Start by marking “Aphrodite” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite

Aphrodite (Justin Westwood #1)

In this gripping thriller by the author of Icarus, a small-town cop must get to the bottom of one of the greatest conspiracies of his time. A smart, cynical thriller . . .a high quotient of pleasurable creepiness.--New York Times Book Review.
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published August 2004 by Warner Vision (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aphrodite

Joe
Nov 13, 2016 Joe rated it liked it
Good yarn with suspense. Have to put up with some ridiculousness but all in all a good read.
Feb 19, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was definitely one of those "hidden-gem" books that sat on my bookshelf for way too long before I decided to read it.

Russell Andrews' Aphrodite is a cleverly written suspense novel that combines stem-cell research, the pharmaceutical industry, and conspiracy involving the government wanting to keep it all a secret. At the novel's beginning, we are introduced to a few characters of vastly different personas and a brief background on each before they are murdered. Readers are let on
Ellen
Jan 28, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
Justin Westwood, a policeman for East End Harbor NY, has been trying to escape his tragic past by drinking too much Scotch at night and spending his days on the force by writing tickets for traffic violations in this small Long Island town. Justin had once been a well-respected homicide detective in Providence but when he got too involved in a Mafia case he watched his beautiful daughter be gunned down in front of him and a year later his wife committed suicide. Now Justin is barely going ...more
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I gave it four, because I couldn't give it 3 1/2 stars and I don't think it deserved 3. I liked it quite a bit and the characters were believable. There were some nasty characters created, some were created so well I didn't even want to read what there were thinking. It was a good book with a range of storylines and suspense, but my only negative comments would be that it was finished too quickly. In the beginning and throughout, some innocent people were killed in some terrible ways, and a lot ...more
Shannon Renee
Jul 09, 2013 Shannon Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 really.

I finished this one a few days ago, but it took me until now to come up with what I wanted to say.

First off, this book has been lingering far too long on my shelf. Given my New Year's ResolutTion was to clear off my shelf of books, I grabbed this one at random.

It was much better than I planned. I've been burnt by genetic/scientific thrillers before. So I really wasn't too keen on reading another.

I am so glad I did. It had an extremely well thought out plot, excellent characters, an
Anya
Aug 20, 2016 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually 2.5 stars

A conspiracy action movie, I mean book. I'm generally not a fan of of conspiracy thriller stories or action movies and this book reminds me why.

The whole thing is basically a blood bath from one end to the other, liberally sprinkled with political corruption. The "bad guys" aren't defeated, the only thing that changes is that there are more dead people at the end of the book than the beginning and different people hold some of the power.

The way to solve any problem for any ch
Steve Haywood
This was a fairly decent thriller. Nothing fantastic about it but it was a good solid read, which didn't take long to finish. Weighs in at about 450 pages.[return][return]Set in America, the main character is former hot shot detective who went to hide out in a sleepy town after a tragedy killed his wife and daughter. He's been giving our parking tickets for years, is seriously unfit and likes a few drinks every night. Now he's got a multiple murder case, and the shadowy perpetrators are now ...more
J. Ewbank
Mar 13, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author and it was anenjoyable one.

The story was good, not cluttered with too many details. The characters are believable and interesting.

It starts with a murder and the flawed main character has to try to work out why this person was murdered.

Enjoyed reading the book, and fans of mysteries will probably enjoy reading it also.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Karen Hufman
Oct 02, 2013 Karen Hufman rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it and I think it's the 2nd time I've read it! Jay seems to be an inept cop at a sleepy coastal town when a death occurs. The sight of the death brings back his instincts as a top detective and the death turns into a murder, Federal Agents, and an unholy alliance between the government and top pharmaceutical companies. I read it for 4 hours straight on a plane ride and it kept me entertained!
Lorin Cary
Aug 04, 2011 Lorin Cary rated it liked it
Part thriller, science fiction, mystery and well, romance?, this mostly held my attention. There's a mystery about police officer Justin Westwood's past that is only slowly revealed as he begins to unravel a murder. There are some truly unsavory villains, nicely drawn, and a plot that kept me guessing. It begin to feel a bit contrived toward the end. Perhaps it was my need to rush a finish.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
An elderly man dies and the reporter who wrote his obituary is killed. Neither looks like homicide until Justin Westwood started looking. Westwood is a young but worn out cop just passing the time in a crime free Long Island berg. Two deaths seem to spawn more and the tale unfolds. Andrews tells a compelling story and this is as good as his others.
Jenn
Nov 09, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
Apparently this book was suppose to be read before Hades. Either way it was nice to read another story about Justin Westwood. I enjoyed this. The concept of the fountain of youth and the destruction to keep it secret.

I couldn't put it down as the plot just kept getting thicker and thicker. Loved this one.
Sharon
Jan 17, 2009 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
An average thriller. I did find the main character interesting, and the plot was pretty fast paced, though it dragged a little in the middle. The villains were decently evil, and I appreciated the way the author- while resolving major issues- didn't make the ending entirely neat and sweet. I probably won't pick up another Andrews book, but it was enjoyable while it lasted.
Joe
Sep 23, 2008 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Nice read, interesting storyline. Enjoyed it but found slightly similar to a lot of other novels out there at the moment. Will be interested to see what sequel is like with same character Justin Westwood.
Glenn Zorpette
Oct 27, 2015 Glenn Zorpette rated it it was ok
The writing is so bad that it is unintentionally funny at times. But the plot is pretty good and the ending is worth sticking around for. The characters are pretty well drawn, too. Read it at the beach and then give it to some book-starved soul. Or use it to start the barby.
Betty
Jul 10, 2012 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very solid mystery with a credible plot, good suspense, and believable characters, few of whom were one-dimensional. I debated giving this four stars, but the ending seemed rushed and just wrapped up the various plot lines. I enjoyed Andrews' writing though and will read more from this author.
Vickly Moe
Aug 22, 2012 Vickly Moe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Aphrodite long time ago but the ending stuck in my mind for a very long time. Andrews really knows how to make a great ending and mind-boggling. I couldn't imagine a grown woman have an 8 years old body, because of some drugs!
Linda
Mar 07, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Debated giving it four stars, could have because it was enjoyable and well
written. Guess I'm saving some stars for something unforeseeable and special.
Marla Sommer
May 04, 2012 Marla Sommer rated it liked it
Would you want to live an extra 50 years? This book focuses on the race to develop the magic pill and the cost of that fight.
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
A decent page-turning conspiracy thriller, possibly written with one eye on a motion picture adaptation. Pacy, with well timed plot twists. Good holiday reading.
Amanda
Oct 16, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author, and I was surprisingly well entertained. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.
Esther
A well written, exciting thriller.
Even though the premise of the back story was mildly cliche the writing style and character development kept me interested.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
My first book by Russell Andrews and what a nice surprise. This was a fast paced and very engaging book.
Bennie
Oct 03, 2013 Bennie rated it liked it
While it was mostly fun, it was also overly complicated. And too many casual murders were committed to move the plot along. Why the author left it open for a sequel, I'll never know.
Ros Beale
Ros Beale rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Karen Rye
Karen Rye rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Salisha Chandra
Salisha Chandra rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2015
Daniel Kincaid
Daniel Kincaid rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
lethal
lethal rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Spitting Off Tall Buildings
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The Devil's Closet
  • Signal Red
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Deadly Visions
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)

Justin Westwood (3 books)
  • Midas