Start by marking “Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor His Life and Music” as Want to Read:
Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor His Life and Music

Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor His Life and Music

In this major biography, the late Timothy White explores both the career and the troubled personal journey of the legendary singer-songwriter James Taylor. Dispelling myth and rumour, Long Ago and Far Away examines the roots of Taylor’s mental anguish and his recurring battles with heroin and alcohol. This is an epic family history, an exploration of the real stories behin ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Omnibus Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Long Ago and Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Ago and Far Away

John
OK. Let me be honest.

I love James Taylor, his music and his anecdotes. I met him once at a concert when he came down into the audience during an interval.
Being a song nerd I adored the details regarding the origins of songs and the contemporary history.

However, I am not sure that I needed to know about the family history. I cannot see how it really adds anything to rest of the biography, as interesting as it was.

I believe that the title of the book should include a reference to his family histo
Barbara Oconnor
White spent a bunch of time on the details.. It would be very interesting to anyone who likes to know the origin of each song, what stage of his life it was written in.It was way more than I could take in, but interesting to hear who he hung with over the years (the Beatles, Paul Simon, Belushi).
Kathy Lea
May 04, 2012 Kathy Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am crazy about James Taylor and began this read eagerly. The first 70 or so pages are dedicated to family history......I mean history. Back 200 years and more. Interesting to a degree. But, I bought the book to read about James the musician. There was a lot of info that could probably be gleaned from album jackets. And the e-book did not include the photos and maps. The latter would have made the lengthy history more interesting. Still, even with those criticisms I loved this book. Though I pu ...more
Tina Schumann
Feb 27, 2016 Tina Schumann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A biography of great depth (sometimes a bit too much historical detail) regarding JT and the Taylor clan. Timothy White and JT were friends and that love and respect shines through. Each chapter title is the title of a JT album. The retrospective approach to the narrative really took me back as well. Like all humans, JT is a complicated, layered personality, but his talent is true and his intellect wide. Timothy White was an exceptional writer and music historian who we lost too soon.
Nicole
Jul 03, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed! Heavy on the details about his music. Good amount of old family history, but could have used a bit more about him. Felt like his mental illness and relationships were just glossed over, although there was a lot about his strained relationship w his father. In any case, glad I read it.
Giff Zimmerman
The parts of this book that are actually about James or his life or music, are pretty good, and worth reading. But at least half of this book is spent wandering maddeningly into distant irrelevancies. So ultimately it was a disappointment. I love James' music, and he is a fascinating character; but after reading this book I still hunger to know more about him, and particularly his music.
Neil Denham
Sep 27, 2013 Neil Denham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly the author was more interested in Taylors ancestry rather than his life. By the time james was born I had lost some patience with the book, then parts of his life are skipped over in just a few paragraphs. His life post 1984 is hardly dealt with at all.
Vikki
May 14, 2010 Vikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is James Taylor's biography! It was so very good. The author was the editor of Billboard etc. There was so much about music. I read this until 3:45 am one Saturday night. (not like me at all)
Ken Shelton
May 16, 2012 Ken Shelton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about JT
Marsha
Jul 13, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for JT fans. It gets a little....ok, a lot...gradiose at times. But it's fun to put good music in the context of what was happening in the artist's life at the time.
Jenna
Jan 05, 2010 Jenna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love him, so I would like to know more about him.
Joel
Joel rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2012
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2009
Leslie Reinhart
Leslie Reinhart rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2011
john t cole
john t cole rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2017
Kathy Ryfa
Kathy Ryfa rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Haew Kt
Haew Kt rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Donald Gibson
Donald Gibson rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2007
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Robert A. Rothstein
Robert A. Rothstein rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Jack Mezzetti
Jack Mezzetti rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Melinda Hogan
Melinda Hogan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Megan Benson
Megan Benson rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2009
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
  • The Terrible Speed of Mercy: A Spiritual Biography of Flannery O'Connor
  • When That Rough God Goes Riding: Listening to Van Morrison
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones
  • A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks
  • This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century
  • Hardcore Troubadour: The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle