Start by marking “The Twin Giants” as Want to Read:
The Twin Giants

The Twin Giants

When twin giants set out in search of happiness, the result is a comedy of errors that is doubly clever and enormously funny.

"Isn’t he e-nor-mous!" says the giant father when his first twin son is born. "There’s a-lot-uv-’im!" notes the giant mother when the second twin boy arrives. And as Normus (a vegetarian) and Lottavim (a carnivore) grow and grow, the two are hugely h
Published June 10th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Twin Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twin Giants

Stuart
Sep 16, 2011 Stuart rated it it was ok

The Twin Giants by Dick King-Smith has some fantastic illustrations but unfortunately a rather thin plot. In short the story is about two twins that set off to find wives, their relationship and the people they encounter along the way.

To demonstrate the fact that twins look the same but are different people one of the giants is a meat eater and the other is a vegetarian. This short summary is close to the full story but the illustrations really carry the book. This is a bit of a shame because wi
Carissa
May 15, 2013 Carissa rated it liked it
Twin giants go hunting for the perfect wives. This one had some rather "adult" plot lines (going to find a wife, for instance) that I'm not sure kids can relate to and i'm not certain how i feel about furthering the notion of "love at first sight" but then again, i'm a huge fan of fairytales, so perhaps i'm being hypocritical. This story was funny, had colorful and entertaining illustrations and was a good introduction to classic fairytale structure.
heather
Oct 08, 2014 heather rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2014-reads
I like the look of the book. Size, font etc. the story is simple, although not sure why kids would care about giants looking for wives.but hey isn't that what most fairy tales are about?
Hannah Grosse
Sep 03, 2016 Hannah Grosse rated it really liked it
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 05, 2008 Gwen the Librarian rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit, fairy-tale
There once lived twin giant brothers, Lottavim and Normus. They had a happy live on their mountainside, but soon grew older and wanted to find wives. Of course, they wanted giant wives, and so they had to go out on a quest to find pretty giants living on other mountains. The problem with looking for wives together? Whenever they found one giantess, they would BOTH propose to her! Soon the brothers had to split up. Would they ever find wives? Could they live happily ever after? Find out in this f ...more
Carmine
Dec 23, 2008 Carmine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: early independant readers
Miss Ryoko
I checked this book out at the library to see if it was a book I could read at school. It's always a happy occasion when I find that it is a book that I can actually use at school. It's even better when its a book I actually enjoyed myself.

The storyline is very cute (if not predictable) with very fun illustrations. The large font with big spaces makes the book seem less daunting to children.

Happy to add this to my "to use at school" pile.
Sherry
Dick King-Smith's "The Twin Giants", illustrated by Mini Grey, is a delight for the eyes. Colorful, larger than life, and cheerfully drawn characters and scenery make this simple chapter book a success. I am less impressed with the storyline, wanting something more, but young children, impressed by all things twin, will find it interesting. King-Smith is the author of "Babe: The Gallant Pig". For readers aged 5-8.
Heather Richard
Mar 11, 2012 Heather Richard rated it it was ok
Illustrations = fantastic. The story = not great for a feminist mother of twins. My twins liked it enough to leave their own books and join their little brother while I was reading it aloud to them. I love the notion of seven mountains, but the lessons about "love" are ridiculous. So glad I used a library card rather than a credit card for this one.
A
J Story of twin giants who are looking for wives. They do giant things like, play giant games, give giant hugs, etc. The giantess wives they find turn out to be twins, and they have twin giant babies. All very predictable, but fun read for a beginning reader (has approximately 3 chapters, larger print, widely spaced - like an easy reader). Also very fun pictures.
Alexandria Hiam
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 04, 2017 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was ok
Much as I like Dick King-Smith, this one doesn't do much for me. That being said, the illustrations are delightful, but the story leaves something to be desired.
Gaby
Apr 09, 2014 Gaby rated it liked it
A nice tale about two twin giants out to find wives. A quick pleasant read. I found that I enjoyed the illustrations most as they were expressive yet simple. Would suit grades 2-4. A brief read aloud option.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was an ok story about 2 giant brothers and their quest to find wives. It wasn't the usual Dick King-Smith animal story. I enjoyed the cute, humorous illustrations by Mini Grey, actually, better than I did the story. Not one of his best, but nice.
Susan  Dunn
Nov 16, 2008 Susan Dunn rated it liked it
Cute. Good for younger readers. Twin giants decide to go look for wives - and happen to find a beautiful pair of twin sisters to marry them. Whimsical illustrations make this book a fun read.
Richard
Mar 23, 2016 Richard rated it did not like it
Really repetitive and boring. Writing every sentence twice, just because it's about twins isn't clever, it's just annoying and lazy writing. Avoid at all costs!
Mar 13, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Fun early chapter book! Also a great read aloud with many opportunities for a young listener to speculate on what happens next.
Judy
Well that was such a quirky little read. I think this would be a lottafun for reading aloud or for newly independent readers to tackle on their own.
JoDean
Dec 11, 2008 JoDean rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
I like Dick King-Smith's writing style and clever story lines. The illustrations are fun.
Chris
Dec 14, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
A sweet little tale with nice pictures.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A somewhat long story about a pair of twin giant boys and their quest to find wives.

Mini Grey (of Traction Man fame) did the illustrations and they are delightful.
Tobinsfavorite
Dec 30, 2011 Tobinsfavorite rated it liked it
This book is short and sweet, and I liked it. The illustrations are friendly. I'd say this is either an early reader or read-to-nonreader book. Fortuitously, I have one of each of those.
Debbie Williams
Jul 29, 2016 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
fun quick read from the master story teller. would suit middle primary students who are exploring chapter books.
Wilde Sky
May 29, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
Two giants search for wives.

Reasonable story for children - some of the illustrations were good.
Maria Francescon
Maria Francescon rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Emyrose8
Emyrose8 rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2011
May
May rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
melanie (lit*chick)
melanie (lit*chick) rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Clara Brooklyn
Clara Brooklyn rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...