Quiet Loud

Quiet Loud

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Whether you read it quietly or loudly, learning about opposites has never been more fun - or funny - than with this winning board book.

Sniffles are quiet, but sneezes are loud. Amiably illustrated in a bright, graphic style, Leslie Patricelli’s spirited board book, QUIET LOUD, stars an obliging, bald, and very expressive toddler who acts out each pair of opposites with com...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 15th 2003 by Candlewick

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
273rd out of 285 books — 122 voters
Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHow I Became a Pirate by Melinda LongAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
35th out of 81 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Philip
I've read a bunch of Leslie Patricelli books. My kids love them - especially Yummy Yucky.

I read Quiet Loud for the first time a few seconds ago. Man... when my kids are loud, they're not only loud, but really screechy. My ears are ringing. Seriously. I already have tinnitus, and this book definitely did NOT help that, but it was a blast reading.
Kiera Turner
Cute book! I would read this book to a
Toddler group or a young preschool age group. Great way to introduce opposites and new vocabulary!
Antonia
This book is a really great book to introduce to young children in order to teach them inside-voice and outside-voice. The quiet sounds in this book could easily be transformed into inside talk. Also, it would be a great large group or transition activity. During large group you could use this book to get the children to get calm or excited. During transition you could use it to do the count down. You could use different voices and sound effects to keep their attention.
Sharena
Jul 11, 2011 Sharena added it
Shelves: school, language
This was a simple and easy read. I loved how it talked about what things are quiet and what things are loud. This would be a great book to read before having a class discussion about when it is appropriate to be loud or quiet.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 7/19/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 4/20/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 9/14/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 11/8/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 11/8/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 5/9/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 5/1...more
Asalyn Holliday
Jul 15, 2014 Asalyn Holliday added it
Shelves: vocab
This book is really cute. I think it would be a good way of leading into a discussion about when it's appropriate to be quiet and when it's okay to be loud. This book would also be good for talking about opposites and would provide good vocabulary to add to a word wall.
Meghan
I saw this on someone else's book list and it brought back fabulous memories of reading this (and the others in the series) to the boys when they were little. The illustrations are simple but fabulous and use bright colors. The opposites used are different than what appears in most opposite books and they relate to kids's every day (mom's shoes are loud or mud pie is yucky). I am a bit bummed I can't grab mine off the shelf and make the boys read them with me right now as I passed them on to a c...more
Vicki
I used this fun book for Tiny Tots class. I used to different sets of magnetic letters, the smaller for the word quiet and the larger set for the word loud and put them on a magnetic board. I explained which words meant what to the group. As I read the book, I pointed to the word and the older children in this group seemed to grasp this concept. You could talk about oppposites or gather a supply of props that fall into this theme (there is actually a list at the back of the book)and reinforce th...more
Melina Kinder
Very cute. My daughter really liked all the examples they used
Tiffanie
Fun to read! Easy for kids to "read".
Wendy
Nice book contrasting quiet and loud things and activities. I imagine what you get out of it has a lot to do with what you put into it while reading: going from whispers to LOUD voices for optimum effect! Fun to read and cute pictures too, especially the thinking one. :) My only criticism is that we have a bird that falls on the loud side of the list... though he's still quieter than an airplane so I guess what the book says will work in our house.
Amy Carr
This series of books by Leslie Patricelli is one of my all time favorites. I own as many as I've been able to get my hands on. They are board books and are just as hilarious for a one year old as an 8 year old. Especially if the 8 year old is reading it to the 1-year old. I can't recommend this books enough! Love the illustrations, the presentation of concepts, the potential for "listener" participation, and all the giggles they produce!
Maureen
The board book is useful to help teach babies and toddlers the difference between quiet and loud. The book provides several examples of fun quiet and loud activities, animals, and places. The pictures are simple, go with the words on each page, and show a baby completing each quiet or loud activity. Each page contains one brief sentence with one page for a quiet activity and the facing page for a complimentary loud activity.
Tonia Holloway
I would use this book, in conjugation with many other books, that talk about comparisons. This is a great book to have the kids join in with. I would stop frequently in the book, having the kids give example of other things that are loud, quiet, etc. I would read the story, giving kids roles, such as susan reading the loud line, bob reading the quiet line, ashley being reading/acting out the small line, etc.
Brittany Long
This cute board book would be an excellent tool for introducing opposites. You could pair this book with a writing activity where the students are given a pair of opposite words that they have to use in a sentence and illustrate. Once the activity is done, the teacher can put all the pages together and make a class book to use as another read aloud and then be placed on the book shelf for student access.
Deserae
In class we read this book and a very interesting connection was made this book represented opposites and while reading the book this did not cross my mind but when it was said I thought this is true and fun activity that was brought was having students make their own book of opposites whether it be hot col, big little, etc and this is an activity that I will do with my students.
jacky
I interlibrary loaned this in hopes that it would help Natalie with her volume control. She loves the baby in these books. This one wasn't as fun as some of the other books with this character. Natalie never really laughed or got into talking about the pictures. It also wasn't quite what we needed for teaching her not to yell at story time or while William is sleeping.
Jessica
This book goes through different things that are quiet and loud. It is a good story to talk about opposites. It can also be used to talk about quiet time activities. You can use it to talk about what we can do when we need to be quiet and what kinds of things we can do when we can be loud. The illustrations and words and simple and can keep a toddlers attention.
Kendra
This book seems dated to me even though it was published in 2003. A lot of mommies (probably most in my part of the world) do not wear noisy shoes and libraries aren't really quiet any more (at least not in the kids areas). While I like the opposites aspect of the book it's probably not one I would share in storytime, aside from having it out for babies to enjoy.
Meredith
The Baby with his typical exuberance demonstrates activities that are both quiet and loud. This is an excellent book to teach children the difference between appropriate inside and outside behaviour and what is the correct volume level for particular activities. It also shows opposites.

