Start by marking “Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture” as Want to Read:
Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture

Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Movie audiences seem drawn, almost compelled, toward tales of the horrific and the repulsive. Partly because horror continues to evolve radically--every time the genre is deemed dead, it seems to come up with another twist--it has been one of the most often-dissected genres. Here, author Kendall Phillips selects ten of the most popular and influential horror films--includi ...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2005 by Praeger (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Projected Fears, please sign up.

Steve Subrizi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Bryan
This is an excellent criticism of popular horror films by an damn good film scholar. What makes this book special is not only that it is talking about cool movies, but also that it remarkably accessibly to a wide variety of audience. You don't have to get a Ph.D from Penn State in Rhetorical Studies to understand how Phillips shows that these films resonate with particular cultural circumstances in the times of their release.
Jason
I really enjoyed this book. I love the subject, I love the clear, concise writing and organization, and I love 8 of the 10 films discussed.

I would like to highly recommend this book especially to anyone who has ever asked me "how can you watch that crap" or "why would anyone WANT to be frightened?" Just like the creatures and killers that haunt their celluloid - horror films are not always what they seem.

And as much as a horror movie aficionado and fan I may be, I still learned a lot from this
Lyric
A fascinating revelation of the fears that haunt American society. I have a better understanding of myself, my parents, my grandparents and American culture. Every film history class should read this book.
Amanda
More analytical than i wanted to read. If i was doing an essay though i would highly recommend it.
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jamie Z.
Jamie Z. marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Steve Subrizi
Steve Subrizi is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Ryan Newman
Ryan Newman marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Aage
Aage added it
Jun 14, 2015
Steven Shinder
Steven Shinder marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Hannah Roeleveld
Hannah Roeleveld marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Bijan
Bijan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Samantha Ziemba
Samantha Ziemba marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Kyle
Kyle is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Jinu Thomas
Jinu Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Robin Hudson
Robin Hudson marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dark Directions: Romero, Craven, Carpenter, and the Modern Horror Film Framing Public Memory Global Memoryscapes: Contesting Remembrance in a Transnational Age Testing Controversy: A Rhetoric of Educational Reform Controversial Cinema: The Films That Outraged America