Start by marking “All She Wanted” as Want to Read:
All She Wanted

All She Wanted

Living as a man, twenty-one-year-old Teena Brandon hit the dust bowl town of Falls City, Nebraska, on the run from her family in Lincoln - and from the law for forging checks. Handsome and sophisticated, Brandon was an instant success, with young women hanging all over him. But when Brandon started to date the beautiful blonde Lana Tisdel, her luck ran out. In a terrifying ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Pocket Books (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about All She Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All She Wanted

Tiger Gray
Feb 14, 2015 Tiger Gray rated it did not like it
Misgendering in the fucking blurb. Good thing he's dead and can't defend himself, huh?
Angela
Feb 01, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
After seeing the lifetime movie, Boys Don't Cry I needed to know more. After scouring the IMDB message boards, still did not satisfy my curiousity I stumbled across this book and read it cover to cover and then watched the documentary. I am still wondering what 'Lana's' part was in all this though..
Meen
This is the "Brandon Teena" story, which the agonizing movie Boys Dont' Cry was based on. I first learned about Teena Brandon when the documentary about him was aired on like Discovery Channel or something like that. I was still in my first year of recovery and just beginning to really think about the consequences of my own sexuality, and I cried and cried to my boyfriend at the time after watching it because of the realization of how deadly it could be for both of us if he was a woman...
Kellie
Jan 11, 2009 Kellie rated it it was ok
This was just ok. I did get swept up in the descriptions of Brandon's personal life, but dear God, he had a LOT of girlfriends, one right after the other, or often overlapping, and by halfway through the book, I had completely lost track of who was who. I needed a chart! (This is a true crime book about the murder of Brandon Teena--Hillary Swank played him in a movie about it a while back.) The description of the trial was alright, but what possesses these true crime authors to include even the ...more
Eva Leger
Aug 04, 2008 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: b-true-crime
This was such a sad story- to know it really happened makes it all the more so. The writing is so-so from what I remember, I read this years ago, but the story has stayed with me. I even remember her name, Teena and I remember thinking about just how confused this person was and how awful times must have been for her to not only be that confused but to have to lie and hide everything for fear of retribution. What happened to her is a shame because it shows just how far people still need to come ...more
Omgmusic
Nov 24, 2009 Omgmusic rated it really liked it
i read this years ago and before the movie came out. i didnt even know they were making it into a movie. then we went to see the movie and i had NO idea this was the book i had read. it all seemed so familiar until finally i was sitting there i said "omg, this is that book i read!" that was odd. i am glad i read it first, both were good. too long ago to remember too much detail other than my movie surprise though, right now.
Sharyn Hutchens
Needs a proofreader

This is a typical true crime book, written in a just-the-facts-ma'am style. But I have never ever read a book with more typos. The word "had" is written throughout the book as "bad." I have no idea how this happened, but this book should never have been released in this condition. I struggled to read it, almost quit several times, and ended feeling as though I wasted my time. The story itself is interesting but it is wasted in this publication.
Bridget
Oct 19, 2015 Bridget rated it did not like it
Shelves: truetrue
I read this years ago because I was interested in Brandon's story after seeing the documentary. The book misgenders him through the entire narrative and it drove me batshit. I went back to look at the preview of the book on Amazon to see if it was as bad as I remember and it was actually worse, hence 1 star.
Primadonna
Sep 04, 2010 Primadonna rated it liked it
Gripping, and I have to say it was well written quite objectively too. It's shown that Teena Brandon was no saint but nobody deserved to be treated that way. It's amazing how so many ladies were besotted with Brandon, and he touched many people's lives during his short life.
Susan
Oct 26, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
After seeing the film "Boys Don't Cry " I was intrested to fond out who Brandon Teena really was , the film is slightly different to the book but reading this i felt so sorry for Brandon , it was wrote with the help of ex girlfriends her Mother Sister and the police . .
Tari
Jun 06, 2010 Tari rated it really liked it
Very well written. She makes a point of telling the story from everyone's point of view. It's sad when people are treated badly simply because they're different.
Joanie Nastrom
If you loved the movie you will like the book. I think its horrible that people think because some one is trans that they deserve to be hurt.
Mystic Faerie
Feb 19, 2017 Mystic Faerie rated it it was amazing
heartbreaking and terrifying true account of the movie 'boys don't cry'.
Joan
Nov 20, 2015 Joan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Aphrodite or true crime fans okay with a 3 star read
I found the story itself very sad. The story is unforgettable, the writing - meh. An okay read. This is the only book by this author that I have read because I don't really find her writing style engaging - at least not consistently. You get to know the people more through a regurgitation of occurrences and facts rather than through story telling. I like character development in my true crime, and I want the story to develop more in the style of a mystery. The author does do this. If you do not ...more
Debbi Weiss
Jun 03, 2013 Debbi Weiss rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible in describing the challenging and brutal life this woman led. It was extremely difficult emotionally for me to read as I felt for the character through the entire read. I was ashamed for Hollywood in what they called Boys Don't Cry as a "based on a true story". It was only a two week span of what in the book is the entire character's adult life. People that did not die in real life died in the book and vice versa. The only thing in the movie that I saw that was accurate c ...more
Peacegal
Mar 16, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
The shocking and sad true story of “Brandon Teena,” who was immortalized in the film “Boy Don’t Cry,” is told in this true crime offering.

