Start by marking “Classical Ballet Technique” as Want to Read:
Classical Ballet Technique

Classical Ballet Technique

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"Classical Ballet Technique is an invaluable guide for students, teachers, and ballet lovers. It not only covers the broad spectrum of ballet vocabulary but also gives sound, practical advice to aspiring dancers. The clarity of the writing, in a field notorious for its opaqueness, is in itself a major achievement."--Merrill Ashley, Principal Dancer, New York City Ballet

Published December 1st 1989 by University Press of Florida (first published November 28th 1989)

This book is a great reference for any aspiring ballerina! The books is full of detailed pictures & instructions for correctly executing each step! A MUST HAVE for a ballerina's library!
Many thanks to Peter for buying me this gorgeous book for my birthday.

This is basically one of the best how-to books for ballet you're going to find. Most ballet steps are in here, along with linking steps, as well as ballet standards.

It's a ballet dancer's bible. I learnt a lot from it (especially tour jetes... my gosh, I just can't do them. But who knows, maybe now I will!), and I'm not even aspiring to be a professional dancer.

The most helpful thing is the photos. Every photo has instructio
Sep 16, 2014 Liss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: dance
Excellent reference book. Uses LOTS of pictures (so much more valuable than lots of text) with hints on what to focus on to get the pose just right.
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
This book was very useful when I was translating a book with ballet terminology: the descriptions are clear and there are lots of photos.
Aug 08, 2015 Samar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Well Yeah , the book is fine , very good and almost complete in fact , but what I don't like about is the way it is very restrictive , but that's probably because of how old it is.I don't like sections talking about natural flexibilty , arches , ideal body , and all these restrictions , It goes like if you are not born into the perfect ballet body , you are not going to enjoy the beauty of this art and this has completely changed nowadays.
Beautiful illustrations (although I found the flesh-toned bodysuits kind of creepy at times), and very useful diagrams of technique. A lot of this book is for advanced dancers but even beginners like me can benefit from how to hold the barre properly, correct foot and body positioning in each position, etc.
This book saved my life multiple times in college, when I would rush back to my dorm after being confronted by some strange step I had never seen before, but which everyone else seemed to have mastered years ago. An indispensable resource.
The "Ballet Bible". Beautiful pictures of beautiful dancers. She tries to show all ways of doing each step from all schoolings. Although it would be impossible for it to be 100% complete, she does a decent job.
Love this instructional book- its very beautifully done and some of the dancers actually went to the same dance studio that I went to as a child and trained with my teacher Marguerite Phares
Ann K
I read this book to touch up on my dance skills, and to see if i was dancing correctly. If you dance ballet, ballet en pointe, you should read this book. 4 stars! :)
An amazing guide to ballet, complete with pictures and descriptions of the movements. There's a reason that we refer to this as the Bible in my ballet school.
the most comprehensive photographic guide to classical technique available - it's expensive, but buy the hardcover.
A wonderful reference guide by a wonderful teacher!
I haven't read it page by page but its a great reference.
This book is a fantastic reference!
Mar 25, 2009 Deisy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ballet teachers & students
Shelves: ballet-knowledge
so many important things to learn...
Simply the BEST.
Daniella marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Rose Foley
Rose Foley marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Maria Vines
Maria Vines marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Mary Sullivan
Mary Sullivan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Julia Miller
Julia Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Coveney M.H.
Coveney M.H. marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Steve marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Marilda Flores
Marilda Flores marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • Basic Principles of Classical Ballet
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • I Was a Dancer
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker
  • Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer
  • Nureyev: The Life