Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor His Life and Music

Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor His Life and Music

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this major biography, the late Timothy White explores both the career and the troubled personal journey of the legendary singer-songwriter James Taylor. Dispelling myth and rumour, Long Ago and Far Away examines the roots of Taylor’s mental anguish and his recurring battles with heroin and alcohol. This is an epic family history, an exploration of the real stories behin...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Omnibus Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Long Ago and Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Ago and Far Away

John
OK. Let me be honest.

I love James Taylor, his music and his anecdotes. I met him once at a concert when he came down into the audience during an interval.
Being a song nerd I adored the details regarding the origins of songs and the contemporary history.

However, I am not sure that I needed to know about the family history. I cannot see how it really adds anything to rest of the biography, as interesting as it was.

I believe that the title of the book should include a reference to his family histo...more
Kathy Lea
I am crazy about James Taylor and began this read eagerly. The first 70 or so pages are dedicated to family history......I mean history. Back 200 years and more. Interesting to a degree. But, I bought the book to read about James the musician. There was a lot of info that could probably be gleaned from album jackets. And the e-book did not include the photos and maps. The latter would have made the lengthy history more interesting. Still, even with those criticisms I loved this book. Though I pu...more
Nicole
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed! Heavy on the details about his music. Good amount of old family history, but could have used a bit more about him. Felt like his mental illness and relationships were just glossed over, although there was a lot about his strained relationship w his father. In any case, glad I read it.
Barbara Oconnor
White spent a bunch of time on the details.. It would be very interesting to anyone who likes to know the origin of each song, what stage of his life it was written in.It was way more than I could take in, but interesting to hear who he hung with over the years (the Beatles, Paul Simon, Belushi).
Neil Denham
Sadly the author was more interested in Taylors ancestry rather than his life. By the time james was born I had lost some patience with the book, then parts of his life are skipped over in just a few paragraphs. His life post 1984 is hardly dealt with at all.
Vikki
This is James Taylor's biography! It was so very good. The author was the editor of Billboard etc. There was so much about music. I read this until 3:45 am one Saturday night. (not like me at all)
Marsha
A great read for JT fans. It gets a little....ok, a lot...gradiose at times. But it's fun to put good music in the context of what was happening in the artist's life at the time.
Jenna
Jan 05, 2010 Jenna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love him, so I would like to know more about him.
Mark Spencer
Mar 04, 2013 Mark Spencer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
not impressed, tho like james taylor
Shana Lewis
Shana Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 13, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jamie Sabo
Jamie Sabo marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Gwingooo
Gwingooo marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Paul Read
Paul Read marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience Hollywood Pinups Music to My Ears: The Billboard Essays, 1992-1996: Profiles of Popular Music in the '90s Rock Lives: Profiles and Interviews