a realistic listing of the accomplishments, goals, and functions of a boss. It discusses the purpose of the customer and explains why the boss should care about those customers.

A small book, but it was full of truthful statements most businesses are afraid to say out loud.
Example:
"The customer is the real boss. And the dissatisfied customer fires employees every day" (page 11)

Awesome reading!
Biblioworm
Jul 08, 2011 Biblioworm rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, english
Букварь какой-то - огромный шрифт и интервалы между строк, большие поля на страницах, крошечные главки - максимум по три-четыре страницы этого формата, т..е сильно меньше обычной книжной страницы. Содержимое - тривиальности, с которыми не поспоришь, но которые сами по себе не помогают, проблема в их балансе и конкретном применении. Конкретные же примеры, крайне немногочисленные и предельно краткие, вызвали скорее недоумение - воспринимаются как не слишком удачные действия руководителя.
Matt Denton
Jul 11, 2014 Matt Denton rated it it was amazing
Now that I'm in a Management/Sales role, I felt it was time to see what Jeffrey offered since his two rainmaker books helped me so much in becoming a better sales person. Like his other works, this book is to the point and 9 out of 10 chapters can be applied to my life.
Aaron
Dec 26, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spot on

I read and re-read this book to remind myself what it takes to be a great boss. My favorite business book. Highly recommended.
Judd
Aug 02, 2014 Judd rated it liked it
Simple. Straightforward. A great book for those thinking of starting their own small business to read first to help keep them motivated towards their goal.
Andy Bernstein
Apr 22, 2016 Andy Bernstein rated it liked it
Pretty good. It's a short read. 2.5 hour audio book. Just high level broad list of suggestions and ideas on how to be a great boss.
Vladimir Rybalko
Mar 24, 2016 Vladimir Rybalko rated it it was amazing
Прекрасная книга коротких, но дельных советов. Очень импонирует тот факт, что советы нерасплывчаты и описаны на примерах жизненных ситуаций.
Yan
Apr 28, 2012 Yan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's not too wordy. Each chapter is short and hits to the point. I love the shared insights. Thank you.
Gina Smith
Oct 06, 2015 Gina Smith rated it really liked it
Inspiring, quaint, only slightly cheese-y, but nonetheless important, as this was a gift from my own boss.
Stepan
Oct 25, 2015 Stepan rated it it was amazing
It's a no nonsense guide. This is the third book from this offer I read. I love the author's humor and straight to the point approach.
Mitch Johnston
Apr 26, 2012 Mitch Johnston rated it really liked it
Very good quick read (probably the 4th time I've read it). Also liked his book "How To Become A Rainmaker."
Took4ever Hayes
Jan 25, 2008 Took4ever Hayes rated it really liked it
What to know what it really takes to become a great boss?
Read on...this book will tell you.
You may or may not like it. It tells it like it is ...
Denise
Feb 28, 2009 Denise rated it did not like it
I didn't feel like there was any real value in this book. I disagreed would some of his points and would have liked chapters more than a page and a half long.
Sheena
May 21, 2008 Sheena rated it really liked it
This book was assigned to me to read by my boss, but I loved it. It was a great how to book on learning how to manage people.
Shawn Thrasher
Nov 23, 2011 Shawn Thrasher rated it did not like it
Nothing spectacular here. I guess we can always add tools to our toolbox. A book for business people to read on an airplane.
Irfan Ahmed
Irfan Ahmed rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Cary
Cary rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Eric Arneson
Eric Arneson rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Shelly
Shelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2009
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Chuck Shrader
Chuck Shrader rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • 29 Leadership Secrets from Jack Welch
  • The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • Delivering Knock Your Socks Off Service
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • The Leader's Handbook: Making Things Happen, Getting Things Done
  • Selling the Dream
  • Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most
  • Letters from Leaders: Personal Advice for Tomorrow's Leaders from the World's Most Influential People
  • Selling To Vito: The Very Important Top Officer
  • The McKinsey Way
  • The Art of Creative Thinking: How to Be Innovative and Develop Great Ideas
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • Say It Right the First Time
  • CRM at the Speed of Light: Essential Customer Strategies for the 21st Century

Share This Book