Start by marking “Besser kochen mit Jamie” as Want to Read:
Besser kochen mit Jamie

Besser kochen mit Jamie

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  8,714 ratings  ·  97 reviews
This is my guide to making you a better cook and it's the biggest book I've ever done! I think it looks beautiful and is full of simple and accessible recipes (160 of them!) that will blow the socks off your family and any guests you might have round for dinner.

And that's not all ... there’s information on the equipment that I think you should have in your kitchen, advice
Published by Dorling Kindersley Verlag (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Besser kochen mit Jamie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besser kochen mit Jamie

Bevin
Jamie Oliver used to annoy me. His whole Naked Chef thing turned me off and I just kept wondering where his hands had been as they double dipped into each of his dishes. However, years have made me more forgiving and I find myself a bit in love with him. At the least, I want him to be my neighbor and make amazing pot luck dishes weekly! His passion for good, healthful cooking is inspirational and unlike other cooks of his fame and ilk, he doesn't shy away from vegetarian cooking.

"Cook with Jamie
Evelyn
I liked the writing bits more than the recipes. Lots of great tips and information in a very casual, easy to follow style. HUGE section on fish and seafood, every other section quite a lot smaller. I am not fond of fish and seafood so it was lost on me. Did find about a half dozen recipes I want to try though.
Sara Branmore
Love this book. It's a classic. All the cuts of meats described - where they are, what they mean. Love watching the guy on TV too. He looks really at home in his garden and his kitchen. Kudos to a good book.
Simon
Couldn't be without this
Kecia
Another book with all the bells and whistles I've come to love in Jamie's work. Jamie pairs his recipes with gorgeous photograpy and tons of information about food. No one else comes close as far as I can tell. I like the way he writes his recipes too. They are not exact but rather give the cook room to improvise which is how I was taught by my grandmother to cook. I had to return this one to the library before I was really ready so I hand copied a few recipes out by hand that I didn't have time ...more
Tricia
Unusually for a cookbook, I sat and read this from one end to the other. I looked it over for a few days, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

I requested this book because it said it would help me to be a better cook, and believe me, I need help. But this wasn't really how the book read. It seemed to be for people who know the basics but need some help with maybe adding in different dishes or flavours to their repetoire. Not for someone who can baely boil an egg or roast a chicken. With re
Catherine
This is probably my favourite of the Jamie Oliver cookbooks I own. It's certainly a cut above the casual meals in his 30 Minute Meals and Ministry of Food cook books but the recipes are still accessible to the home cook.
What's more there is plenty of information to help you improve your cooking skills and great appetising, full colour pictures of each recipe. The recipes emphasise fresh, healthy ingredients and they tend to be hearty and unpretentious meals.

I'd recommend this to someone who wan
Bookaholic
Intrebarea cine e Jamie sau care carte chiar nu se justifica, mai ales ca am avut surpriza sa descopar ca si un copil de 10 ani a auzit de chef-ul britanic si de cartea lui. Cum de unde, de la televizor. Asadar, intrebarea corecta ar fi: ce ne mai invata Jamie?

Pai la prima mana lucrurile de baza intr-ale bucatarelii ca la carte, un fel de abc pe care chiar daca crezi ca il stii nu strica sa-l mai citesti o data. Par exemplu: stii cum sa alegi pestele proaspat de la pescarie sau ca dupa ce ai las
Jeanette
I was given this book recently by a friend who knows just how much my husband loves to try Jamie Oliver recipes. I recall watching him on TV and he always made the recipes look so tempting. I do not like spices (unlike my husband), but many of his recipes are easily adaptable.
penny shima glanz
Yes it’s big, but it is packed with gorgeous pictures and amazing advice all fresh and real, like Jamie. Sure there were a few parts of chapters I all-out skipped (go kashrut) and one I skipped because of celiac. I ate quite a bit while pouring over this book (a good sign in my opinion) and I have come away with some ideas of how to implement the plan and some new ideas for serving gnocchi. I’m not going to return this library book quite yet as I make plans for post-pesach as well. I know a book ...more
Lidia
Jamie's approach to making food is all recipe and not technique. You don't need a full-time personal sous chef, or to master complicated knife skills, or have a lot of expensive restauraunt grade equipment to make his stuff work, which makes it my go-to book when I need weeknight inspiration. In fact, these recipes might even impress a foodie friend or two when hosting those special occasion dinner parties. These recipes aren't cutting edge but they aren't boring either - a perfect balance for t ...more
Matthew
One of my favorite cook books. Cooking from this book will improve your skills and make you a more competent cook.
Lindsey
This book is hit and miss for me. I want to love it, and I continually return to it, but I find the results inconsistent. I attempted a gnocchi recipe, and it was awful (though I fully accept much of the blame for this). It was also labour intensive; I've since tried another gnocchi recipe which had fewer steps and tasted better. However, the photographs are beautiful, and I do think this is a useful resource to have on your shelf. Steps are explained really well and it is more than just a colle ...more
Susanne
Jamie Oliver has always been one of my go-to chefs, and I wish this book had been around when I first started cooking for myself regularly because it would have topped up my knowledge nicely.

Even for an experienced cook like myself there will always be areas you are less confident in, so as well as yummy recipes I too have learnt a few new skills.

