Start by marking “Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture” as Want to Read:
Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture

Projected Fears: Horror Films and American Culture

Movie audiences seem drawn, almost compelled, toward tales of the horrific and the repulsive. Partly because horror continues to evolve radically--every time the genre is deemed dead, it seems to come up with another twist--it has been one of the most often-dissected genres. Here, author Kendall Phillips selects ten of the most popular and influential horror films--includi ...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2005 by Praeger (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Projected Fears, please sign up.

Steve Subrizi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Bryan
Jul 12, 2008 Bryan rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent criticism of popular horror films by an damn good film scholar. What makes this book special is not only that it is talking about cool movies, but also that it remarkably accessibly to a wide variety of audience. You don't have to get a Ph.D from Penn State in Rhetorical Studies to understand how Phillips shows that these films resonate with particular cultural circumstances in the times of their release.
Jason
Feb 20, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I love the subject, I love the clear, concise writing and organization, and I love 8 of the 10 films discussed.

I would like to highly recommend this book especially to anyone who has ever asked me "how can you watch that crap" or "why would anyone WANT to be frightened?" Just like the creatures and killers that haunt their celluloid - horror films are not always what they seem.

And as much as a horror movie aficionado and fan I may be, I still learned a lot from this
Steve Wiggins
Sep 09, 2016 Steve Wiggins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It may seem like horror movies have been around forever, but they have a surprisingly short history. While Phillips does not pretend to be comprehensive (he chooses ten films on which to focus) he covers the history surprisingly well. Some would, of course, suggest substitutes for his choices of movies, but each is, in its own way, a classic of cinema in the field. I am glad to see that academics are coming to the point that they can address "low brow" culture seriously. Horror films are frequen ...more
Lyric
Jun 18, 2011 Lyric rated it it was amazing
A fascinating revelation of the fears that haunt American society. I have a better understanding of myself, my parents, my grandparents and American culture. Every film history class should read this book.
Jacqueline Goldman
Jan 19, 2016 Jacqueline Goldman rated it it was amazing
Such a fascinating read! I'm now watching each movie as I move through the chapters and I highly recommend it. Interesting to watch how the horror genre evolved.
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2009
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Stephen  Eiffler
Stephen Eiffler rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Ben Cela
Ben Cela rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Steven  Jones
Steven Jones rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Amedeo
Amedeo rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Raymond
Raymond rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Mindy
Mindy rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Jess M
Jess M rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Deni
Deni rated it liked it
May 24, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Marc Pigeon
Marc Pigeon rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Shyla
Shyla rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Josh Obershaw
Josh Obershaw rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2007
Haneen Al-Ghabra
Haneen Al-Ghabra rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Thinking Horror
Thinking Horror rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Jonas Nilsson
Jonas Nilsson rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Steve Subrizi
Steve Subrizi rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015