Start by marking “People Who Walk in Darkness” as Want to Read:
People Who Walk in Darkness

People Who Walk in Darkness (Porfiry Rostnikov #15)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Inspector Rostnikov returns! The Ed McBain of Mother Russia!--Kirkus
Hardcover, Large Print, 399 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by Wheeler Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about People Who Walk in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Who Walk in Darkness

Rob Kitchin
People Who Walk in Darkness has a fast paced plot involving many threads. The plot and characters hold much potential, but the narrative failed to deliver in many ways. The storytelling felt workman-like and rushed, with not enough attention to detail. My suspicion is it was written to a formula, by an old hand who has a track record of churning out a couple of books a year – others of which are much more finely honed. The result is flat prose, under-developed characters and scenes, and a lack o ...more
Jimmy Tarlau
Jul 01, 2012 Jimmy Tarlau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I enjoy these Russian mystery stories (as in Martin Cruz Smith). At first I didn't like the Kaminsky books as much but I've changed my opinion of them. Post Communist Russia is as dark and brooding as it was during the socialist regimes. The plots aren't that great but the atmosphere makes the book compelling.
Taunya Harvill
Aug 01, 2011 Taunya Harvill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a review that gave this author a hard time for inaccuracies regarding names and places in the former U.S.S.R. I have read a few Russian authors and the details in these books never tarnished the thrill. I really love this series.
Eddie
Apr 09, 2010 Eddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 16th Inspector Rostnikov book. Always a good read. Rostinikov survived bureaucracy in the Soviet days and continues to solve crimes in the post-soviet environment. Interesting take on immigration in the new Russia.
Nadine
Sep 11, 2008 Nadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosnikov is a great character and the setting of present-day Russia is fascinating, but don't start with this book. The earlier ones are better and worth a try if you read mysteries for setting.
Frank
Jul 05, 2015 Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[library audiobook, plot summary elsewhere]

I felt some remorse about totally trashing this audiobook, I've read other Kaminsky and liked them. This had the virtue of a narrator who did some interesting Russian accents. The Russian setting had some interest as well, although I don't remember any explanation the Ukraine as a separate nation. BUT the book jumps from one character and place to another, I couldn't keep the names straight (maybe not paying enough attention to the spoken narrative), th
M Rothenbuhler
Mar 06, 2016 M Rothenbuhler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent part of the Kaminsky's "Porfiry Rostnikov" detective series, of which I am a fan. The three connected mysteries, with three teams of detectives working on them, jell well together. Overall, the plot makes sense.

Three criticisms: one, the torture of some of the Botswanans is too explicit for me. I can be told that someone was tortured without getting quite so much detail. This detracted.

Also, the whole singing child in the mines never made sense to me. Did I miss something?

