Start by marking “Dave Barry's Greatest Hits” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,626 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
WHEN DAVE BARRY IS ON THE LOOSE, NO ONE IS SAFE!

What Dave Barry did for the men's movement in his Complete Guide to Guys and for foreign relations when he did Japan he now does for . . . everything in America. The rapacious observer of Tupperware ladies and leisure concept salesmen sounds off on:

Football--Football is more than just a game. It is a potential opportunity to
Published July 28th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

Donna
Sep 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this and I knew I would even before I read it because I've always been a Dave Barry fan. It was such a short read though, I wished it had been longer and contained more of his greatest hits. It was everything I've come to expect from Dave Barry. He is definitely funny. I love the way his mind works and that he is able to translate on to a page.
Wes Locher
Jan 19, 2010 Wes Locher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of laughing
Shelves: humor, essays
This is one of those timeless humor books that holds up just as well today as it did when it was initially released 15 years ago! Dave Barry's mastery of the written word is at peak performance with this collection of columns. When they stuck the words "GREATEST HITS" on the cover, they were absolutely not lying.

Sure, some of the events and people discussed within these pages may be dated, but if you were alive for those times (or took a history class in school) then you'll still appreciate a fr
internat librarian
I don’t read when I’m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, “Some Thoughts on the Toilet,” didn’t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don’t. I’ve probably only read “Some Thoughts…” two or three times. I’ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There’s just so much to learn, such as Dave’s tips for truffle harvesting. “When
Honza Fedak
I just discovered Dave Barry when I saw his latest book You Can Date Boys When You're Forty at a local bookstore. After reading it, I was ready for more.

Greatest Hits is a collection of his newspaper columns. For someone like me, who never read any of them, it presents a nice profile and overview of his newspaper work. The columns are silly, often very funny, and each one if them is an easy read but reading dozens of them is quite a heavy dose; I am now ready to go and read something else.

But
Rose Moore
Nov 16, 2015 Rose Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry, as always, is utterly hilarious in this collection of some of his best columns from the '80s.

Full disclosure: I adore Dave Barry. I started reading some of his collected columns when I was a kid sampling my Dad's bookshelves, and this is one of my favorites (re-read this month when I picked up a new copy). I will happily admit that being a life-long fan will have some impact on this review. Hopefully not too much, but in the interests of total transparency, it's worth mentioning.

Da
ACS Librarian
I don 19t read when I 19m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, 1CSome Thoughts on the Toilet, 1D didn 19t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don 19t. I 19ve probably only read 1CSome Thoughts 26 1D two or three times. I 19ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There 19s just so much to learn, such as Dave 19s tips for t
Valerie
Jul 16, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ian will probably read these next. He's already convinced boogers are funny.
Corielle
Dec 30, 2015 Corielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

Dave Barry released this book (which I bought for a quarter at a book fair) in 1988, and it basically contains all of his newspaper articles for the previous several years. Despite the dated politics (it contains a lot of Nixon & Reagan jokes), it holds up surprisingly well, considering it's 27 years old (oh my god that means my little sister is also 27 years old...). A lot of it remains very relevant, overshadowing that which does not (such as a whole chapter on the perils of home telephone
Dylan
Sep 07, 2010 Dylan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often humour books are the last refuge for no-longer-popular comedians and one only has to look at the list of comedic authors to see the number of has-beens and sophomoric satirists. Case in point: a couple weeks back while browsing the humour section at a local bookstore I spotted a grinning, overtly-flabby Jay Mohr plastered on the front of a hardcover. For every “Me Talk Pretty One Day”, one of David Sedaris’s collections of wit-fuelled, self-deprecating essays, there are ten “Dirty Jokes an ...more
Shawn Sorensen
Aug 11, 2011 Shawn Sorensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
It’s not that John Ritter doesn’t give it a good go on this unabridged audio version of Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits (audio book didn't have correct cover...). While he tries too hard with timing, Ritter still reads at an appropriately accelerated pace and doesn’t commit the cardinal sin of audio book performers - muttering so low that you can’t hear a punch line no matter how much you tax your car's subwoofer.

These chuckle-inducing essays about making beer, poor eyesight or having the flu are no
Stacy
Jan 03, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
There are two main problems with reading this book in the bathroom.

1) It will take you a really, really long time to finish it, unless you are prone to frequent gastrointestinal difficulties.

2) You must make sure that no one is within hearing distance who might feel uncomfortable upon hearing chuckles, guffaws, even hee-haw laughter emitted from the bathroom. This could be embarrassing for both you and them and should be avoided.

Dave Barry- what a guy. Funny in the 80's, funny-if a little dated-
Ken
It's Dave Barry. If you like humor that is wacky, weird, sometimes gross, and often laugh-out-loud, then this diversion is for you. It is a collection of his columns that ran in newspapers over several years.

