Start by marking “Fairytales” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Karel Čapek

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Like traditional fairy tales, Capek's fantastic parables contain marvels and supernatural beings, fairies, elves, and talking animals; their plots stem from folk traditions where innocence triumphs. At the same time, Capek infuses these tales with dazzling wordplay, an abundant sense of the absurd, and surprising futuristic twists. Fact and imagination, satire and fantasy ...more
Published 1999 by Albatros (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Fairytales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairytales

A Bookworm Reading (Plethora)
Odd collection of fairy tales, not ones I would recommend reading out-loud to a younger child in most cases. While fairy tales will commonly have good vs. evil I'm not sure how many parents would be comfortable reading to their child about someone getting shot between the eyes in one tale. Overall some I found enjoyable others didn't hit as high a note.

The Great Cat's Tale: This was a fun tale, long in length with many characters to sort out along the way.

The Dog's Tale: Have you ever wondered
Tim Storm
I thoroughly enjoyed Capek's fairy tales. They feel way more modern than they are, mostly because of Capek's writing style. His meandering plots take us through fun incongruities and witticisms. As the back cover says, "Fact and imagination, satire and fantasy are blended so skillfully that the line between logic and plausible nonsense is nearly indiscernible." An example: in "The Great Police Tale," Capek has cops discussing various magical creatures, which are immediately normalized: "As I ste ...more
A delightful collection of stories that brighten the mind and are sure to lighten any mood. In this book fantasy is spoken of in such a way that it is simply a reality. Elves, goblins and ghosts, as in all good fairy tales are real and the reader doesn't need to be convinced, they simply know that it makes perfect sense for creatures of fantasy to work in a post office after hours and be able to play cards with the envelopes.

Each story is beautifully written and is full of charm and combines mod
Y como el hombre está hecho de los huesos de todos los animales, menos los del perro, tiene también las propiedades de todos los animales: la fuerza el león, la laboriosidad del camello, la astucia del gato y la generosidad del caballo. Sólo carece de la lealtad del perro, ¡sólo de la lealtad del perro!

En el barco viajaba conmigo cierta señorita, bueno, más que bonita, en breves palabras, se llama Alicia.

¡En cualquier sitio se está mejor, en cualquier sitio se está mejor! -Golondrina.
I bought this book the second it came out in 1990 and promptly carried it on board an overnight train from Vienna to Frankfurt. There were four bunks in the cabin, and the other three were occupied by improbably attractive twenty-year-old women. I naturally concluded that I had botched my reservation and booked myself into a "women's car," and I spent the entire night in a cold sweat, expecting at any moment to be arrested as a pervert. As a consequence, I didn't actually crack the book until al ...more
I found this to be a delightful set of fantastical yarns, divided into the kind of short portions that make this perfect for bedtime stories. A bit predictable, they are indeed stories for children, but they're also a lot of fun. They give an interesting look at Czech perspective on the world, especially Europe. If I ever have children, I'll be sure to read this to them.
Přiznám se, že v dětství jsem tuhle knížku nějak minul. Snad kvůli notoricky známým TV zpracováním některých částí.
Ale rozhodně stojí za přečtení v libovolném věku. Nejenom kvůli Čapkově geniální práci s jazykem. Mě se moc líbí, jak hladce spojuje náš svět s pohádkovým světem a ono to bezvadně funguje.
Been on my list of "to read" since I took a Children's Lit. course in 2006:) Very fun, imaginative, quirky little collection of stories. A refreshing change of pace from our traditional fairy tales.
funny, quirky, modern-ish fairy tales originally written in czech--unique, strong humorous author's voice
I liked one or two of the latter stories.
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Gail marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Juan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Rie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Namaya marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Bryan added it
Sep 28, 2015
Eric Hinkle
Eric Hinkle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
ZM marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
F Cats
F Cats marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Fran Silveira
Fran Silveira marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Marzia marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Lucie added it
Sep 01, 2015
  • Záhada hlavolamu (Stínadelská trilogie, #1)
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Divá Bára
  • Staré řecké báje a pověsti
  • Dům o tisíci patrech
  • Bylo nás pět
  • Kytice
  • Markéta Lazarová
  • Judge On Trial
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
Karel Čapek is one of the the most influential Czech writers of the 20th century. He wrote with intelligence and humour on a wide variety of subjects. His works are known for their interesting and precise descriptions of reality, and Čapek is renowned for his excellent work with the Czech language. His play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) first popularized the word "robot".
More about Karel Čapek...