The illustrations are done with bold lines and bright colors.
Latise
This is a great book to use when teaching students about opposites; it can be used when teaching students on how to compare items and determining the differences between them. Students can also create their own Quiet LOUD books in class; once completed the class can participate in an active read aloud where they can act out the opposites in their book.
Thu Nguyen
This is a good book to teach opposite concepts. Children can also read it with me. They can make the sounds along with the book. They can come up with their own Quiet LOUD things. I can use this book to kick off teaching about other opposite concepts, such as hot/ cold, small/ big, up/ down, etc.
Illustrations are so cute, easy to follow.
Thomasin
A book in Spanish that I kind of mostly know what it says and how to pronounce the words!

Very cute, simple, nice colors. Uses singular and plural amounts as well as male and female words so is a good review of appropriate word endings.

Plus, a nice listing of quiet and loud things at the end of the book, for vocab.
Peanut
MOMMY: Peanut loves to read this with daddy because they are especially loud during the loud parts. It's a fun book for both of them.

PEANUT: He loves the whispering and the eventual yelling involved in this book. We love the mischievous look he gets during the loud parts and the secretive look during the quiet.
Dominique St-pierre
If you haven't read this to the little people in your life...find it now and read it. It's so much fun and a great way to talk about things that are quiet, things that are loud, when it's necessary to be Quiet and when it's appropriate to be LOUD. Have a blast (LOUD) talking about things are quiet and loud.
Danielle
This book can be a lot of fun reading to the little ones. The facilitator must make sure that they really put the sound effects to use when describing the quiet and loud things so that the children really understand the concept. Great discussions can come from the book as well as interactions from the children.
Katie
Jul 07, 2011 Katie added it
Shelves: culture
quiet loud is a good book to help emphasize some american culutral expectations, and could also be viewed as a way to introduce some classroom rules. I thought that maybe after reading a book the students and teacher could make a list of places to be quiet and then another list of places to be loud!
Alexandra Chauran
I get compliments on how quiet my kids are when they talk and play most of the time. I feel like they need examples of what is quiet talking and what is loud. This book is a good practice book if you read each page in the appropriate volume.
Melissa
Apr 01, 2009 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
My three-month-old son absolutely LOVES this book. He actually looks at the pictures and giggles when it is read to him. I could read it over and over and it never gets old to him. I can't wait for him to read more of her books.
Kristen
Oct 13, 2009 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: baby
O and I can't get enough of Leslie Patricelli's books. Plus, it's time for hime to start learning quiet v. loud so that we can behave more like a gentleman in public. He's already caught on after less than 10 readings.
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Skippyjon Jones: Up and Down
  • Daddy Kisses
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ani...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...
Yummy Yucky Higher! Higher! No No Yes Yes Potty Big Little