Start by marking “The Twin Giants” as Want to Read:
The Twin Giants

The Twin Giants

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When twin giants set out in search of happiness, the result is a comedy of errors that is doubly clever and enormously funny.

"Isn’t he e-nor-mous!" says the giant father when his first twin son is born. "There’s a-lot-uv-’im!" notes the giant mother when the second twin boy arrives. And as Normus (a vegetarian) and Lottavim (a carnivore) grow and grow, the two are hugely h
Published June 10th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Twin Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twin Giants

Stuart

The Twin Giants by Dick King-Smith has some fantastic illustrations but unfortunately a rather thin plot. In short the story is about two twins that set off to find wives, their relationship and the people they encounter along the way.

To demonstrate the fact that twins look the same but are different people one of the giants is a meat eater and the other is a vegetarian. This short summary is close to the full story but the illustrations really carry the book. This is a bit of a shame because wi
Carissa
Twin giants go hunting for the perfect wives. This one had some rather "adult" plot lines (going to find a wife, for instance) that I'm not sure kids can relate to and i'm not certain how i feel about furthering the notion of "love at first sight" but then again, i'm a huge fan of fairytales, so perhaps i'm being hypocritical. This story was funny, had colorful and entertaining illustrations and was a good introduction to classic fairytale structure.
Gaby
A nice tale about two twin giants out to find wives. A quick pleasant read. I found that I enjoyed the illustrations most as they were expressive yet simple. Would suit grades 2-4. A brief read aloud option.
Gwen the Librarian
There once lived twin giant brothers, Lottavim and Normus. They had a happy live on their mountainside, but soon grew older and wanted to find wives. Of course, they wanted giant wives, and so they had to go out on a quest to find pretty giants living on other mountains. The problem with looking for wives together? Whenever they found one giantess, they would BOTH propose to her! Soon the brothers had to split up. Would they ever find wives? Could they live happily ever after? Find out in this f ...more
heather
I like the look of the book. Size, font etc. the story is simple, although not sure why kids would care about giants looking for wives.but hey isn't that what most fairy tales are about?
*Queen Diva*
I checked this book out at the library to see if it was a book I could read at school. It's always a happy occasion when I find that it is a book that I can actually use at school. It's even better when its a book I actually enjoyed myself.

The storyline is very cute (if not predictable) with very fun illustrations. The large font with big spaces makes the book seem less daunting to children.

Happy to add this to my "to use at school" pile.
Carmine
Dec 23, 2008 Carmine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early independant readers
Sherry
Dick King-Smith's "The Twin Giants", illustrated by Mini Grey, is a delight for the eyes. Colorful, larger than life, and cheerfully drawn characters and scenery make this simple chapter book a success. I am less impressed with the storyline, wanting something more, but young children, impressed by all things twin, will find it interesting. King-Smith is the author of "Babe: The Gallant Pig". For readers aged 5-8.
Heather Richard
Illustrations = fantastic. The story = not great for a feminist mother of twins. My twins liked it enough to leave their own books and join their little brother while I was reading it aloud to them. I love the notion of seven mountains, but the lessons about "love" are ridiculous. So glad I used a library card rather than a credit card for this one.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was an ok story about 2 giant brothers and their quest to find wives. It wasn't the usual Dick King-Smith animal story. I enjoyed the cute, humorous illustrations by Mini Grey, actually, better than I did the story. Not one of his best, but nice.
Susan P
Cute. Good for younger readers. Twin giants decide to go look for wives - and happen to find a beautiful pair of twin sisters to marry them. Whimsical illustrations make this book a fun read.
Tobinsfavorite
This book is short and sweet, and I liked it. The illustrations are friendly. I'd say this is either an early reader or read-to-nonreader book. Fortuitously, I have one of each of those.
Fun early chapter book! Also a great read aloud with many opportunities for a young listener to speculate on what happens next.
JoDean
I like Dick King-Smith's writing style and clever story lines. The illustrations are fun.
Ben
I did not like it that much, as I did not find it exciting.
Chris
A sweet little tale with nice pictures.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg