Love In Vein: Twenty Original Tales of Vampiric Erotica

Love In Vein: Twenty Original Tales of Vampiric Erotica

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,897 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A collection of nineteen fantasy tales combines vampire lore with erotic seduction, in a dark celebration in which the main characters are overcome by their needs for fulfillment. By the author of Lost Souls.
Published November 1st 1994 by HarperCollins

Ungelic_is_us
Nick
My favorite stories in this collection of “vampire erotica” include Gene Wolfe’s “Queen of the Night,” a retelling of the Celtic myth of changelings from a boy’s POV who has been abducted by the dark fairies and lived with them for 9 years; on his return to the “real” world he is initiated into sexuality by the dark fairie queen in excruciatingly painful vampiric fashion. Wolfe tells the story with his usual reverence for character and the general paranoic feeling of the protagonist that he will...more
S.
As with most anthologies, mostly average stories and two or three gems, in my case Geraldine (original vampire anatomy and sweet lesbian love story), White Chapel (Sinister, Sensual and Sick), and A Slow Red Whisper of Sand (Allright, I just love the fact that Dracula's brides are dubbed Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail!)
DoctorM
As erotica, not so good. Too much self-conscious splatterpunk posing, too little actual sex or exploration of vampire sex that goes beyond the tired and overdone. It's only "Cafe Endless: Spring Rain", Nancy Holden's small gem of a story about desire and pain and longing in Japan that saves the collection at all.
Jessica
I remember thinking,where's the erotica?
Oct 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: vampire junkies
I found this book at the library book sale and grabbed it because it had "Poppy Z. Brite" splashed across it and I've been wanted to read her stuff.

But then it said, "Vampire Erotica" and I put it back. I thought about it a bit and said to myself, "Well, it's only $1. What do I have to lose?" I bought this one and "Love in Vein II."

I was pleasantly surprised. Though most of the stories have sex in them, most of them are not erotica in the classic sense. By that I mean, sex isn't the point of the...more
Delicious Strawberry
I'd never read Poppy Z Brite, and this book was recommended to me. Generally, I like anthologies, but this book is a collection of hit-and-miss. Some of the stories are interesting, but many of them do not even have vampires in them, or are just so poorly written that they are hard to read (such as the last story in this collection, which is nonsensical and disjointed) Some of the stories are about psychic vampires - feeding off emotion, or sound, or whatever, but this was a plodding book to get...more
Lauren
I don't know what it is but I just can't get along with short stories. I have trouble writing them, and I have trouble reading them. I always want more, I always want it go somewhere it doesn't have time to go, and most of the time I finish them thinking...'what was the point?'

