Start by marking “Lights Out” as Want to Read:
Lights Out

Lights Out

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"Lights Out is a fast, furious page-turner. This book is a huge treat."---Jeffery Deaver, author of The Cold Moon: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel

From Barry and Anthony Award-winning author Jason Starr comes a story of two friends divided by chance and reunited during a long Brooklyn weekend that will change both of their lives forever. Ryan Rossetti and Jake Thomas were the two Maj
Published September 19th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out

Josh
Dec 07, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2011
'Lights Out' provides a glimpse into the life of a gangster by association. Set amongst an inner city urban backdrop, 'Lights Out' explores fame and the corruption of conscience in brutal and unflinching honesty. J.T has it all, stardom on the field through America's favourite pastime, adoring fans, money, notoriety, and all the accoutrement's one could want. The only thing holding him back is a statutory rape claim. In order to boost his image and out tabloid the tabloids, he returns to his 'ho ...more
Manuel Antão
Jun 08, 2016 Manuel Antão rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

[image error]

"Lights Out" is not so much a thriller as it is a dark, brooding character study. Starr's narrative has an adjacency (to use a noun that became very dear to me after reading "The Adjacency" by Christopher Priest...) that simultaneously unsettles and drives the story forward. Reading it is like walking pell-mell and slightly drunk through a strange locale with the only certain certainty being that each step takes you further away and closer to inimical territory. You trust your minis
Ed
Aug 26, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wicked, well-paced noir set in Brooklyn featuring two baseball players and a girl they both love for very different reasons. Will read more of Jason's stuff in the future.
Kyle Pratt
Jan 25, 2013 Kyle Pratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preppers and fans of TEOTWAWKI genre
Shelves: fiction, teotwawki
Ladiibbug
Mar 17, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard Boiled Suspense Fans
Stand Alone Suspense/Thriller *Hard Boiled*

Lights Out is a runaway rollercoaster of a book. A violent, gritty, take no prisoners thriller.

Jake and Ryan grew up and played baseball together in Brooklyn. Both were sought-after by the majors and both dreamed of a career as a big time pro baseball player. Jake achieved that dream and is living it. Ryan, due to an injury, is now living at home with his parents and makes his living as a housepainter.

Years of simmering jealousy, rivalry and resentment
Michael
Jan 31, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Rossetti and Jake Thomas were two Mayor League rivals in high school baseball. Their relationship has often been misunderstood, they were never the best of friends but always been at competition wit each other. Ryan`s height is one of the main reasons why he has been overlooked, in contrast to Jake`s height. After Ryan injured his pitching arm, he landed a job as a house painter. On the other hand, Jack made it to superstar stardom. Not only does he has a ten million dollar signing bonus, b ...more
Ed Armstrong
Feb 20, 2010 Ed Armstrong rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has enjoyed Jason Starr's other novels
This book attempted to tell a story with a moral. The book featured two characters who had been school mates and outstanding baseball players during high school. One made it to the majors and was a well paid rookie with the Pittsburgh Pirates; the other had been signed by a Cleveland Indians farm club but was injured during season play and left professional baseball. Their lives crossed again during a fateful weekend when the star athlete returned to his hometown for a celebration weekend. Both ...more
PhobicPrerogative
Feb 12, 2015 PhobicPrerogative rated it liked it
I don't know what to make of Jason Starr's books. They are definitely intriguing, but if you're the kind of reader who looks for a happily-ever-after at the end of a book, you won't get it from Jason Starr. You will, however, be entertained.
Steve
I enjoyed this thriller, in which all of the heroes are antiheroes and the dialog is street smart. The author has a unique voice, and I look forward to reading more of his fiction.
Harding Young
Oct 06, 2015 Harding Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Jason Starr is that no matter how pathetic, unlikeable or downright disgusting his characters, you can't resist spending a weekend following their sorry asses around. Hell, you'll even go to Brooklyn to do it.
Electric
Sep 23, 2011 Electric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, read-in-2011
Jason Starr auf der Höhe seines Genres. Kein symphatischer Held weit und breit, lauter sozial inkompetente Loser die sich durch ihre eigenen Handlungen immer weiter Richtung Katastrophe bewegen. Hier: ein Baseballstar, seine Verlobte, ein Freund aus Highschool-Tagen und Zufälle die meistens in Mord und Totschlag enden. Außerdem scheint das auch Starrs Bearbeitung des väterlichen Einflusses in der Kernfanilie zu sein, so wichtig wie die (samt und sonders gescheiterten) Väter aller drei Hauptfigur ...more
Dave
Aug 14, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dumb, juvenile dialogue and plotting.
Julie Carson
What rubbish. I kept reading it expecting something to happen, and it didn't! It took ages to build up into what could have been good, but then just fizzled out, with no real end. It couldn't even been described as a cliff hanger, if that was the effect the quthor was trying to go for. This is the second book I've read, and I wasn't keen on the first, therefore gave him a second chance. I won't be bothering reading any more of his stuff.
Alecia
Jun 09, 2011 Alecia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Jason Starr's kind of "trashy" (in a good way) noir tales. But I didn't think this one was up to his usual work. It especially lost me in the many chapters where he used colloquial English when the gang members are talking. Sometimes this works just fine, but in this case, it felt strained to me. I'll still be reading him in the future.
Deanna
Sep 26, 2007 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ew! Pretty much hated it. Too much talk about baseball, which I love to play and don't mind to watch, but really don't wanna read about. The ending sucked too. No real closure. I hate that in an ending.
Kristen
Mar 14, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good--easy read. Two boys grow up playing baseball one goes pro, one doesn't...they both meet up years later. I won't remember this book next week but I really couldn't put it down.
C
Feb 05, 2008 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointments
This was okay, but I liked Starr much better when his books were under Vintage Lizard. I'd like to know who his editor was for those early books so I can appropriately worship him or her.
John Sheridan
Dec 22, 2011 John Sheridan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A fairly ordinary effort without much to recommend it to be honest, could have left it sitting in the to be read pile a while longer without missing out on anything.
Stephanie
Aug 07, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badass
I loved this!!! And I picked the summertime to read it, which made it even better since a baseball player is one of the characters. I am a Jason Starr superfan!!!
Frank Byrns
Dec 04, 2010 Frank Byrns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball, crime
Another good one from Jason Starr, featuring his usual array of dimwits who think they're way smarter than they actually are.
Raechelle Thomas
Jan 16, 2013 Raechelle Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this book more than I thought I would but felt like it left me hanging at the end; I'm wanting a sequel.
Caelin Beaty
Sometimes junk food tastes good. Sometimes it just makes you sick. Depends on your mood, I guess.
Brian Domingos
Still waiting for the "noir" to kick in...
Jennifer Van horn
Jan 16, 2013 Jennifer Van horn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to see this movie on the big screen!!
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Choke Hold
  • The Last Match (Hard Case Crime #25)
  • Pariah
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Wild Wives
  • Robbie's Wife (Hard Case Crime #29)
  • Getting Off (Hard Case Crime #101)
  • Death's Dark Abyss
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Quarry in the Middle (Quarry #9)
  • Casino Moon (Hard Case Crime #55)
  • The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2)
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Recoil
  • Fifty-to-One (Hard Case Crime #50)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)