Lastly, when w
Andrew
There is apparently a diamond smuggling ring operating in post-Soviet Russia – not surprisingly, it is a murderous diamond smuggling ring. Inspector Rostnikov has been sent to a small, old diamond mine in Siberia to investigate – where he also encounters an issue of a more personal nature. Meanwhile, his colleagues are following up leads in Moscow and in Kiev, involving sahdy diamond merchants suffering from DeBeers Envy and cover models and Botswanian nationals and organized crime. All the whil ...more
Stephanie
By my count, this is the last book that prolific writer and Northwestern University Professor, Stuart Kaminsky, published before his death to hepatitis in October 2009 (A Whisper to the Living was published posthumously in 2010). Although People who Walk in Darkness (a reference to both the criminally minded and diamond miners--both the subject of this book) is not Kaminsky's best work, it does not disappoint. Kaminsky had an amazing gift for sentence construction, and his insight into the Russi ...more
Kat
Jun 26, 2009 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a v. popular book with great reviews. Not as good as the excellent Child 44, last summer's mystery set in Russia. I guess there must be one each summer... :) It was OK, but I didn't like the v. frequent (every 3-5 pages) action shifts between the mine in Siberia, Moscow, Kiev and London. It made it seem more like a script for a thriller movie than a novel. The mystery is almost irrelevant as the focus seems to be on the very quirky characters (main hero talks to his wooden leg and visits ...more
Harriet
Apr 14, 2015 Harriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really miss Stuart Kaminsky!! A thoroughly enjoyable Porfiry Rostbikov! Interesting plot and characters as always.
Mam
May 04, 2015 Mam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like "the washtub," and his determination. Interesting setting, too.
Marvin
Apr 21, 2015 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too complicated. Too many plots. Far too many names.
J
Feb 13, 2016 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick, enjoyable, full of twists
Carolyn Rose
Keeping track of multi-syllable names in another language is always a challenge for my already challenged brain, but I stuck with it and enjoyed this tale of diamond smuggling from Siberia. The twists and turns kept me hanging, but I wanted a little more explanation at the end.
This was, however, the first book I'd read in this series, so the fault for that could be mine for not "doing my homework" and starting with book I.
Sheila
Oct 26, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Stuart Kaminsky - his melancholy characters struggling to retain an ethical core AND a sense of humour. I always worry that maybe this is his last book because he's written about a million. Rostnikov is good, as usual, and there are the usual twists and turns coming together in a more and more improbable way, but one we're happy to follow.
Lynn
Dec 29, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-rereads
Kaminsky probably should have stopped the Rostnikov series with this book, which more or less wraps up most of the character storylines in ways that are consistent with the characters' histories and personalities.
Tom O'Connor
May 09, 2010 Tom O'Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-books
I really enjoyed this book, always like the Rosnikov books. Just a classic mystery, with the characters from the series continuing to be fleshed out. I heard a rumor that the author has died, don't know if it is true?
Judith
I found this very disappointing. I had a difficult time following the characters due to the Russian names. There was no one with whom I could relate or that I respected. The plot was also disappointing.
Sandi
Finally, after a seven year gap, another Rostnikov adventure. I like all of Kaminksy's series but this is my favorite and hope that he writes another sooner rather than later.
Sharron
Mar 30, 2010 Sharron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Porfiry is a fabulous character but Kaminsky has written better stories. that said, I enjoyed this.
Fred
Nov 04, 2008 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The trade of illicit diamonds is inter-continental by nature and world-wide in scale.
Andrea
I like the Rostnikov character, but this particular book was only okay.
Elise Hamilton
A predictable but well-written cop novel with a twist: the setting is Russia.
Jaci
Aug 26, 2008 Jaci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaminsky could publish his grocery list and I'd like it. And I love Rostnikov.
Franny
Oct 21, 2013 Franny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay in a pinch. Russian names difficult to 'pronounce.'
Leslie Ferrari
Jul 12, 2011 Leslie Ferrari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Rostnikov novel, like visiting an old friend.
Bradley
Feb 16, 2010 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-bookshelf
Inspector Rostnikov heads to Siberia
Jeanoc
Oct 22, 2008 Jeanoc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another good one fromthis series
Maire
Jan 16, 2009 Maire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
  • Maigret on the Defensive
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • To Love, Honor, and Perish (Squeaky Clean Mysteries #6)
  • Ice Fire: A Thriller (Jock Boucher #1)
  • Bloody Passage
  • Death in Sardinia
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • The Doctrines That Divide: A Fresh Look at the Historic Doctrines That Separate Christians
  • Pennies On a Dead Woman's Eyes
  • Rizzo's War (Joe Rizzo, #1)
  • Prescription For Murder (Murder, She Wrote #39)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Porfiry Rostnikov (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • Black Knight in Red Square (Porfiry Rostnikov, #2)
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • A Fine Red Rain (Porfiry Rostnikov, #4)
  • A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)
  • The Man Who Walked Like a Bear (Porfiry Rostnikov, #6)
  • Rostnikov's Vacation (Porfiry Rostnikov, #7)
  • Death of a Russian Priest (Porfiry Rostnikov, #8)
  • Hard Currency (Porfiry Rostnikov, #9)
  • Blood and Rubles (Porfiry Rostnikov, #10)