Start by marking “Classical Ballet Technique” as Want to Read:
Classical Ballet Technique

Classical Ballet Technique

"Classical Ballet Technique is an invaluable guide for students, teachers, and ballet lovers. It not only covers the broad spectrum of ballet vocabulary but also gives sound, practical advice to aspiring dancers. The clarity of the writing, in a field notorious for its opaqueness, is in itself a major achievement."--Merrill Ashley, Principal Dancer, New York City Ballet

"An
Published December 1st 1989 by University Press of Florida (first published November 28th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Ballet Technique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Ballet Technique

Megan
Aug 11, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ballet
This book is a great reference for any aspiring ballerina! The books is full of detailed pictures & instructions for correctly executing each step! A MUST HAVE for a ballerina's library!
Karen Radius
Oct 12, 2016 Karen Radius rated it really liked it
Great pictorial for all the classic ballet positions, etc. and wonderful reference.
Jay
Aug 13, 2010 Jay rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to Peter for buying me this gorgeous book for my birthday.

This is basically one of the best how-to books for ballet you're going to find. Most ballet steps are in here, along with linking steps, as well as ballet standards.

It's a ballet dancer's bible. I learnt a lot from it (especially tour jetes... my gosh, I just can't do them. But who knows, maybe now I will!), and I'm not even aspiring to be a professional dancer.

The most helpful thing is the photos. Every photo has instructio
AJ
Feb 16, 2012 AJ rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations (although I found the flesh-toned bodysuits kind of creepy at times), and very useful diagrams of technique. A lot of this book is for advanced dancers but even beginners like me can benefit from how to hold the barre properly, correct foot and body positioning in each position, etc.
Kirsten
May 29, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life multiple times in college, when I would rush back to my dorm after being confronted by some strange step I had never seen before, but which everyone else seemed to have mastered years ago. An indispensable resource.
Shayla
Jun 16, 2008 Shayla rated it it was amazing
The "Ballet Bible". Beautiful pictures of beautiful dancers. She tries to show all ways of doing each step from all schoolings. Although it would be impossible for it to be 100% complete, she does a decent job.
Z
Jun 03, 2008 Z rated it it was amazing
An amazing guide to ballet, complete with pictures and descriptions of the movements. There's a reason that we refer to this as the Bible in my ballet school.
Deisy
Nov 04, 2007 Deisy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ballet teachers & students
Shelves: ballet-knowledge
so many important things to learn...
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Jul 21, 2014 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it really liked it
This book was very useful when I was translating a book with ballet terminology: the descriptions are clear and there are lots of photos.
Amber
Nov 22, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
I haven't read it page by page but its a great reference.
friedrich
Jul 15, 2008 friedrich rated it it was amazing
the most comprehensive photographic guide to classical technique available - it's expensive, but buy the hardcover.
Ann K
Nov 09, 2011 Ann K rated it really liked it
I read this book to touch up on my dance skills, and to see if i was dancing correctly. If you dance ballet, ballet en pointe, you should read this book. 4 stars! :)
Jody
Sep 30, 2008 Jody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-books
Love this instructional book- its very beautifully done and some of the dancers actually went to the same dance studio that I went to as a child and trained with my teacher Marguerite Phares
Alyssa
Jan 12, 2009 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
A wonderful reference guide by a wonderful teacher!
Lissie
Sep 16, 2014 Lissie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dance
Excellent reference book. Uses LOTS of pictures (so much more valuable than lots of text) with hints on what to focus on to get the pose just right.
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Em
Em rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2010
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Fer
Fer rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Francesca
Francesca rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
Shalee
Shalee rated it liked it
May 15, 2008
Rabaa
Rabaa rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2010
Ginevra Dean
Ginevra Dean rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
  • The Ballet Companion
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • Basic Principles of Classical Ballet
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet
  • I Was a Dancer
  • The Intimate Act of Choreography
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer
  • Dancing on the Inside