Start by marking “Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2008” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2008

Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2008

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Who but Rick Steves can tell travelers the best way to visit Etruscan caves in Central Italy's hill towns, shop for cheeses in Avignon's open-air market, or catch an accordion performance on Amsterdam's city streets? With Rick Steves’ Best of Europe 2008, travelers can experience the best of everything Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Great B ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2008

OK, so I'll take this with me to Europe, but mainly for the city walks section at the beginning of each city section. I had a lot of things against this book:
1. It's American. OK, this in itself is not a fault, but everything is in miles and American dollars. I think it's aimed at the lucrative can't-use-a-calculator market
2. It's full of a lot of things the author actually recommends avoiding, which take up a lot of unnecessary space. The National Geographic travel guides seem to be much better
[2007.09] A nice overview of his "best of". Bought and brought with us in parts (i.e. cut up into pieces, which is definitely the way to go) on our Fall 2007 Western Europe trip (England, France, Spain, Italy) and the rest on our Spring-Summer 2009 Europe trip. The only place we haven't been to in the book is Provence. My standard bit regarding RS books: The book has good info (e.g. how to beat the lines, etc.), but exact prices for attractions can be outdated. Traveling the RS way is by no mean ...more
Nov 28, 2012 Deirdre rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to travel, retirees,
Would have given it five stars, but this is a really big book to schlep around (over 1500 pages if I'm not mistaken). Also, it was actually the 2012 edition that I read, but this edition had the most reviews, so that's why I'm posting it here.

If you don't mind the extra weight, bring it with you, but my best advice is to write down all the places you want to see in a notebook. By the time you get to the place you want to go, you'll have all the information you need at the fraction of the weight.
Oct 09, 2007 Tien rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: american tourists who would like to hang out with american tourists in europe
I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like Rick Steves. So earnest, so eager to please, so american. Alas. His definition of "cheap" is really "expensive" and his declaration that someplace is a "hotspot" translates into "mecca for american tourists." It's good if you want to feel like you left home but really didn't; otherwise, Lonely Planet or the NFT guides would be the way to go.
If you are going to Europe, get this book. We ate at amazing, local restaurants that we never would have found without Rick Steves. We downloaded his guided tours through several cities and museums on our ipods before we went and especially enjoyed these walks and tours. He has awesome tips. This book made our trip!
Rachel Widjaya
This book is super helpful!

Rick gives reviews, guidance, secret pathways info and even cheats to ensure you can have the best time in Europe without any hassle.

Highly recommended for first time traveler to Europe.
The book was easy to read and makes me look forward to the day I can actually travel to some of the places listed. It was a good overview since I wasn't sure where to start in planning a vacation anyplace in Europe.
Oct 14, 2007 Kareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling to Europe
I survived off this book and its recommendations during my trip to Europe. I came back alive and without contracting any diseases or injuries, so overall go read this before you travel.
A must read for anyone who goes to Europe. Seriously, about 80% of the tourists we saw were carrying this book.
Only the most fantastic, practical and entertaining European guidebook of all time. DO NOT travel without Rick Steves.
This is a good one, but since it's a "best of" book, he only hits the highlights in certain countries.
Jordan Munn
Chop it up and sew it back together, that's what Rick Steves says. Picnics and Weed.
I think Rick Steves books are the greatest when planning a trip to Europe.
Dec 21, 2007 Trina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't make reservations in advance...
This book literally saved me on numerous occasions. I have never had a more practical guidebook. Thank you, Rick!
Petrina Gillman
Petrina Gillman marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Polly Zilhaver
Polly Zilhaver is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Jeani marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Let's Go: Europe 2007
  • Fodor's Ireland 2011
  • USA
  • Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel
  • Atlas of the World
  • Korea
  • Warriors in the Crossfire
  • Great Britain
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...
Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2007: The Travel Skills Handbook  Travel as a Political Act Rick Steves' Italy 2007 Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides) Rick Steves' Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler