L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)

L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington #6)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  4,336 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Our Review

So, is Arrington Calder really a murderer? While we don't know the answer to that question until much later in the new Stuart Woods novel, L.A. Dead, we soon learn that Stone Barrington has never quite gotten over his infatuation with the gorgeous Arrington. And trying to prove her innocent is not exactly making lawyer Barrington's life any easier -- especially...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Penguin Group US (first published November 6th 2000)

Marguerite Czajka
It was an easy read and the mystery part was okay. But the author added in some nonsensical sex. The lead character, Stone, is called from his Italian wedding because a huge movie star (lots of paparazzi) has been murdered. Within a couple days of the murder, Stone is having sex with the star's personal assistant as well as the star's widow, who happens to the only suspect and Stone's ex. Every woman he meets, apart from the maid, is really hot for him and wears either nothing or a bikini. I thi...more
Johnny
If one simply judges a mystery by the "reveal" of the murderer, L.A. Dead is a ringing success. I wanted the murderer to be the person said murderer turned out to be, but I wasn't really successfully following the investigation. I'm sure those who regularly read my reviews are going to be surprised that I picked up another mystery by Woods, given that I thought the character was rather shallow, self-absorbed, and irresponsibly promiscuous (the name, Stone, being rather descriptive of a hardened...more
Betty
his latest installment in Woods's Stone Barrington thriller series finds the lawyer/sleuth from New York back in Los Angeles on a murder case in which everyone, even the accused, lazes along, enjoying life in sunny Southern California. In his sixth outing (following 1999's Worst Fears Realized), Barrington is surrounded by his usual cast of friends, acquaintances and casual sex partners. The biggest change here is that his ex-lover, Arrington Calder, stands accused of murdering her husband, movi...more
JBradford
My brother turned me onto Stuart Woods a couple summers ago when he passed on to me a box full of books he was done with (some of which I have not yet gotten around to reading), and I have enjoyed the ones I read, so I was happy to pick up four more of his books at a recent library book sale (at $3 a bagful, which I could not resist). I was then even happier to find that three of the four were Stone Barrington novels and in sequence, so reading the three of them one after the other was like read...more
Katy
Whodunit? We're all left not quite sure at the end . . . but we have a great deal of fun getting there.

Stone, determined to complicate his life as much as possible (and forget the love of his life, Arrington, who is married to the movie star Vance Calder) has traveled to Venice, Italy to marry Dolce, Eduardo Bianci's daughter (and his best friend Dino's sister-in-law). He is informed that for the marriage to be properly realized in Italy, there must be both a civil and religious ceremony - howe...more
Renee Jennings
This latest installment in Woods's Stone Barrington thriller series finds the lawyer/sleuth from New York back in Los Angeles on a murder case in which everyone, even the accused, lazes along, enjoying life in sunny Southern California. In his sixth outing (following 1999's Worst Fears Realized), Barrington is surrounded by his usual cast of friends, acquaintances and casual sex partners. The biggest change here is that his ex-lover, Arrington Calder, stands accused of murdering her husband, mov...more
Bob0link
This is the 6th book in the Stone Barrington series (I recommend reading from the beginning).

In L. A. Dead, Stone finds himself caught between two alluring women-one who has been left at the altar and another who is suspected of murder. Stone is in the midst of plans to marry Dolce, the daughter of a New York mafioso, when he is suddenly called to the side of Arrington Calder, a woman he has loved and lost, but never forgotten. To her horror, Arrington believes she is about to be indicted for t...more
Will
Gina Morelli
It's been a while, but I remember loving this book. Thinking Stone Barrington was one lucky guy and laughing as I reading this in the bathtub a decade ago. I was young and I was tickled reading this book...it took me away from my reality world into a fictional world of Stone Barrington! A relaxing fun read.
Bel
I just wonder if he will ever encounter a woman who looks 'normal' and not model-beautiful....

As usual a romp from start to finish, a decent supposed murderer reveal and lots of glitz. These books aren't high brow but they are good fun
E.J. Simon
I love Stuart Woods and have probably lost the ability to be objectively critical - even if I needed to be - of his books. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorites!
Gramy
In this book, Stone Barrington is caught between multiple women drawn by his lust. His faith in the woman he lived with and wanted to marry is questioned when Arrington is arrested for murdering her husband. There are no other suspect being considered by the police. Stone vows to do everything he can to prove her innocense with the help of a local attorney who advises him to keep his distance from Arrington until her trial for murder is completed. Meantime, he finds plenty of sexual partners to...more
Bud Mallar
Sorry, but these aren't Sherlock Holmes stories, but Stone Barrington, who gets into more scrapes, beds, women, rich places in one book covering about a week than most of us even dream about in a lifetime.