His brain is off a couple of notches, and that makes for laughter and giggles.
Brett
May 10, 2008 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, humor
I read my first Dave Barry column back when I was probaby 13 or 14. I still remember that it contained some bit about how snakes were learning to move from toilet to toilet, which I thought was absolutely hilarious. As a middle and high schooler, I read quite a few of his books and generally enjoyed most of them a lot. Now that I'm somewhat older, I don't think Barry is quite the genius I used to, but I still find him surprising enough that I don't mind picking up one of his books once in a whil ...more
Christina Matthews
Dave Barry is hilarious. I enjoyed this book very much, as I enjoy all of his books. His view on life, and his true stories are easy to relate too. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to laugh our loud while reading.
Cynthia Bower
I love taking a few minutes to peek into the world from Dave's perspective and get a few laughs. I look to his writing as a style that I hope I could use to improve my own writing and voice.
Cathi
Jan 22, 2014 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a ton of Dave Barry books, and I used to read his syndicated newspaper column faithfully. In fact, I'm still sad that he no longer writes a newspaper column. :( This book is a collection of great columns from the mid-and late-1980s. It's witty, funny, silly, and typical Dave Barry. It was just what I needed this week!
Halla
Jun 15, 2010 Halla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rd-term-read
304 pgs, comedy.

This book is a whole bunch of humorous articles Dave Barry wrote for a newspaper, all assembled into a book.

A little dated, and some of the humour is hard to comprehend, but some of the lines, I have to admit are funny. I find this book slightly flaky; in some parts I'm laughing out loud, and in some parts, I just want to flip ahead and not read it. It's not very consistent that way.

For the funny articles, I would give them a 9. For the non-funny ones (because it's hard to find
Susan
Aug 04, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious and even though it came out 21 years ago it is still so funny as history repeats itself. Didn't some of those comments about Reagan apply just as well to Bush? I thought the story about New York was the best and still current (cab drivers who don't speak English,the subway,"spare change"). I also remember some of those politicians involved in scandals, eg Gary Hart and it continues today. If you've ever traveled in Europe and esp Wales you can relate to 'Europe on 5 Vowels ...more
Mike Slominsky
I'm a big fan of Dave Barry's work, but this collection was not my favorite.
John Stieven
not as funny as I had hoped -- especially for a "greatest hits"
Linda De
Feb 02, 2016 Linda De rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry cracks me up-added bonus was John Ritter as narrator.
Ann
Nov 15, 2015 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Got it as an audio book. Entertaining hearing him read his own stuff.
Kickstand447
Aug 02, 2012 Kickstand447 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
(This is the first Kindle book I've downloaded from my Library (and it probably won't be the last.) I love that I can read it on my TouchPad, my Android phone, and on my PC. So convenient.)

Re the book: I love Dave Barry & always look forward to his annual Year in Review in the Washington Post Magazine. This collection of short essays doesn't disappoint. I'm only about 1/4 through, and already there are a couple of stories he tells that are super-funny. I'm resisting saying side-splitting; bu
Lisa
Oct 17, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love reading Dave Barry's column in the newspaper, but the book form was perhaps too heavy a dose. Some of the essays (especially about his family) were quite funny, but a good bulk of the others just felt repetitive. This would probably be a good book to pick up every now & again for a little chuckle... rather than reading it like a novel, as I did. Also, future readers should be warned that this was written in the late 80's. So be prepared for lots of Reagan jokes, and references ...more
Tori
Dec 26, 2015 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dave Barry's outlook on life. Laughter... Love it.
Kendra
Jul 30, 2014 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only one thing to say...hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Dale
Feb 25, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Version a real treat

Read by John Ritter
Duration: 2 hours, 33 minutes

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits was read by John Ritter who was one of the few people who could actually read Dave Barry correctly - he put the emphasis in the right places and pauses to make the jokes work perfectly.

On to the material -

Pulled from Barry's earlier material in the early 1990s, it was a bit up and down, but mostly up..

Read more at: http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2011/...
Kara
Jun 29, 2009 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured Dave Barry books when I was a preteen...I checked them all out of the Des Plaines Public Library and would go to the Mount Prospect Public Library for more. I love Barry's everyman style and funny turn of phrase. Some find his humor cheap, and it certainly is repetitive, but he pretty much introduced me to humor writing, and obviously many other readers love him; he was quite prolific at one point. I feel nostalgic about his books and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have developed the ...more
Amy
May 28, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the best!
Joan
Mar 01, 2014 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry is still funny.
Dave Barry 2 15 Mar 18, 2013 01:16AM
  • Dilbert Gives You the Business
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Deep Thoughts
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • May the Force Be With Us, Please: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

“2. The instant the doors open, you want to push forward as hard as possible, in an effort to get onto the train without letting anybody off. This is very important. If anybody does get off, it is legal to tackle him and drag him back on.” 10 likes
“Think, for a moment, of the countless happy childhood hours you spent with this amazing device: Drawing perfect horizontals, drawing perfect verticals, drawing really spastic diagonals, trying to scrape away the silver powder from the window so you could look inside.” 6 likes