Start by marking “The Young WAN” as Want to Read:
The Young WAN

The Young WAN (Agnes Browne 0.5)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Before she was a Mammy, before she had Chisellers, and before they made her a Granny, Agnes Browne was Agnes Reddin, a young girl-or a Young Wan- growing up in the Jarro in Dublin.

Brendan O'Carroll takes readers back to the heart of working-class Dublin, this time in the 1940s. Together with her soon to be lifelong best friend Marion Delany, young Agnes manages to survive
Published January 27th 2004 by Penguin Group US (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Young WAN, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young WAN

Cynthia
Jul 29, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cynthia by: Marla
(page 24) "She had watched her sisters over the years, each one trying to be more beautiful than the others, constantly dressing up and appearing at social events looking like a gardener's exhibit. The sole purpose of which seemed to be to capture a man just like their father and then become invisible just like their mother."
Isn't that last line just haunting?
Ava Black
Questo e' il primo romanzo della serie dedicata ad Agnes Brown, anzi, per essere corretti, e' un prequel. Ne avevo sentito parlare qui su GR, cosi', quando l'ho visto in biblioteca, l'ho preso anche se dista dai generi che sono solita leggere.
Ebbene, questo libro e' un biglietto di sola andata per l'Irlanda di qualche decennio fa, soprattutto per chi, come me, non vi ha mai messo piede. Insieme ad Agnes, ci ritroviamo nel Jarro, a Dublino. Questo e' romanzo corale: Agnes dovrebbe esserne la prot
Lynn Baden

This book is the prequel to The Mammy, The Chisellers and The Granny which I read eons ago. It is about Agnes Browne before she got married - Agnes Reddin.

Agnes' mother was the daughter of the foundry owner. She was kind to the employees and learned all their names and the like. She worked in accounts and helped hand out their pay.

Agnes' dad worked in the foundry and was a union leader. How they get together is one of the great stories in the book so I won't spoil it for you.

They have 2 little g
Lisa Wilson
In this prequel to the Agnes Brown series, author Brendan O'Carroll hits another homerun! This book is every bit as entertaining and inspiring as the previous three. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. It was so nice to finally get a bit of the back story on the friendship between Agnes and Marion Monks, her lifelong friend. Even though these novels are relatively short, O'Carrol manages to develop the characters and their relationships to the extent that the reader becomes in ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The publication data says this volume of "Mrs Browne" was published some years after "The Mammy" and yet it reads like a first attempt. The first few chapters jump back and forth in time from one set of characters to another, in a jerky, unsuccessful attempt to cover all the backstory at once. The foreshadowing in the book is clunky and obvious, and the writing doesn't seem to really hit its stride until almost halfway through. I honestly thought O'Carroll had written this one first. It's possib ...more
Kitty
The Young Wan is a prequel to O'Carroll's lauded Agnes Browne trilogy and tells the story of Agnes Browne before she was the mammy. It follows the story of her parents meeting and falling in love, not necessarily in that order, the moment that cemented Agnes's bond with her best friend, Marion, and her wedding day. All through it is the same bond of laughter and love that characterizes O'Carroll's writing, and Agnes Browne is both loving, kind, rebellious, and independent. We see where she gets ...more
Tomi-Ann
This is apparently the last-written of a series that I will now read the rest of. But this one goes back in time to tell us of how Agnes Browne gets born and lives her early childhood in the slum in north Dublin. It's a charming read. I look foward to The Mammy next. And then I'm going to watch Angelica Huston's movie "Agnes Browne."
Piperitapitta
No, non �� roba da polvere di stelle, da testa fra le nuvole, da fate in fondo al giardino. Ma per Dio, s��! Nel Jarro ce n'�� eccome, di magia.

Per�� questa volta, al quarto libro in compagnia di Agnes e della sua famiglia - questo �� un prequel, quindi niente marmocchi, questa �� la storia di Agnes, da quando era bambina fino al giorno del matrimonio - questa volta, temo proprio che sia finita.