With meat sections that also show where each cut comes from, easy ways to cook and prepare different fish and a big list of vegetable dishes to go with
Michele
May 19, 2009 Michele rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All home cooks looking to be inspired!
I had forgotten I had bought this new book until my best friend from college visited recently and mentioned it to me. And she's right - it's fantastic. If you've ever seen Jamie Oliver cook on a TV show you know his style - authentic, simple, rustic, and full of amazing flavor. And that's how this books is laid out. Perhaps most telling is that his section on required kitchen gear is only 1 page listing only 11 things. But his chapters on food list tons of useful information about products, ingr ...more
Chimera
Jamie is Amazing chef He cqn make a perfect meal from anything.....
DeAnne
I adore Jamie. His recipes are rarely for the beginner, but for those comfortable in the kitchen, he offers some interesting twists on common food. A lot of his flavor profiles might be unfamiliar, but I think he does some really interesting things. This book is often my go-to book when I feel homesick for England, but want to do something different than bangers and mash or bubble and squeak. It's not, however, a book I use very often for day-to-day inspiration.
Kristy
I liked some of the recipies and the information and cooking tips. I din't like that he wrote "good quality" before almost everything in the ingredient list. Like he was certain we would go for the bargain maccaroni if he didn't include the words "good quality" before maccaroni. A little intro in the beginning stating his preference for all good quality ingrediants and organic or free range eggs would have been less annoying than reading it over and over.
Cynthia
Adorable, like all his books, and even though I took this one out from my local library, proceeds from book sales support his 15 foundation. I'd never heard of it before, but it gives folks having a hard time (drop out, cleaning up from drugs, lost job etc) a chance to learn to be chefs and get back on their feet
As with all his books, the recipes are clear, simple and enticing. They're not overly fussy and don't require a lot of arcane or exotic ingredients.
Elisa Garza
There's a lot of great info in here and some beautiful pictures. He breaks his recipes down by main ingredient, and most of them did not appeal to me at all. But I am excited about making some of the desserts - the tea cakes are beautiful, the brownies look delicious, I'll have to try the chocolate tart, and he's inspired me to make my own ice cream this summer (without an ice cream maker!). Now I've just got to find some vanilla bean pods . . .
Maria
This is a pretty big book and being that I got it on loan from the library, I tried to scan and copy a few of the recipes I liked. Well, that didn't seem to work out too well because the ingredients would not copy. Not sure if there is a copyright that doesn't allow you to scan/copy/print but it just wouldn't. Not to say it took away from this book. Several ingredients caught my eye especially the mac n cheese.
Finn
How to seed a pomegranate, peel a head of garlic in 10 seconds or less, choose a perfectly ripe squash. What parts of the meat come from what parts of the animal (any animal)? Which are tender, which need to be braised, which are marbled. How to julienne vegetables, carve a turkey, chiffonade fresh herbage. AND a set of delicious, simple, beautiful recipes. Thanks Jamie, you're my kitchen spirit animal.
Catherine
I received this book as a Christmas present, on my request and have regretted asking for it ever since. It is most likely a good book for those who cook a lot of 'English' food, or for those interested, but for me, the ingredients were not at all appealing. The one recipe I did try, we did not like at all. I still keep it on the shelf, thinking one day I may try another, but that may be a long time off.
Kristen Northrup
Previewed this from the library before buying. Actually looking for something basic for my boyfriend, who would like to learn to cook more than two things. This isn't the right book, however. It's fine. But I have two or three of Oliver's earlier books and this isn't any more basic than they are. Those are good books too, but I don't need another, especially not for this specific purpose.
Sue
Hope the librarian insisted I take this book home when I waffled at the checkout counter. So I took it home and flipped through it but didn't read more than a page or two. Will I check it out again? Probably not. Not really the style of cooking I'm interested in doing myself. But it's a very beautiful book and he's an interesting character who seems to have a compassionate heart.
Hans
If you don' t like Jamie's books you sure like this one. If you are not into salads like me you will be after reading the first part of the book. The remainder has a good chunk of meat tasty vegetables, a very good chapter on fish. The fish part is also a reason to buy this book. I still have to read the part on desserts which comes last.
Deborah Black
Just started to use it but I like Jamie because he teaches technique - intuitive technique! - as he goes and encourages playing around with the food and changing the recipes. I like his philosophy and even the style of the book. Some of the meat is traditional English fare that I am not interested in. Reading it goes well with wine.
Keeko
This book is a part of his project to help young people keep from becoming delinquents. I like his approach to cooking because he tries new ideas, but not just for the sake of being creative. They actually taste good. Plus the preparation is pretty basic, and the food is healthy. And, it's a lovely book to look at as well.
Kimberly
He's so inspiring, so I really had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, I'm just not an adventurous cook. Making chicken and adding all kinds of weird sauces like mango just ruins it all. Why are all cooks like this nowadays, anyway?

I only found one recipe I would consider trying. :(
Ninja Neko
Was going to rate this 2 stars because I didn't really like the tone he took in this book (compared with some of his later cookbooks it seems as if he hasn't found the right angle yet here). But there are a couple of recipes (mainly in the second half) that I'm itching to try out, they seem great!
  • Feast: Food to Celebrate Life
  • Modern Classics Book 1
  • Everyday Pasta
  • Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food: Recipes from the F Word. with Mark Sargeant and Emily Quah
  • The Cook's Companion
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Mexican Everyday
  • Good Eats: The Early Years

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his ca
More about Jamie Oliver...
Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals Jamie's Italy Happy Days With The Naked Chef Jamie's 30-Minute Meals