Start by marking “Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions” as Want to Read:
Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions

Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  622 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In this book, questions are posed such as: do such parallels go back to early times or are they owing to late Viking contact? This issue gives us knowledge of the early peoples in Europe.
Published December 1st 1989 by Syracuse University Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey ChaucerWorld Without End by Ken FollettBeowulf by Unknown
Best Middle Ages Books
394th out of 974 books — 1,196 voters
The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonEgil's Saga by AnonymousThe Poetic Edda by UnknownThe Saga of the Volsungs by AnonymousNjal's Saga by Anonymous
Old Norse-Icelandic literature
26th out of 140 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon Reamer
Jan 23, 2016 Sharon Reamer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a serious interest in Celtic and Germanic mythology
I've read this book - at least in parts - at least five six times. It has such a richness of information about both Celtic and Germanic religions and their overlap - that it is too much to absorb in one reading. I'm just about to read some parts of it again.

This book is one of the few I've come across that tries to synthesize potential crossovers and influences of Celtic to Germanic religion (and vice-versa). There are chapters on the Otherworld versus the concepts of death and the afterlife (Da
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 12, 2008 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it it was amazing
Davidson has done a great job with this book in setting out to show the similarities in the religious/cultural practices and beliefs of the Germanic and Celtic heathens. My personal belief is that the Gods of the Norse and other Germanics are the same Gods as those that the Celts worshipped, even if the names, lore and rites differed in various ways. She draws heaviest from the Irish sources instead of Welsh, Brit and continental Celts for drawing comparisons to Germanic peoples but even those a ...more
Bad Tim
Aug 04, 2008 Bad Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
a little dry and scholarly, but fascinating. it explores the similarities and differences of celtic and norse religion and their roots in indo-european culture.
Jaybird Rex
Apr 19, 2010 Jaybird Rex rated it it was amazing
Probably the best companion out there for Prudence Jones' History of Pagan Europe, this is "dry" scholarship blessedly free of New Age nonsense. I didn't read it straight through so much as I jumped around and explored at will -- the book's fairly conducive to that. No doubt it could use an update, but what couldn't?
Jimmyle
Jan 09, 2015 Jimmyle rated it it was amazing
fascinating fact and insight on roots of contemporary ritual. rare and meaningful examples, including Druid.
Maya
Jan 13, 2010 Maya rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maya by: Gael Noafa
For a full review of the book please see my website: Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions
Mae
Jul 10, 2008 Mae marked it as to-read
I think I read this about 10 years ago, but the details are fuzzy. If it's the book I think it is, it served me well as a survey of Norse and Celtic myth (I'm mostly familiar with "Classical" Greco-Roman mythology). But I want to read it again to be sure.
Tim
Aug 11, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
copy-pasted from my Librarything account: very scholarly, not easy-reading and it is advised to read this book a few times to grasp it all. But it IS very interesting to see how the pagans relied on the gods and what influence these gods had.
Suzanne
Jan 29, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
Very detailed, scholarly info re: pagan Europe. Discusses in depth pre-Christian Scandinavian and Germanic religion and compares them w/ the Celts.
Colin
Oct 10, 2011 Colin rated it liked it
Shelves: norse-stuff
Not Davidson's best work, but still fairly interesting . . . and requiring little-to-no knowledge of Celtic and Germanic linguistics.
George
Jan 25, 2013 George rated it liked it
a decent anthropological study of some of the beliefs and religious practices of ancient European cultures.
Loree  Iverson
Jun 14, 2013 Loree Iverson rated it it was amazing
Academically-sound and very interesting.
Cicely
Oct 14, 2011 Cicely rated it it was amazing
Incredibly scholarly and detailed!
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Sarabjit
Sarabjit rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mairead
Mairead marked it as to-read
Glenda Colbert
Glenda Colbert marked it as to-read
Natalia Dołżycka
Natalia Dołżycka marked it as to-read
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Erling Paulsen
Erling Paulsen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Aztecatl Freya Xocoyotl
Aztecatl Freya Xocoyotl marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson rated it really liked it
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Salman Bahammam
Salman Bahammam marked it as to-read
Zmo
Zmo marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Yuri Rocha
Yuri Rocha marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
  • The Lost Gods of England
  • In Search of the Indo-Europeans
  • The Druids
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • Elves, Wights, and Trolls: Studies Towards the Practice of Germanic Heathenry: Vol. I
  • Popular Magic: Cunning-folk in English History