Da leggere, soprattutto per l'introduzione di Brendan O' Carroll, raramente mi �� capitato di leggerne
Piperitapitta

'mary
May 20, 2008 'mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 'mary by: Lauren & Ellen
A Riot! How funny that O'Carroll ran out of stories for the original family, he had to retrace just to keep us entertained with Agnes. As if it was an after thought. Funny just the same.
Krista
Aug 28, 2008 Krista rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Krista by: Shelley
This is a charming, easy read. Not as humorous as the Browne family triology, but good dialogue and an informative view into Irish life in the 19th century.
Maureen
This is MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!!! I absolutely loved it!!!!
It was fun surprising and a great read!!!!! You all should get it what fun!!!!!!!
Chris
This book was fantastic! I couldn't put it down. There are 3 more books in the series that I can't wait to read!
Bernadette
Not as good as the other 2, but still a fun listen. Want to listen/read the other ones in this series.
Shui
Heard this on audio. Hilarious,gritty and laugh out loud.Marion is THE bes!!
Shannon
This book was great. Absolutely hysterical and moving as well.
Melissa
Book about kids in 1940s Dublin. Very interesting.
Marla Glenn
Sep 09, 2007 Marla Glenn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: O'Carroll fans
I loved this one the most.
Maggie
This book is the prequel to the Agnes Browne trilogy, which I guess means it isn't a trilogy, but a series of four. Or maybe the author means it to be separate from the others in some way, I really don't know. Anyway, I liked it. It was nice to see how Agnes Browne became who she is. Or was. Or whatever. The story starts with her parents meeting and goes up until Agnes gets married to Redser, who you never really get to know much about. He plays a small, but important, part of this book, and of ...more
Roberta
Ultimo capitolo delle avventure di Agnes Browne, che a lungo mi (ci) ha tenuto compagnia (fin dal 2009, per quel che mi riguarda!) Per me il migliore in assoluto rimane I marmocchi di Agnes, mentre The Granny (l'unico che ho letto in lingua originale) si è guadagnato solo tre stelline, anche se - onestamente - non ricordo bene il perchè.

Le avventure di Agnes (accompagnata dall'irresistibile amica Marion) sono davvero divertenti (a dire al vero spesso anche strappalacrime) ma non mi ha convinto c
Tara Lynn
I've lent these books by Brendan O'Carroll to everyone I can think of. They're beautiful books, and have such a sincere, sweet tone.

From wiki:

Brendan O'Carroll is a comedian, writer, actor and director from Finglas, Dublin, Ireland.

O'Carroll has written six novels, including The Mammy, The Chisslers, The Granny and The Young Wan; a number of these have become best sellers and have been published in other languages.[citation needed:]

He has also written four films and seven stage plays.[citation
Wolfpabiru
Quando una amica ci racconta della nonna o di un genitore defunto noi ci commuoviamo. Non stiamo a pensare alla profondità del racconto. Questa è una di quelle storie, come lo erano anche gli altri libri della saga. Raccontata in modo semplice, piena d'amore che tocca il cuore in vari momenti. Momenti semplici che molti di noi hanno vissuto e per questo sono momenti speciali anche se possono sembrare banali.

Detto questo bisogna dire però che O'Carroll gioca molto con le tecniche narrative tipic
Lisetta
Aim�� purtroppo ( ma anche per fortuna),con questo libro termina la saga familiare che vede come protagonista la mitica, Agnes.

Ogni volta che mi accingevo ad intraprendere la lettura, di uno dei quattro libri di questa saga, partivo sempre prevenuta. Convinta che l���autore avesse trovato la strada del successo, assicurato dal primo libro, e dunque che ogni nuova uscita fosse determinata dalla ripetizione di luoghi ed eventi.

