Start by marking “In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy” as Want to Read:
In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy

In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  20 reviews
His Holiness the Dalai Lama is celebrated as Buddhism's preeminent spiritual master and teacher, embodying the highest aspirations of this rich tradition that is more than 2,500 years old. With both profundity and simplicity, he has carried the nuanced teachings of the Buddha to the far corners of the globe, and in the process has touched and tr...
Paperback, Large Print, 212 pages
Published May 12th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In My Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Own Words

Splendy
How dare a common human like me give only 3 stars to a book written by “His Holiness,” an internationally renowned spiritual leader!? Damn! Let’s just jump right into the parts that I’m struggling with, rather than dwell on the fact that I’m stepping to a teacher who is spiritually as great as the ocean.

The Dalai Lama explains again and again that, “achieving the perfection of ethics means that you attain a state of mind that refrains from harming sentient beings in any way at all.” Non-violence...more
Emily
His Holiness The Dalai Lama is nothing is not prolific. His website lists over 100 books he has written or co-written since the 1960s, ranging from autobiographies to scientific essays on particle physics, instructions on meditation, and a Buddhist perspective on the teachings of Jesus. In My Own Words provides a brief explanation of his foundational beliefs and opinions on how they apply in various circles of influence.

The very essence of Buddhism, according to the Dalai Lama, is “interdependen...more
Darrell
Profound, deep. Nothing short of a philosophical mind and a good understanding of Buddhism would be needed to understand the work of His Holiness, and unfortunately, I am nowhere near that level.

But it is still enlightening to read through and grasp the tiny little fragments of his thoughts every little now and then. Here's one of my favorite extract from the book:

"Every world religion, no matter what its philosophical view, is founded first and foremost on the precept that we must reduce our se...more
Rebecca
Besides it's beautiful message and path to controlling one's mind, Buddhism is the religion of lists and sub-lists! I began taking notes of every list (The Four Noble Truths, The Eight-Fold Path, The Three Jewels, the Four Buddhist Seals, The Six Sentient Beings, The Five Desirous Attributes...etc.) and found that there were too many (with the sub-lists) to keep order on my paper. Clearly, one must absorb the Dharma slowly.

This quick read is an excellent introduction to Buddhism and to the thoug...more
dario
Sep 24, 2010 dario rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to dario by: Michelle
Lejos de los dogmas, está el resultado de una filosofìa milenaria.
Sentido común a más no poder, rechazo total (alguna vez el príncipe Gauthama del clan Sakya se permitió uno) a los milagros.
Religión basada en la libertad y principalmente, en la fortaleza mental, la compasión, el amor al otro, el respeto al enemigo (tu enemigo es tu mejor amigo, señala el Dalai Lama).
Se puede estar o no de acuerdo con esta religiòn (lo es?), pero cuando uno se compromete con ella, uno termina siendo otra persona...more
Melissa
The writing was interesting, as was the topic. I was very surprised by the number of elements that I strongly disagree with. I thought Buddhism was more of a philosophy than a religion but there were so many parts of this book that seemed more like an organized religion, from a behavioral perspective, than I had hoped. It's certainly thought-provoking though so although I don't necessarily agree with a lot of it, I still appreciated reading it.
Jean-Paul
An easy to read introduction to the tenants of Tibetan Buddhism, this book is a collection of the Dalia Lama's most accessible works on topics ranging from "compassion" to "karma." For those folks curious about just what makes the 14th Dalia Lama such an engaging media/historical figure, this particular translation and presentation allows for his world-view and attitude to come alive in a way that matches his public persona.
Rubina
A good basic introduction to the teachings of Buddhism. The Dalai Lama explains the history, concepts and intentions of Buddhism before proceeding to teach about the Four Noble Truths, how to transform the mind, practice mindfulness and an awakening mind. There are still aspects of the teachings on Emptiness that I am trying to understand though.
Johnny Stork
Another exceptional introductory book from the Dalai Lama. Great first-read for anyone interested in his basic philosophies and teachings. Highly secular and applicable, or of value, to anyone with an interest in living a spiritual and harmonious life.
Michael
A decent introduction to the Dalai Lama's beliefs. I found his thoughts on human nature, policy, science, and the modern world more clear and useful than his explanation of Buddhist religious traditions.
John
Without regard to one's religion this book offers an insight into becoming a better human capable of showing compassion to others.
Amber
A really easy read. Basic introduction from the world's number one authority on his views, Buddhism in general, and meditation guidance.
Ruth
I love reading about the Buddhist's and their religion. They are such a peaceful group of people. I try to live by their words.
Pat
Remarkable man but I did enjoy his earlier books a little better. Nice to have a reminder of what is really important...
Patty
I liked it. The beginning was the best and then it just seemed a bit repetative.
Christine
A bit inaccessible and heavy-handed, but interesting. May revisit it another time.
Lisa
It would have garnered another star if a few chapters weren't over my head. :)
Julia
Not sure where I went wrong, but my review is under comments...?
Kei
Because the purpose of life truly is to be happy.
Lkelley
A wise guy, that Dalai Lama!
Saraswati
Saraswati marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Renee Henderson
Renee Henderson marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Saira
Saira marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Adventures of a Psychic: The Fascinating and Inspiring True-Life Story of One of America's Most Successful Clairvoyants
  • Discover the Power Within You
  • After Life
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life
  • The Mayan Prophecies: Unlocking the Secrets of a Lost Civilization
  • The Scalpel and the Soul: Encounters with Surgery, the Supernatural, and the Healing Power of Hope
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes
  • The Kojiki: Records of Ancient Matters
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama

“Because we all share an identical need for love, it is possible to feel that anybody we meet, in whatever circumstances, is a brother or sister. No matter how new the face or how different the dress and behavior, there is no significant division between us and other people. It is foolish to dwell on external differences, because our basic natures are the same.” 11 likes
“I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. From the moment of birth, every human being wants happiness and does not want suffering. Neither social conditioning nor education nor ideology affects this. From the very core of our being, we simply desire contentment. I don’t know whether the universe, with its countless galaxies, stars, and planets, has a deeper meaning or not, but—at the very least—it is clear that we humans who live on this earth face the task of making a happy life for ourselves. Therefore, it is important to discover what will bring about the greatest degree of happiness.” 1 likes