Start by marking “Here We Go Again: My Life In Television” as Want to Read:
Here We Go Again: My Life In Television

Here We Go Again: My Life In Television

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,413 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews

A MEMOIR OF BETTY WHITE’S FIRST FIVE DECADES ON TELEVISION—AS IRREVERENT AND IRRESISTIBLE AS THE BELOVED ACTRESS HERSELF

BETTY WHITE first appeared on television in 1949 and has gone on to have one of the most amazing careers in TV history, starring in shows such as Life with Elizabeth, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and The Golden Girls, among many others. She is one of the h

Published October 12th 2010 by Scribner (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Here We Go Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here We Go Again

James
Nov 23, 2016 James rated it liked it
A friend recommended this book to me, noting it would be a light read and likely a good break from all the mystery, suspense, murder and thrillers I generally choose. He was right, a definitely a light one, but I'm on the fence on how much I enjoyed it. I rated it a 3 because the sections I loved, I loved. But the sections I did not love, I did not love!

I'm a huge Betty White fan and find myself on the lookout for anything new she stars in. I knew a lot about her career for the last 35+ years wh
TL
Mar 06, 2015 TL rated it it was amazing

What can I saw that hasn't already been said? :) It was pure joy to dive into Betty's world again and learn more about her life... she is quite a person and I hope I have just as much energy and zest for life as she does when I'm that age.

Highly recommend, lots of fun!
Katie
Feb 13, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Wow -- if I thought I liked Betty White before, I'm now in love with her. This autobiography reads like a conversation -- just as I imagined Betty to write and to be. I mean, I felt like i was talking to my grandmother, my great aunt, and my best friend all rolled into one.

Her humor, positivity, and effervescence radiates throughout the entire book.

I couldn't put it down -- in fact, I read all but 40 pages in a weekend of travel.

If you are even REMOTELY interested in old television, buy this imm
Lisa
Dec 30, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Betty White has been an ever-present part of my television viewing pleasure for the majority of my life. I can remember spending weekends at my Grandmother’s house watching first-run episodes of The Golden Girls on Saturday nights. While I was too young to fully appreciate the show as a five-year old, I was reintroduced to the seemingly timeless comedy in college when reruns were shown on the Lifetime network. Eight years since being reintroduced to the show, I can still watch The Golden Girls a ...more
Mom
Aug 13, 2012 Mom rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Betty White is an amazing lady! I already thought she was but this book confirmed it! I love her writing style. It's so honest, direct, and humorous. There is no hopping around in time to confuse you and the pictures are in close proximity to what she is talking about. I can't wait to read the next book!
Jul 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! Betty White is such a witty, cheerful and hard-working person! It was fun to learn about her experiences with television over many decades and see how the business has changed through her eyes. She is such a charismatic person, and the book made me want to watch more of her shows other than Golden Girls!
Rebecca
I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. This book is more of a chronology of her work in television (which the title very obviously states). I guess I just expected a little more of her sassy personality to come through - but I found the read to be mostly name dropping accompanied by some pictures. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I would only recommend this book if someone was genuinely interested in hearing about every single project she worked on 'back in the day' and wi ...more
Carla Peele
Aug 27, 2012 Carla Peele rated it really liked it
It was an interesting look at television's inception, and finally a bio that was mostly sweetness and light, not creepy tragedy lurking at half of the corners. It was just a breezy, fun read-- like having a conversation with Betty herself.

And, when she spoke about feeling defensive when attacked by those feminists at the Television and Broadcast Convention, I was SO on her and Jayne Wyatt's side! "Go, ladies!", I thought. Personally, I thought the feminatzis were being stupid-- the roles of wom
Corey
Mar 01, 2011 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir, kindle
An enjoyable read by one of the great ladies on earth! Informative and fun to learn about Betty White's early career.
Zuzka Namu Jakubkova
Apr 03, 2017 Zuzka Namu Jakubkova rated it really liked it
When it comes to female comedy, Betty White is a legend in a field of comedy talk shows and live-action sitcoms. In this book, she covers her TV career from Betty White Show to Golden Girls. A pleasure to read (or listen to). <3
Orsolya
Aug 10, 2011 Orsolya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you are 9, 19, or 90; EVERYONE loves Betty White. Name one person who doesn’t and I will personally check their brain cells for defective wiring. This loveable lady opens up the story of her long-lived career in “Here We Go Again: My Life in Television”.

This is the third Betty White book I have read and was pleasantly surprised with the writing style/content. In comparison to White’s other books which feature antidotes and inspirational stories/advice; “Here We Go Again” is more of a mem
Texbritreader
Nov 16, 2010 Texbritreader rated it liked it
Shelves: hollywood, actors
This book is a reissue of Miss White's breezy 1995 memoir and includes a new introduction and afterword. It focuses primarily on her long career in television with some amusing anecdotes about her many famous friends (Lucille Ball, Carol Channing, Mary Tyler Moore, Fred Astaire, George Burns etc.) and some personal stories involving her third husband, gameshow host Allen Ludden, her stepchildren and her parents. Her childhood is almost completely omitted, as is her first brief marriage.

However,
Amy Palmer
Feb 11, 2011 Amy Palmer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betty White fans, Golden Girls fans, television history buffs
Shelves: to-buy
Betty White is most certainly a television pioneer. She was there, doing live TV, before most people even had television sets. There are no tapes, obviously, of the first television shows she was on, so it was a pure delight to read her recount those days and what it was like for her, blazing a trail in this new frontier.

