Start by marking “A Pipkin of Pepper” as Want to Read:
A Pipkin of Pepper

A Pipkin of Pepper

A companion to the best-selling Pumpkin Soup
Duck, Cat, and Squirrel, the three animal friends from Pumpkin Soup, are out of salt, a key ingredient of their special recipe. Duck insists upon coming along with Cat and Squirrel on the shopping trip to the city. It’s his first visit, and he’s a little scared, but he forgets everything when he spots a pepper store. What if th
Published September 6th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Pipkin of Pepper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pipkin of Pepper

Mathew
Having not got on as well with Pumpkin Soup, Kerrie Dunn-Christensen (thanks Kerrie!) advised me to read this sequel and it's far superior in every way. Although the story, on the surface, is a simple one of going to the city to fetch some salt, it deals with early childhood fears such as getting lost and feeling out of place as well as the imposing nature of big placed and feeling small. Although there isn't much in terms of characterisation around Cat and Squirrel (or perhaps there is through ...more
Kathryn
Nov 22, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
I didn't like this one quite as much as "Pumpkin Soup" as I found it more than a little annoying that Duck wants to come to town, is told he had better not because he will get lost, but he pleads and assures he will pay attention so he is allowed to come--but, you guessed it, he gets lost and causes lots of fuss. Hrm. Still, the illustrations are absolutely adorable! :-)
Crystal Marcos
Dec 03, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it liked it
The second book in the series of “Pumpkin Soup” was delightful enough to make me want to continue reading the series. The illustrations were like the first; beautiful and vivid. I especially liked the city which reminded me about my first New York City experience at Christmas time. I held my now husband’s hand continuously that trip, because I didn’t want to be separated and get lost. The story was a bit predictable. Duck promises not to get lost in the city with Cat and Squirrel and Duck gets ...more
Maryam Fiaz
Nov 04, 2015 Maryam Fiaz rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book... The sequel to pumpkin soup follows the three friends again as they go off to the big city to get some salt. But whenever duck is around you know something is bound to happen!! A very enjoyable book especially read to younger children.
Ellie
Nov 02, 2016 Ellie rated it really liked it
It was while he was perusing the stacks last week that the jewel, “A Pipkin of Pepper-for the pumpkin soup”, caught my eye. After a quick glance, I thought it would be a perfect companion book for “Stone Soup”.

The premise of the book seemed simple enough. Three friends live in a small cabin in the country and are making soup. They are missing a key ingredient to make it the”best you ever tasted”, and must go to town to buy salt. In my head I am thinking; friends plus soup…Perfect! And it was, m
Jon Saunders
Oct 04, 2011 Jon Saunders rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A cautionary tale of what to do if you get lost in the big city. This is the fabulous tale of Duck, Cat and Squirrel who head to the big city to get some salt for their pumpkin soup. After spotting a pepper shop and daydreaming about how tasty it will make the soup Duck gets horribly lost. How will he ever find Cat & Squirrel? And how will they ever find him?

This book is beautifully illustrated in rich warm colours and has an inventive layout that helps to bring the story to life. There is a
Lea
A Pipkin of Pepper was a bit of a disappointment in comparison to Ms. Cooper's prior book Pumpkin Soup, which features the same characters. Although there are lovely illustrations of our beloved Duck, Cat and Squirrel, the arc of the story line is not as poetic and graceful and the lay out of the text and pictures is much more scattered with the overall effect being of a book that is much more disjointed and less satisfying to read. My four year old does still love calling out "a pipkin of ...more
Marek
Mar 20, 2013 Marek rated it really liked it
Cat, Squirrel and Duck find themselves without a main component of their pumpkin soup and must visit the city to get more, but Duck has never been to the city and the other two are worried that if he goes he'll get lost. After some convincing, Duck finds himself in the city with Cat and Squirrel, but not without some hiccups along the way.

The illustrations are so fun and I love how the text and illustrations are integrated together on some of the pages.
Heidi-Marie
The sequel to "Pumpkin Soup." Just as cute. This time we're taken to the big city. I love all the hints at food and spices, especially the enticements of pepper everywhere. Hilarious! I especially liked the whole salt and pepper thing because when I was little I used to think that the two were meant to be on equally. It's a good think I love both! The pictures were just as great with even more detail for interested eyes to follow. Would still work for a story time as well.
Asho
Dec 02, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it
I am so charmed by the illustrations in Helen Cooper's books. My favorite detail in this one is the Mother Hen pushing a stroller with a baby chick and a half-hatched egg. The illustrations are definitely the highlight and it's fun to leisurely page through this book to see all of the details that add humor to the text. I'll have to remember to come back to these ones when my son is old enough to appreciate clever illustrations.
ESF Tsing Yi
A glorious sequel to the classic Pumpkin Soup, and A Pipkin of Pepper does not disappoint. This time, Duck wants to come along to the city, and of course, he gets lost along the way. More adorable illustrations, and friends finding solutions to problems. Marvelous!
Diane
Oct 25, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
When the animals run out of salt for their pumpkin soup, Cat, Duck and Squirrel head to the big city to buy more. But Duck, interested int he Pepper Shop, gets separated from Cat and Squirrel. LOST! He's sure he'll never see his friends again. But with the help of a new friend, the three are reunited and head home to finish their soup.

Love the illustrations.
Crystal
Jan 22, 2011 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
While making pumpkin soup, the three friends have run out of salt. They take a trip to the city, and Duck gets lost. This is a wonderful follow-up to Pumpkin Soup. The illustrations are just as beautiful and vibrant, and add to the story in wonderful ways. The only thing missing was a recipe for pumpkin soup!
Dolly
Nov 30, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the third book in a series about three friends who like to make soup. This story branches off and takes them on a trip to the city to replenish their salt supply. It's an entertaining story and has a good lesson on what to do if you get lost, but it was our least favorite of the three.
Virginia
Jul 13, 2008 Virginia rated it liked it
Fun book, but not my favorite. Not my daughter's either. I think there's too much happening on each page for her tastes.

Kathryn
Mar 22, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I just love this series of books. A fast paced story that has a lesson to be learned about friendship and the illustrations are worth framing. Absolutely adorable through and through.
Larry Ratcliffe
Another great tale of need, loss, culinary delights and love with a great benevolent cop intervention at the end.
R
Sep 10, 2015 R rated it it was amazing
A lovely follow on from 'Pumpkin Soup'. Another glorious read. These books always make me want to make pumpkin soup!!!
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Fox
Fox rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Helena
Helena rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Dawn Quixote
Dawn Quixote rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Katey Thompson
Katey Thompson rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2011
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Little Pig Joins the Band
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • A Bear and His Boy
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • One Winter's Day
  • A Job for Wittilda
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • One Pup's Up
  • I Am Small
  • The Umbrella
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See here for more details
More about Helen Cooper...