Start by marking “Killing Raven” as Want to Read:
Killing Raven

Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation #9)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The discovery of a white man's body on the Wind River Reservation has Father John O'Malley trying to keep the peace. Meanwhile, the newly opened Great Plains Casino--with Vicky Holden as its in-house counsel--is fighting for its life against an angry group of protesters. And when Vicky stumbles across some disturbing evidence about the murder, she's suddenly caught in a da ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published April 8th 8)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Raven

Ed
#9 in the Wind River series. Fr John O'Malley, pastor of St Francis mission on the Arapaho Wind River Reservation, and Vicky Holden, lawyer are featured.

Wind River series - Fr John O'Malley tries to protect a 15 year old girl who has discovered a body that may be linked to her boyfriend and associates opposing the Indian casino. Vicky Holden has been hired by the casino to assist Lakota lawyer Adam Long Eagle and she quickly becomes aware of, and is endangered by, some unusual hiring and purchas
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I enjoy Margaret Coel's books... it may sound demeaning to say that they are entertaining because there seem to be a lot of people out there reading in order to achieve a higher plane. I read for fun. Margaret manages to keep the pace in her stories steady, the chapters short, the suspense just intriguing enough. She also likes to tackle important issues. This time it's the gambling industry on Indian Reservations.
I enjoy Father O'Malley's company; he is a good pastor in a harsh world and the f
Ryan Mishap
Fairly standard mystery fare, with the hook being that it is set on the Arapaho Reservation and involves an Indian lawyer, Vicky, and a Catholic priest, Father O- Malley (of course he's Irish and had a drinking problem, naturally), who have a bit of history.
The issuse of casinos on reservations being run by outside corporations, corruption, cronyism, and more are brought into the story. A fifteen year old girl sees a hand coming out of the ground at a campground where her older boyfriend is tr
Beth
I began this book several months ago and got bogged down. Despite a rather dramatic start, it was initially difficult to become involved in the lives of the main characters (Vicky, an Arapaho lawyer) and Father John (a priest and member of AA). Their lives are intertwined, they love one another, and yet each of them must follow his/her chosen path. By the middle of the book things sped up considerably, the pace becoming that of a page-turner toward the end. Additionally, the underlying dialogue ...more
Gilbert Baron
Another great tale but again brings a sad truth

In this one a new casino and the questions of possible embezzlement and other cheating of the tribes is investigated. I only wish the Catholic Church could permit priests to marry. This would open a lot of possibilities in this series. Such a sad thing the way women are treated in that organization. Nevertheless it is reasonably handled as always and pushed into the background by the story.
Nancy
Another in the Wind River series. This one opens when a young girl and her abusive boyfriend stumble on the body of a dead man at a remote and dangerous wild location on the rez. The young woman thinks her boyfriend might be involved or at the very least know who committed the murder. Father John is drawn in when he is called to the scene and later when he realizes this will be just the beginning of a tragedy since the victim's wife has sworn revenge. Vicky Holden, Fr. John's long time friend, h ...more
Teresa Thompson Arcangel
I wanted to like this book but it was very boring to me. The characters seemed flat and stereotypical. Perhaps the problem was that this book is #9 in the series, but the first that I listened to. I have some other audio books in the series and I'll give them a try.
Vondraya
Attorney Vicky Holden is suspicious of corruption at a Native American casino, she relies on her friendship with Catholic Priest Father John O'Malley when she isn't sure what's what. She'd like to trust handsome Native American attorney Adam Lone Eagle, but isn't sure she can. An interesting read.

Jeff Dickison
A good Wind River Reservation entry as Vicky & Adam Lone Eagle get hired as lawyers for a crooked Indian casino. Murder is afoot and Father O'Malley must ride to the rescue. Recommended to fans of the series.
Emily Crow
Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden gets more than she bargained for when she is hired to go over contracts for the new casino on the reservation. The pros and cons of Indian casinos are handled well--on the one hand bringing much needed money; on the other, opportunities for gambling addicts and crime. On the whole, I found Killing Raven to be a decent suspense story, though not much of a mystery, as it was pretty clear who the "bad guys" were from the beginning. I would try another book by this author ...more
Sue Covert
Loved the whole series. A good look at reservation life.
Lynne
Enjoyable mystery.
Lane
good story, good read
Fredrick Danysh
A couple find a dead body on the local lover's lane on the Indian reservation. Protesters try to disrupt operaations at the Indian casino while one of the casino commissioners is placing friends and relatives in lucerative jobs. The tribal council has suspisions so attorney Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley investigate.
George
#9 in the Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden Arapaho Wind River Reservation mystery series. The two work together dealing with problems resulting from the establishment of an Indian casino on the reservation. Story line involves murder, possible gaming corruption, and the effects of the casino on local Indians.
Terri
This book is ok as part of a series, but I did not like it as much as the previous book I read from the same series. I found that this book contained less of the Native American culture that made the first novel more unique; it was replaced with a crime story that could have happened almost anywhere.
Betty410
Vicki really got herself in deep trouble and Father John has to come to the rescue. This one is all about the troubles brought on by the Indian gambling casino. And does Vicki have a new relationship?
We will have to wait for the next book.
These stories are fun.
Margot
Anyone who likes mysteries in the native American genre should enjoy this author. We enjoy learning about the culture of these tribes, and have almost all of her books. I'll add the other titles as I have time.
Jaci
Margaret Coel has written such a wide-range of work, from nonfiction about railroads to the Father O'Malley series (Wind River). This one was fast moving with a great plot...excellent for airplane rides.
Mary
Good, but too much to the formula of Coel's books. Then there is the constant undercurrent of illicit love, which adds nothing except a little tabloid tease. Not worthy of the overall context.
Steven Howes
Another fun read. I like this series of books because they contain a little bit of Arapaho history and culture and the workings of the catholic church as well as a good murder mystery.
June
I read this quickly, but it didn't say with me as well. I don't know if it is because O'Malley isn't as prominent. This also deals with the carnage gambling can cause to people's lives.
Ron
This is one of the best in the series and it keeps you involved until the end. I may keep on reading the next seven.
But how many times can Farther John save Vicky's life?
Barbara Townsend
A complex story told simply enough that this is a fascinating look at casino operations and its positive and negative effects. I adore characters Father O'Malley and layer Vicky.
Elsi
Definitely one of the better books in this series. I like the way that the relationship between Vicky Holden and Father John is heading.
John Winkworth
After reading eight books in the series, I started but gave up. Too much repetition for me. Just lost interest.
Julie
I have recommended this series before--check it out if you like mysteries and/or Native American culture.
Karen Thacker
Well written mystery. This is the first book that I have read by Margaret Cole, and I will be reading more.
Barbara
not so good. Weak story. too much opera blaring and worrying about returning to alchol.
  • Spirit Sickness
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • The Wailing Wind (Navajo Mysteries, #15)
  • Mourning Dove (Ella Clah, #11)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...

Wind River Reservation (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Eye of the Wolf (Wind River Reservation, #11)
The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2) The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6) The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5) The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)