I was surprised to find out about her relationships prior to the love of her life, Allen Ludden. It was wonderful to read about their special relationship and how much they love
Patricia Post
Oct 07, 2011 Patricia Post rated it really liked it
Reading this Betty White book not only takes you on an enjoyable journey through the life of this wonderful person, it also provides a quick course in television history. She tells her stories with intelligent good humour and natural, positive outlook. The bonus is that she's really a good writer.

I felt like I was sitting having coffee with a friend, hearing all the news first hand. What a pro, what a down-to-earth person, what an exemplary success story. All because she kept following her passi
Karen
Dec 28, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to this book and Betty White was the reader. It was great as you could hear the emotion in her voice as she talked about her life, the years in television, how those years came to be and the many many people that she knew and influenced her life.
I was happily surprised that there wasn't language in this story. Betty can be gruff at times and knows how to swear like a sailor. Betty has a long legacy in TV. She started on radio, moved to commercial spots, then got her break into TV and
Emily
pretty good read. Nice narrative style, again though I have trouble following non chronological life stories. BW seems to be very down to earth and missing form her book was the ego driving drivel that ruins so many interesting stories. Would however have liked more about her early years, her childhood etc. though she has so much to cover in the years she chooses to write about. Nice light read.
Kim
Jan 20, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This was for book club, and I might not have read it without that inspiration. It was fun to read about tv history, Betty's life, and a few pets throughout the years. I look forward to some of her other books.
Melissa Pettersson
May 21, 2011 Melissa Pettersson rated it really liked it
Didn't have time to finish this book....but what I did read was great. Betty White is one funny lady. LOVE her!
Jonathon Baugh
The abridged version simply cut out way too much. I loved the stories, but felt like they missed the connections from one to the other. Easily a 4 or maybe a 5 if it was not abridged.
Michelle
Jun 13, 2017 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to the abridged audio version, read by Betty White herself. I'll admit I probably gave it more stars than it deserves simply because I adore her. This is not a juicy, scandalous memoir, it's fairly even throughout and she gives highlights about her relationships both professional and personal.

It was a fun listen to get to know more about Betty White and just how much she has worked, I primarily know her as Rose but she was involved in so much. I almost wonder if she's saved her best
Stephanie Chambers
May 26, 2017 Stephanie Chambers rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Another wonderful book of stories from the golden age of Hollywood. I love Betty White and really enjoyed getting to know more about her life. And I loved getting to see where her career intersected with the actors during this period that I've already read about. It seemed like such a fun time to be in show business.
Gina Marinacci keolker
Jun 10, 2017 Gina Marinacci keolker rated it really liked it
Betty White is a national treasure and everybody should read her book. This one was a walk down memory lane, as it was originally written in 1995 before high speed Internet and Netflix changed tv. Interesting to learn more about her early start in tv and see how much has changed since the beginning.
Kat
May 18, 2017 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-tbr
Once again it is impossible for me to be unbiased. I have so much love for Betty White, and it was an absolute delight to here her talk so much about her life, both on camera and off. 💗⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐💗 ...more
Kathie
Feb 08, 2017 Kathie rated it it was amazing
What an interesting life Betty White has had. I enjoyed hearing about all the old tv shows and trying to remember if I had seen them. And I really like her work with animals.
Karen
May 12, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated now (1995), but it was still fun listening to Betty tell her own story. Only 3 discs - took it out while waiting for a CD I'd requested.
Amanda Bennett
While this short autobiography did allow Betty White to shine through, I had higher expectations for the humor. She had some quips throughout but it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny like I'd hoped.

It was really neat to follow along Betty's TV career. I'd never known there were so many game shows. Here story made me want to watch The Golden Girls. Love that show.
Jess the Audiobookworm
Sep 05, 2016 Jess the Audiobookworm rated it really liked it
View on The Audiobookworm
4.25★ Audiobook⎮ This was my first nonfiction audiobook (ever!) and as such, I'm not quite sure how to rate it. I've always thought of myself as a huge fan of Betty White, but listening to this memoir has made me realize that I've really only ever been a fan of her work as Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls, rather than Betty herself. Listening to this audiobook has changed that forever.

Here We Go Again: My Life In Television chronicles all of Betty's work in television, u
Issa
Feb 27, 2017 Issa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Betty is so engaging and authentic and has such an amazing story. I love reading her work!
Robyn
I really appreciate Betty White, not because she's an older woman who is willing to go blue, but because she has always seemed a genuinely nice person, she's a very hard worker, and she appears to be a loyal and steadfast friend. I picked up this memoir (a re-release of her 1995 book with an added introduction and closing from 2010) because I knew the basics of her long television career and have been fascinated at the turns that career has taken. I'm glad I got the book, as it really is an inte ...more
Emily H
Jun 02, 2012 Emily H rated it really liked it
Betty White has grown with the development of television and broadcasts since the beginning of the era. She was right there when television was created, and has been right along side it ever since. For over half a century, White has been preforming for audiences across the nation, shining through her humor and beautiful ora. This book, written by Betty White herself, Here We Go Again, is the second autobiography that she has made. This story focuses on her career, starting from the first small b ...more
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business
  • My Life So Far
  • Enter Talking
  • I, Rhoda
Betty White is an American five-time Emmy Award-winning film and television actress with a career spanning sixty years. She also appeared in radio programs, movies, theater, commercials, and was also a talk show and game show host. White is perhaps best known for her roles in the sitcoms The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
More about Betty White...