Start by marking “The Mission: A Redemption of the Past” as Want to Read:
The Mission: A Redemption of the Past

The Mission: A Redemption of the Past

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Summoned to St. Joseph's Hospital in Chicago, a dying man whispers his confession to Father O'Malley revealing the secret of who shot the Kennedys and Martin Luther King. Father O'Malley believes he has been chosen to bring to justice those responsible for their assassinations. But how is he to do this without breaking his vows for the sanctity of the confessional?
Shortly
Published July 14th 2010 by Outskirts Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mission

Larry Hunter
Sep 02, 2010 Larry Hunter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is a fast paced thriller that explores the violence and assassinations of the sixties through the eyes of those who lived through the social upheaval of that turbulent era.
Summoned to St. Joseph,s Hospital in Chicago, a dying man whispers his confession to Father O'Malley revealing the secret of who shot the Kennedys and Martin Luther King. Father O'Malley believes that he has been chosen to bring to Justice those responsible. But how is he to accomplish this without breaking his vows
April
THE MISSION:A REDEMPTION OF THE PAST by Larry Hunter is an action & adventure fiction set in 1996 Chicago and Florida. It is written with depth,details,turns and twists. It has murder,intrigue,redemption,vilence,assassinations of ther sixties,
death bed confessions,conspiracies,adventure,social upheaval,full of action,secrets,
deception,betrayal,FBI agent,Vietnam veteran,an aging Don, and a CIA operative. The characters are engaging,and believable. This is a thought provoking,challenging story
Julie
I won this book through the Goodreads First Read Giveaway on 11/30/2010 and received it on 03/01/2011!

This is the part of reviewing books that I hate. When I have something less than flattering to say about a book. But I'm honest to a fault, so here it is.

First, let me state that I haven't yet finished the book. Actually, I've barely scraped the surface of the book.

I am having a really hard time getting into The Mission. It's for a couple of reasons. I felt that I needed to update my review eve
S Phibber
Review
The Mission - A Redemption of the Past by Larry Hunter

Let's start the ball rolling with a non-voluntary acknowledgement of the anally-retentive, fun-sucking legal leeches representing Big Brother's obtrusive intrusion of their nose into my personal bookshelf and comments there upon solely because I am not a professional book reviewer who receives a complementary copy and reviews it for a paid publication...

In compliance with FTC’s draconian guidelines, I state that I received the book for
Pei Ling
Daniel
Wow. I was not expecting much from this book, but I got even less than I thought. And yet, so much more. I can say without any hesitation that this was one of the most poorly written books I have ever read. However, this fact led me to enjoy the book. I didn't much care about the plot, but I was excited to find out whether the characters would ever start talking in contractions again— about halfway through everyone stopped saying "I'm" and "won't" and so on, replacing them with their full forms ...more
Barbara
I enjoyed this book. I didn't love it, but I definitely liked it a lot. It took me a long time to read it (a whole month!!!) because I was juggling a few books at a time, and also because there were definitely parts of the book that moved along at a pretty slow pace (in my opinion.)

Also, to be fair, this type of book really doesn't fit into one of my favorite genres. I entered the giveaway (through First Reads) for this book because even though I don't love crime/mystery/murder/thriller novels,
Billjr13
I won The Mission from Goodreads and received it complete with autograph from the author. I gave it 4 stars because it was fun. It is a quick read and an interesting idea. Hunter takes full advantage of the conspiracy theories surrounding the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK in the sixties and mixes in the mafia, the CIA, and a deathbed confession to a Catholic priest.
This book is a quick reading and pretty well written thriller that has lots of plot twist. It follows Father O’Malley and Mike
Tami
Still a no show. :(

Off to message the person who listed the giveaway.

1/28/11 still haven't received, and it has been two months.

Received my copy last night, and plan to start as soon as I finish my current read. 3/2/11

Okay, after waiting so long to receive the book, it didn't take to long to read. I enjoyed the story line even though I am really not that into conspiracy theories. I loved the priest, he made me smile. I was wobbling between 3 and 4 stars (yet another reason for the half star)
Linda Petersen
Interesting...

I won this book (thank you, Mr. Hunter!), and dove right into it as soon as I got it. Interesting plot - I s'pose it could happen - about the assassination some prominent American historical figures in the 1960s. Only one thing I found a bit distracting: it read sort of like an episode of Dragnet. "Mike, what did you think of that?" "I'm not sure, Dave. You?" "Well, Mike, let's ask John." "Good idea, Dave..." Ok, that wasn't taken directly from the book, but you get the idea. After
Susan
An action packed page turner . Full of and twists and turns. Takes on the events of the 1960's in a provoking and well thought out manner. Great attention to detail. The characters are relatable, amusing and even loveable. In the midst of all the intrigue the story also packs a lot of heart. A good choice for anyone into historical fiction and/or conspiracy theories.
Grant
This was a decent, quick read for the author's first book. The plot needed some fleshing out, and as some other reviewers have mentioned, a lot of the dialogue doesn't reflect the way people actually speak, primarily the lack of contractions in most of the book. While not on my list of favorite books I've received through First Reads, I applaud the author for his effort.
Rochelle
I received this book from Goodreads.

I am sorry to say I was disappointed in this book. I tend to like conspiracy theory plots and as far as plots go this was pretty good. However, I found the writing to be not tight and not gripping. The dialogue did not flow in a natural manner. I did finish the book as I like to know how this kind of book ends.
Donna
It grabbed me in the first few pages and I couldn't put it down.. I can't believe I liked it so much since there were no women characters through out until the last few pages. It is a page turner and I think some people will get a history refresher while reading it. I highly recommend it.
Patricia Zashkoff
I enjoyed this book because it had action and intrigue. It was also informative regarding the missle crisis and the assasination of JFK. I would recommend this book to history and conspiracy buffs.
Nancy Kent
Lots of mystery, with twists and turns in every chapter. Excellent story with well-developed characters and a lot of Chicago-area references.

Will update when I have finished reading.
Frannie
I loved this book. I thought it was a quick read and held my attention. It was not predicable - I hope the author does more.
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Iroulito91
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2011
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2011
Larry Hunter
Feb 24, 2011 Larry Hunter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Mission 2 5 Feb 25, 2011 08:42AM
7 Days in Hell Vendetta: Mexican Standoff The Dingbatter Case: A Tucker Crime Novel The National Park Case A Tucker Crime Novel The National Park Case:A Tucker Crime Novel (Tucker Crime Novels Book 1)