Not great drama, although, even with the twist at the end, I'm still not sure whodunit.

I do like the series because I don't have to pay that much attention, and they are an easy read, and I don't have to think about it when finished - although one could argue Stone's morality and ethics.

But, as...more
Holly
These Stone Barrington novels are pretty quick reads. I'm going to complain against by the amount of unnecessary sex...apparently there isn't a woman on earth that won't sleep with this guy Stone! Anyway...the plot itself was good. Since my husband is enjoying these books (I wonder why??? ha!), we have a big stash of them at the house, but not all of them. I'm trying to read them in order. This came after DIRT but I think there were two in between that we didn't have so I missed a little bit. Bu...more
Karen Williams

Spoiler alert

Vance Calder dies...
Irene Imboden
It is clear to me that Woods is a misogynist who knows women are good for only one thing. Using "she doesn't like wearing terry cloth robes" as a defense in a murder trial? SMH
Judy
too much eating,drinking,getting in and out of beds
Gerald
I got hooked on Stuart Woods' Stone Barington novels several months ago when I checked out SON OF STONE in the CD version, which I listen to in my car. As soon as I have finished one, I head back to the library to check out the next one. It makes me look forward to going somewhere in the car, so I can find out what happens next in the novel. The only "mistake" I've made is that I have not read them in chronological order. I am currently enjoying L.A. Dead very much.
Alice
Always leaves you hanging...
Karen
Woods brings Stone Barrington back into action when a former lover is accused of murdering her husband. He leaves a cushy vacation to assist Arrington meanwhile his unbalanced and possessive fiance is stalking him in LA.

The suspense is taught as Barrington and company try to clear the young woman and dodge bullets from his kooky paramour. The dialogue is fantastic and the characters are rich.
Melissa
I accidentally read 14 and 15 of this series first and have been reading them completely out of order. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still a page turner. These books have many typographical errors and the author's note at the end of the book makes him seem like an ass, but I have to say, I was hooked and can't wait to read them all.
Cheryl
Ah, this poor poor man! He keeps finding himself with different naked ladies who all want his body. How he keeps them apart... Well, he doesn't.

This is a murder mystery set in Hollywood with links to Italy and the East Coast. Will Stone Barrington get his client/former lover off? How much trouble can one man get into?

The trouble is quite entertaining.
Mary Fitzsimons
I had this in my to be read box and pulled it out in honor of Elaine, from Elaine's restaurant in NYC. She was a friend to many authors including the author of this book Stuart Woods. He opened many of his books with scenes set at Elaine's. May she rest in peace.

It is one of my favorite's of this series so far and I'd rate it a 4.4 out of 5.
Theresa
Love this book series. Very easy to read and entertaining. The only annoyance is the author trying to make Stone Barrington a playboy. This series is worth the read though. Suspense is always good enough to keep you engaged until the end. Best enjoyed if read in order as the stories are continuous and the characters are building history.
Mary Newcomb
Apparently Stone Barrington is so amazing that women can not resist his charms. Somehow this is not his fault. He also manages to become embroiled in some high level mysteries amongst the rich and famous. While the mystery was OK, the rest was a bit much. I am thinking this series is joining my Do Not Read category. Bye Stone!
Dr. Thomas Wasser
It was an entertaining read, but not the best in the series. Had kind of an expected ending. For Stone Barrington fans who have always wanted to know about how the Stone and Dolce relationship exploded this is the bood to read. Its got nothing to do with the story at hand really but its good to know as you read other books.
Kent Woodger
Stuart Woods protagonist, Stone Barrington, is by turns both brave and chicken when it comes to his love life. That aside this edition (#6 in the series) is a fast read and entertaining if somewhat unrealistic (who ever heard of a softhearted Sicilian Mafia don?). I've read better from Stuart Woods.
Skip
I accidentally read this book out of order, which is annoying. Stone and Arrington are brought together again as she is accused of murdering Vance Calder, and Stone has to deal with his love for Arrington and his Italian marriage to his best friend's "connected" and unbalanced sister-in-law.
Greer Andjanetta
Book 6 in the series - by reading them sequentially the characters are like old friends, familiar and comfortable. A good story in which the central character is out to LA to help his former mistress (almost fiance) who is accused of murdering her movie star husband. Readable and enjoyable.
Hope R
It was a good book. Lots of twists and turns and just enough complexity. The only qualm I have about the book was the main character's relations with women. Through the course of the book he had no less than five women try to seduce him. That's hard to imagine being very realistic.
  • Try Fear
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • Rough Weather (Spenser, #36)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Trial By Fury
  • The Hanged Man's Song (Kidd & LuEllen, #4)
  • The New Centurions
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18) Dead In The Water (Stone Barrington, #3)