Like many entries in this genre, the writing is lacking. The author’s choice of words is often overly casual and amateurish, and there are multiple distracting typos.

Readers will, however, get an eye-opening look at the young woman who posed as a man and paid the ultimate price. Brandon was no angel, certainly—he ran through an incredible number of girlfriend
Angie
Oct 20, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to rate a book like this. You can't rate the content: just the writing. I thought I knew this story, but I learned so much about Brandon, John, Tom, and Lana in this book. The author suggests that Lana may have had something to do with the murders, but didn't go into it. I know there's not a lot of closure for this, however the ending was weak and might as well have said "and that's how that goes."
I don't like watching Aphrodite Jones on television because of her over-the-top way of as
Alshia Moyez
Sep 15, 2011 Alshia Moyez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it-xoxo
I'm a HUGE Bio hound! So All She Wanted really satisfied me after I saw Boys Don't Cry (movie). It's amazing how close actress Hilary Swank actually resembled Tina Brandon.

Now, I can't say how complete or accurate this bio was because I all I know about Teena Brandon is what I read from 1 source or another. I like the author, Aphrodite Jones and I like the way she writes. I loved the book. One strange thing about "Brandon" was that she died at 21 and her dad, Patrick Brandon, died himself at 18
HeavyReader
Solidarity had a copy of this book, and I used to read it when I was working a shift and didn't have more important work to do.

This true story is both fascinating and disturbing: a young trans man is murdered when his friends find out he is biologically female. A couple other people who were in the house with him were murdered too, but that part of the situation has never been explained to my liking.

In any case, what is reported here is disturbing and may be triggering to some readers.
Jenny
Nov 02, 2007 Jenny rated it liked it
If you've ever heard of the movie 'Boys Don't Cry', this is the same story only in a book. It is a very sad story of a girl who desperately wants to be a boy. She deceives many people into thinking that she actually is a male, but when certain people find out the truth they rape her and murder her. It is heartwrenching.
Rachal
Mar 18, 2014 Rachal rated it did not like it
I didn't like the way this text was written, so cold, factual and aloof, like a police report. In fact I gave up reading it, which is a shame because Brandon Teena's story is a stirring and thought provoking one. This is one of those rare circumstances - for me at least - when the movie is better than the book.
Vanessa
May 30, 2012 Vanessa rated it really liked it
I was familiar with many of the details of this tragic crime prior to reading the book. It was interesting to learn more of the specifics. The story of Brandon Teena is a significant piece of LGBT history & the development of transgender visibility. Earlier this year I read one of Aphrodite Jones' later books. She's a good true crime writer, but her style has improved since this book.
Marie
Mar 25, 2015 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author just all over the place. Going back and forth. A bit confusing. I liked parts of this book. I bought the movie and thought I would enjoy the book as well. The book more detailed than the movie, but at times I was rubbing my head confused.
Kelly Bradshaw
Nov 06, 2013 Kelly Bradshaw rated it really liked it
Long before the movie I read this and it was unlike anything I'd ever heard of before. I heard of men going through this but at the time I read this it was unheard of to me outside of silly '80's comedies
Bookworm
Read this book awile back and couldnt believe the gaul of this PERSON. Turning everyones lives upside down by her masquerade. It as a pretty good book. Then the movie came out and you really couldnt believe the story. Well we all get what we deserve in the end
Amy
Sep 23, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
teena masquerades as a guy and hangs out with a bad crowd. teena is young and makes some bad choices and friends for herself. the book has nice photos. teena is in way over her head with this crowd and pays the ultimate price. i like teena and am sorry for her.
RHONDA
Oct 31, 2016 RHONDA rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No proof

I'm not referring to the case,but to the total lack of proof reading done by the editors
The same words were misspelled over and over,with many errors in syntax and grammar. This made the book difficult to read and enjoy.
susan anthony
Too many typos

I love the author's stories but I became very frustrated with the amount of typos her books have. I lost count after 250 of them. I'm unsure why she would taint her talent by allowing her books to have such unprofessional editing and printing.
DeeMana
Jul 12, 2012 DeeMana rated it it was ok
Terribly written, this is the true crime book that the movie "Boys Don't Cry" was based on. It's also one of the rare instances in which the movie is far better than the book. Don't read it. Go see the movie.
Debbe Jones
Typos galore

Sophomoric writing, grammatical errors, and typos out the wazoo. Great subject matter, just barely readable. I used to liked Aphrodite Jones' books but not this one.

• Because You Loved Me
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Bully: a True Story of High School Revenge
  • Invisible Darkness
  • Cruel Deception
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • Kill Grandma For Me
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Pure Murder
  • Deranged: The Shocking True Story of America's Most Fiendish Killer
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • Deadly Innocence
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Little Lost Angel
Aphrodite Jones is an award-winning American reporter and author who writes about murder. Her knack for detail allows her to dissect bizarre murder cases and bring readers into the heart of darkness. Now, the author has taken her career to TV as the executive producer and TV host of the ID series, True Crime with Aphrodite Jones, which airs on Investigation Discovery.
Jones is now filming her sixt
More about Aphrodite Jones...