Invece puntualmente, mi sono dovuta ricredere. Ogni parte della storia
Crisadmaiora
There are books that make you think a lot, books that seem to talk to you and answer to your wonders, books that are difficult and profound and for which you feel a sort of respect as if they were wise mentors... And then there are books like this. So light and yet so comforting. LIke a hot chocolate cup in a coldest day, like a warm cat purring on your lap when you feel completely lonely....A book that warms you heart, makes you laugh so much and feel in peace with the world again.
After reading
Margherita Dolcevita
Non è che non sia bello, è che rispetto ai tre precedenti questo quarto capitolo, un cosiddetto prequel, è nettamente inferiore. Certo, alcuni spunti divertenti ci sono, grazie soprattutto a Marion, ma il romanzo fatica a decollare. Personalmente poi non sentivo lo spasmodico bisogno di sapere certe cose della vita di Agnes, men che meno dei suoi genitori, non mi sono mai posta certi "Chissà come...?" durante la lettura dei precedenti tre volumi: in effetti le uniche parti interessanti della vit ...more
Sonia
Gli ho dato davvero 4 stelle??
Con Agnes Browne viene meno la mia cattiveria, la mia razionalità: mentre leggo, in certi momenti, mi rendo conto che quella storia non è qualcosa di eccezionale, di fantastico, e poi a fine romanzo mi sento come se mi fosse stato tolto un pezzo, come se la fine della lettura mi avesse privato definitivamente di un'altra Agnes nel futuro... e quel senso di smarrimento di vuoto mi porta a pensare che quel che ho letto era perfetto e si merita il massimo!!!
C'è Agnes d
Pam Herrmann
I have loved all the Brendan O'Carroll books that I have read and this one doesn't disappoint. A lovely story about Agnes growing up in the Jarro in Dublin. I would love to have a friend like Marion, she sounds like she would have you laughing every day! Wishing there were more to the series! Don't want it to end.
China Bialos
I'm usually a bit reluctant to try bestsellers, but this was one of the best pieces of fiction I can recall reading in a good while -- it was tragic, it made me laugh out loud, the entire story was believable. The author is male but never once appeared condescending toward his female protagonist (or characters, in general). The Irish accent of each character was well-written, and I found it easy to empathize with each character. What begins as a story about Irish politics and labor activism beco ...more
Erin
Dec 29, 2010 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: irish lit fans
Recommended to Erin by: barbara magone
A very fun little book. I love stories about the turn of the century, especially in ireland (like this one) or england. The sad yet heartwarming and funny story of Agnes Browne as a young girl until the day of her wedding. Far from being as depressing as Angela's Ashes but basically along the same lines. Also a very quick read. I read the last 100 pages in a few hours, and probably could have read it all in a day if I had the time. There are 3 others in this series which I will probably read eve ...more
Harry Allagree
Delightful! Moving. Full of Irish humor. Gritty. True-to-life characters. O'Carroll's The Young Wan is all this & more. What a perfect book to finish on the eve of St. Patrick's Day!
  • The Deportees and Other Stories
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Inishowen
  • A Skull in Connemara - Acting Edition
  • A Field Guide to Irish Fairies
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • The Book Stops Here (Mobile Library Mystery, #3)
  • A Secret History of the IRA
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • The Speckled People: A Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood
  • God's Mountain
  • Acqua in bocca
  • Aches & Pains
  • Birchwood
  • Sola come un gambo di sedano
  • A Dublin Student Doctor  (Irish Country #6)
  • Dark Congress (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #8)
Brendan O'Carroll is an Irish BAFTA-winning writer, producer, comedian, author, actor and director. A popular comedian in Ireland since the early 1990s, O'Carroll is best known internationally for portraying the foul-mouthed Irish matriarch Agnes Brown in Mrs. Brown's Boys. O'Carroll has written seven novels, including The Mammy (1994), The Chisellers (1995), The Granny (1996), The Scrapper (origi ...more
More about Brendan O'Carroll...
The Mammy The Chisellers The Granny Agnes Browne Trilogy Boxed Set: The Mammy, The Chisellers, The Granny (Agnes Browne, #1-3) Mrs Brown's Family Handbook