That said, I did enjoy some of these 'tales of vampire erotica', but many I started and then skipped. I was surprised to see a story from Nancy Holder in here, who I recognised as one of the writers on Buffy (same person,...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
I thought by reading the back cover would give me an idea about what to expect in the book. I also read the introduction by the editor for another idea about what to expect from the book. I gave the book a try and was left wanting to find a better book. I was greatly disappointed in the book being that it's anthology. I only like the first story out of the whole book and the rest of the stories to me just fell flat or were trying to hard. I love a good vampire book but this cannot be called a go...more
Angel
Let me just say that there were some OK stories in this book. Not good, definitely not great, but OK. With that being said , the overall rating I gave this book is still one star because the bad outweighed the good. And I just could not get the second story out of my head the whole time I was reading this. It was a horrible story. I was going to go into a big paragraph as to why I hated it but I think I'll skip that. I love vampire stories and horror stories but obviously these types of stories...more
Allison
I love vampires and all but this book was a little much for me. there were a few good stories but there were also a few really gory ones. Also, this was supposed to be an erotica book... the stories did not have the desired effect. Also, I don't think I'm really a short story fan. I'd finish one and think to myself "huh?" knowing I missed something really important... oh well! It was a cheap buy from half price books!
Lillian
I actually read the 2nd one- Twice Bitten (I think). I bought it guiltily and read it that way too because it is so indulgent and kind of silly. But it was actually really quite satisfying. Not a bunch of sexy vampyre love making and oooh blood this and that, but kind of hot in a gory way. And not just blood vampires, Liliths too, and a Jesus that came down off the cross... really, quite good.
Baal Of
I think that as an author, Poppy Z. Brite is a hack, but as an editor, she's just fine. I enjoyed the weirdness of these stories, and the gory, horror aspects. I don't find this stuff the least bit erotic or arousing. A lot of the stories in here don't really have anything to do with vampires, but that's probably a good thing. The best of these stories are the ones that go far afield.
Karen
I generally try to avoid reading reviews in depth before I dive into a book so I can be surprised and form my own opinion, but I should have skimmed a few more for this one, because it turned out to be much more horror than I have a taste for. I had to stop reading this just before bed, as some of the stories were graphic and intense enough to disturb my sleep.
Oliver
I enjoyed this anthology of vampiric erotica. I liked the range of storytelling involved showing that there is not one position or style involved. I also appreciated the fact that Poppy Z Brite attempted to balance out the book by including stories by women as well as men. All in all a good anthology with some surprises like an erotic story by Charles de Lint.
Helen Damnation
Look carefully. The cover promises "Vampiric Erotica". Unfortunately if you misread it and instead think you are getting Vampire Erotica, you will be disappointed. There is little of the vampire found in this book, and little erotica also.
The tales vary in quality, but none are good enough to make it feel like a worthwhile read.
Ysabel
It was an okay book, not terrible but not great. Some of the writers were a little shoddy and it left me wondering if she had a bad batch to chose from or if she just put them in cos the writers were friends of hers. Overall it was an easy read, some of the stories were erotic but it didn't really live up to the cover blurb.
Elgalla
A good enough anthology; most of the stories were mediocre and there were a few really bad ones. However, there were also some excellent stories as well. Geraldine, The Final Fete of Abba Adi, Cherry, White Chapel, In This Soul of a Woman and Queen of the Night were my favourites among the lot.
Paul Jr.
An uneven mix of Vampirica/vampire erotica edited by Poppy Z. Brite. The stories range from charming to unintelligible with a mix of sexualities In the end, this antho is likely to have a couple stories that will appeal, but just as many that will leave you shaking your head.
Chris Hutchinson
What happens when you pull a number of dark erotic short story writers together. You get this hot little number that is a fun read and keeps you on your toes as you progress through the stories. I am a fan and looked forward to volume 2.
Amy
This is a pretty good collection of vampire "erotica," whatever that means. My favorite story is "A Slow Red Whisper of Sand," by Robert Devereaux, but there are many others in here that I liked.
Kana
Each story in this collection was vibrant and daring for it's timeframe. This book was published long before vampiric erotica became popular, and is still one of my favorites in that genre.
Z
Really not that bad for satanic erotica. I mean some things were disturbing, I can't remember if it was the first or second one but one involved a girl missing an eye and a fly experiment.
Laura Morrigan
A kind of patchy collection. Some of the stories were good, kind of unusual and imaginative, others were neither original nor sexy. Worth a read if you are into vampires.
Jeremy
Great collection of short horror stories by little known and well known authors in the genre.

Definitely worth a read.
Justin
Aww, come on dude, don't use a Skinny Puppy song title as the name of your anthology if you're going to make it crap.
Tay
A great vampire author before all of the current cheesey crap. This is hardcore, this is as twisted as early Ann Rice
Stacey
This is the cover of the edition I had. I lost it in one of my many moves, that makes me sad.
Eva
vampires are erotica, by nature. this book pales in comparison to her others.
  • Hot Blood 1: Tales of Erotic Horror
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • I Shudder at Your Touch
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Silk (Silk, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Daughters of Darkness: Lesbian Vampire Stories
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Charming the Snake
  • Lord Of The Dead
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Dark Dance (Blood Opera Sequence, #1)
  • Bitten: Dark Erotic Stories
  • Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex and Death
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He...more
More about Poppy Z. Brite...
Lost Souls Drawing Blood Exquisite Corpse Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories Liquor

“As never before, he understood the vitality of tradition, the dignity of the worship of what had existed before one's own self had come into being. There was no shame in awe; there was exaltation. (“Cafe Endless: Spring Rain”)” 6 likes