Start by marking “The Earth Knows My Name: Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans” as Want to Read:

Patricia Klindienst crossed the country to write this book, inspired by a torn and faded photograph that shed new light on the story of her Italian immigrant family's struggle to adapt to America. She gathered the stories of urban, suburban, and rural gardens created by people rarely presented in books about American gardens: Native Americans, immigrants from across Asia a ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Beacon Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Knows My Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Knows My Name

Mike
Dec 31, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
I'm not a gardener, but this is an absolutely fascinating book that lives at the intersection of politics, culture, the food industry, and (of course) gardening. It's built around the stories of immigrant gardeners: what they brought from the "old country", how they brought it, why it's important. And more important, it's about what we've lost through the food industry, and how that can be regained.

Worth reading on many, many different levels.

Lucrecia
Mar 03, 2008 Lucrecia rated it it was amazing
This is a really lovely collection of stories of gardeners and farmer's market scale farmers across the US and their cultural reasons for maintaining the practice (mainly, she's saying, it's the need for conection to memories of a life before being plunged into a foreign, non-farming-based culture). One of the chapters focused on my paternal aunt and uncle, who have an organic farm in Espanola, NM, my hometown. Some parts of the interviews with them made me choke up, sentimental weakling that I ...more
May 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
It's really more of a 3.5 rating, but Goodreads doesn't offer half stars, so I rounded up the rating for this enjoyable read.

The book is a collection of stories about the author visiting various immigrant families and their gardens. Each family has been kept together or strengthened or healed by their gardening, in many cases across generations. Throughout the book, Klindienst subtly but powerfully advances the argument that growing our own food is healthy for the planet, our families, and the c
Ann
Dec 22, 2008 Ann is currently reading it
Klindienst brings gardening back to its essential and practical, as well as, passionate roots via the lens of different ethnic approaches. Based on in depth interviews that had her traveling all over the United States, to walk in widely varying gardens with its their knowledgeable tenders, Kliendienst offer stories with practical and scholarly information that brings the reader back to the passionate, sensual wisdom of our great grand parents.
Durrell
Feb 26, 2017 Durrell rated it it was amazing
This is the most hopeful book that I have read in a long time. Americans have never treated folks that don't fit into a preconceived notion of normal very well. However, those who were other than "normal" persevered. The gardens that the communities and people created bring hope and healing.

"For so many of the gardeners whose stories we have heard...when the human community failed them, the community of the land did not."
Tamarsmith
Nov 19, 2015 Tamarsmith rated it it was amazing
For 26 years I struggled to feel at home in Western Pennsylvania; to 'grow where I was planted.' But the fact is that I was a Smith, daughter of Marshall the gardener, grown in West Whately, watered by New England rain. In retrospect, having returned to the same zip code of my youth, I see Pennsylvania as an exile a place of transplantation where I never really flourished.

The Earth Knows My Name is about the deep relationship between the soil, plants, planters, family, food and culture. It is wo
Will Szal
Jan 06, 2015 Will Szal rated it it was amazing
People have been talking about food justice for years. They're also been talking about local food. From a completely different angle, this book happens to unite the two [way back in 2006]. Food justice doesn't just compliment local food in a practical way; food is culture. Everyone in the US came here at some point in history, and brought some form of culture with them [even the Native Americans, although we don't know what their culture was like before they were native]. And these cultures all ...more
Steve
Dec 15, 2007 Steve rated it really liked it
Gardens are about taking care. Of land, of plants, and of ourselves in the end. This "radical" notion pervades the stories of the ethnic gardeners covered in this book . Through the act of tending gardens, these ethnic gardeners find their place in the world. It's a joy to read about each gardener's favorite crops or the family history embedded in gardening traditions. It's often heartbreaking to hear the suffering or indignities they have endured in their homeland or in America.

