Classical Ballet Technique

Classical Ballet Technique

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Classical Ballet Technique is an invaluable guide for students, teachers, and ballet lovers. It not only covers the broad spectrum of ballet vocabulary but also gives sound, practical advice to aspiring dancers. The clarity of the writing, in a field notorious for its opaqueness, is in itself a major achievement."--Merrill Ashley, Principal Dancer, New York City Ballet

"An...more
Published December 1st 1989 by University Press of Florida (first published November 28th 1989)

Megan
This book is a great reference for any aspiring ballerina! The books is full of detailed pictures & instructions for correctly executing each step! A MUST HAVE for a ballerina's library!
Jay
Many thanks to Peter for buying me this gorgeous book for my birthday.

This is basically one of the best how-to books for ballet you're going to find. Most ballet steps are in here, along with linking steps, as well as ballet standards.

It's a ballet dancer's bible. I learnt a lot from it (especially tour jetes... my gosh, I just can't do them. But who knows, maybe now I will!), and I'm not even aspiring to be a professional dancer.

The most helpful thing is the photos. Every photo has instructio...more
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
This book was very useful when I was translating a book with ballet terminology: the descriptions are clear and there are lots of photos.
AJ
Beautiful illustrations (although I found the flesh-toned bodysuits kind of creepy at times), and very useful diagrams of technique. A lot of this book is for advanced dancers but even beginners like me can benefit from how to hold the barre properly, correct foot and body positioning in each position, etc.
Kirsten
This book saved my life multiple times in college, when I would rush back to my dorm after being confronted by some strange step I had never seen before, but which everyone else seemed to have mastered years ago. An indispensable resource.
Shayla
The "Ballet Bible". Beautiful pictures of beautiful dancers. She tries to show all ways of doing each step from all schoolings. Although it would be impossible for it to be 100% complete, she does a decent job.
Jody
Love this instructional book- its very beautifully done and some of the dancers actually went to the same dance studio that I went to as a child and trained with my teacher Marguerite Phares
Ann K
I read this book to touch up on my dance skills, and to see if i was dancing correctly. If you dance ballet, ballet en pointe, you should read this book. 4 stars! :)
Odette
An amazing guide to ballet, complete with pictures and descriptions of the movements. There's a reason that we refer to this as the Bible in my ballet school.
friedrich
the most comprehensive photographic guide to classical technique available - it's expensive, but buy the hardcover.
Alyssa
A wonderful reference guide by a wonderful teacher!
Amber
I haven't read it page by page but its a great reference.
Alice
This book is a fantastic reference!
Deisy
Mar 25, 2009 Deisy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ballet teachers & students
Shelves: ballet-knowledge
so many important things to learn...
Sophielihui
Simply the BEST.
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kgirl
Kgirl marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ana Pau
Ana Pau marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Be
Be marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • Holding On to the Air: An Autobiography
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • I Was a Dancer
  • Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer
  • White Swan, Black Swan
  • A Dance of Sisters
  • The Melting Season
  • Nureyev: The Life
  • On Pointe
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
The Art of Teaching Ballet: Ten Twentieth-Century Masters