A theme touched
Emily
Mar 18, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
The writing in this book was a little sentimental at times, but that's really my only criticism. I loved this book for introducing me to an amazing group of people who come from many different cultures, and have many different gardens, but the same kind of love for the land and the food that comes from it. Klindienst focuses on one or two gardeners in each chapter, and provides some background on their culture and the larger conflicts that led them to America (whether from a foreign land or the ...more
Maria
Jun 20, 2007 Maria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For those who believe gardens are for more than growing vegetables
Shelves: earth
I believe in fresh, green, healthy, vegetables for all! This book and the stories here do as well. This book is composed of stories of gardeners. Not just any garden, cultural gardens. This author traveled the United States and interviewed farmers/gardeners who are not only growing a garden for food, they are also growing to preserve the cultures which they come from. I believe in community and urban gardening. This books shares amazing stories about amazing people, and I fell in love with garde ...more
Iloivar
Jan 04, 2010 Iloivar rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
While I was irritated by the author's continual use of the present tense, the vivid adventures of those who came to the U.S. for so many different reasons captured my imagination and my attention. The common thread of the sense of peace and timelessness they all nurtured in their gardens and the connection gardening gave them to their ancestors resonated with my own gardening experiences. If you have a middling tolerance for flowery prose, it is worth wading through to absorb the history and adv ...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
How do you put into words a summary of a book when it moves your soul the way The Earth Knows My Name did? Finding it's way deep into my soul and then moving it is exactly what this book did for me. The writing is so beautiful. The stories, so moving. I have been a gardener for 40 years. I love to travel our country, eat food that comes from gardens, and reading about history. This book, with a focus on indelible characters, has all that and more. Thank you Patricia for such a gift.
Rhiannon
Dec 31, 2007 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all gardeners
Shelves: gardening
Now I'm done with this book. I love it. I love reading books where each chapter is a different story but they are all of the same basic theme. This book follows the theme of immigrant farmers. Each story involves cultural history, the journey to America, and a deep connection to the Earth as a connection to familial history. The people in these stories are as real as people get. Determined, strong people who have been through hell yet still keep on going. This book is incredibly inspiring.
Erica
Mar 20, 2011 Erica rated it it was amazing
Loved it. May have to switch things around in my ag history class to be able to teach it.
Her narrative voice is a little cloying at times, but the people she interviews and their family stories are amazing. A great way to spend the winter, reading this in little sips before bed. Ethnic studies and gardening in one lovely mash-up.
Georgina
Dec 24, 2008 Georgina rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This is a good book if a bit sentimental. I appreciated the point of view of the author. I loved reading about the many different ways that people in America connect with farming and how that connects to their particular historical background (both their identity and the history of the place where they are farming now).
Smita Pamar
May 05, 2008 Smita Pamar rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful read. She goes through 9 different groups of immigrants and basically poetically tells the story of their lives through their gardens. One of my favorites is on the Khmer garden. She goes through different social/political categories for each story, i.e. Freedom, Justice, Community. It is also a great read of political/social history, too.
Janet
May 26, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
The issues this book presents won't be new to anyone who's read books like The Omnivore's Dilemma or Animal Vegetable Miracle, but the stories Klindienst has gathered are powerful, and she tells them skillfully and respectfully. Bonus for PacNW types: two of her interviewees are on Bainbridge Island.
Anastasia
Klindienst writes beautifully about the gardens she visits. She tells the stories of people who garden because it connects them to their cultures, allows them to nourish life, be an expert in a world where they usually feel so alien. This is a great little book, with short, vivid stories told in lovely, rich poetic prose.
Marija
Dec 06, 2011 Marija rated it it was amazing
Who knew Bartolomeo Vanzetti waxed lyric on his last days about his father's fabulous farm? I love how Klindeinst shows us various immigrants' lives, and how they use their gardens to either help them integrate into American society or help them keep connection with their original cultures.
Naomi
Aug 30, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read this year, Klindienst shares a journey of appreciating gardens as sites of healing, reparative justice, hope, claiming and reclaiming cultures and selves, and feeding hearts and hopes as well as bodies.
Jim
Sep 29, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
Had a potluck lunch at one of the gardens in the book today, Maska & Mario's in Redwood City with their daughter and granddaughter. Also had a Facetime call with the author, Patricia Klindienst what a great culmination to a very good book.
Megan
May 23, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
A nice collection of the author's impressions, associations and research relating to a series of interviews with Americans of varied ethnic heritage and varied connections with gardens. Didn't keep me on the edge of my seat, but it was enjoyable to read.
Brenna
Mar 26, 2009 Brenna rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, even if it's reminders of our huge environmental dilemma we created for ourselves made my mind reel. The different farmers' stories are inspiring and make you want to go out and till some soil.
Stephanie
May 12, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naturopathic
A wonderful tour of gardens around the country, grown by Americans who have immigrated from different parts of the world and at different times. Beautiful reminder of why ground and diversity are so important to the health of communities and the nation.
Tessa
Feb 24, 2009 Tessa rated it it was amazing
This book tells stories of refugees and immigrants who have made a piece of Earth their own again by growing gardens with food and plants dear to their hearts and heritage. It is a wonderful glimpse in to the lives and culture of people not featured in most gardening magazines.
Jill Joiner
Apr 03, 2016 Jill Joiner rated it it was amazing
An excellent read of where culture and food meet. We all must eat and if that brings people together through community gardens then all the better
Shawna
Jan 12, 2009 Shawna rated it really liked it
Shelves: sandv
great, touching read.
Arne
Sep 29, 2008 Arne rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Very spiritual.
Deborah
Oct 11, 2007 Deborah rated it really liked it
Lovely story of the author's journey into history, gardens and what makes us human.

Fantastic story about Sacco and Vanzetti - a real surprise.
Anita
Sep 16, 2008 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
excellent book on community garden
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cultivating Food Justice: Race, Class, and Sustainability
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States
  • Renewing America's Food Traditions: Saving and Savoring the Continent's Most Endangered Foods
  • What the World Eats
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Natural Way of Farming: The Theory and Practice of Green Philosophy
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • First Person Rural
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides)
  • Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen