Start by marking “Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)” as Want to Read:
Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)

Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster #4)

Bethany Farmer cares more about soccer than romance until transfer student Allein shows up, but after joining him in his battle to maintain control of the throne of Faerie, she must decide to give up the mortal world for him, or ask him to give up his immortality.
Published April 2011 by Graphic Universe (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Under His Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under His Spell

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Aug 05, 2016 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Okay, so the cover art for these are really good. Now, this one is a 3.5 for me mostly because of the art work. It wasn't bad but it wasn't very good. I don't like saying anything bad, especially when it comes to the art work. I did like it some parts and others it was a little weird.

I also noticed that other reviews seemed to feel the same what with giving this a 3. Mostly for the artwork.

I was going to give this a 4 but now I'm thinking, no this will be 4, I won't let the art work stop me. Do
Rhianna
Oct 27, 2011 Rhianna rated it it was ok
Completely Lacking...

The fourth graphic novel in the MY BOYFRIEND IS A MONSTER series, UNDER HIS SPELL, movies from true monsters into faery territory. Yeah, you read that right. Faery. This could have been workable if it was done with a true flair for fae folklore but instead it feels like a weak mash-up of the previous installments in the series.

Bethany's life is boring—the idea being that the fae boyfriend makes it exciting—and it really bleeds through into the plot. There's nothing fresh or
Arminzerella
Krista Ivy
he isn't a warlock ,but so much more. think feral elf and call them Fae.
Kelley Smith
Aug 25, 2011 Kelley Smith rated it liked it
My Boyfriend Is a Monster: Under His Spell (#4) by Marie P. Croall, illustrated by Hyeondo Park
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Graphic Universe/Lerner Publishing, Inc.
Tentative Release Date: October 1, 2011

This book was fun. I feel it was geared towards a younger reading set. If I had a younger cousin, sister, child of a friend who was around 10-13 give or take a few years in either direction, this book would be a complete slam dunk (i.e. fantastic Halloween present (does anyone do that?), birthday
Sinead
May 14, 2015 Sinead rated it it was ok
Andy Shuping
Aug 24, 2011 Andy Shuping rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by netGalley

Bethany is your normal, average teenage girl and unlike what the back cover says...she isn’t boring. She plays soccer, studies hard, and enjoys hanging out with her friends. And everything is normal...until a fae prince in hiding appears. And troubles arises. Bethany and her friends must quickly figure out how to survive and “like” might be on the horizon.

This is the 4th book in the “My Boyfriend is a Monster” series and the books in this series seem to be a bit hit or
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

Under His Spell is a return to the humor and light heartedness of I Love Him to Pieces. Bethany is a hardworking student athlete and she has her head on straight. But because she's so focused she sometimes misses out on the fun of being young. She takes a chance with Allein. He's cute and nice, but also a little strange. After strange men (who aren't human) try to kidnap her because she sits next to him in chemistry class, Bethany demands some information.

"Look,
Cyna
Sep 10, 2011 Cyna rated it liked it
I've generally enjoyed the My Boyfriend is a Monster series. The first, I Love Him to Pieces, was fun and sweet, the second...kinda meh, and though I'm sad to say I missed the chance to read number three - y'know, vampire one - I'm happy to say that Under His Spell, for me, at least, has managed to recapture the fun and sweetness that made I Love Him to Pieces so enjoyable.

This go around, our titular boyfriend is Allein, a Faery Price - yes, literally - hiding out in the mortal world from his ee
Chibineko
So far I've found that this series is sort of hit or miss. For every volume that's absolutely great (My Boyfriend Bites), there's a volume that's somewhat mediocre. This volume falls under the mediocre category.

One of the most distracting aspects of this story really had to be the artwork. The quality of it just wasn't very consistent. On one page it would be very well done and on the next you'd see proportions that just weren't very realistic or feasible. There was one panel where our heroine B
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I’m reviewing this for NetGalley.

Under His Spell is the fourth graphic novel in the My Boyfriend is a Monster series.
Unlike most girls at her high school, Bethany Farmer is focused and does not spend her time thinking about boys. Her best friend, Annie, is definitely boy crazy and talks about them nonstop. Bethany is praised by her teachers, parents, and soccer coach for being focused but is often ridiculed by her soccer mates about being boring because of it.

One day, there is a new guy, Allein,
Kayt
Jun 18, 2013 Kayt rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Stop it, I see you side-eyeing my rating up there. It's cute. Or cuuute, in that same high-pitched voice you would use when your best friend shows you their new pet horned toad and you get past the initial shock of argh it looks like it wants to kill meeee and then you call it cuuuute, with the understanding that this is relative to what you were expecting.

...That is to say, it's a short, silly, high school romance. And it's very good at being a short, silly, high school romance.

Actually, I woul
TammyJo Eckhart
Dec 21, 2015 TammyJo Eckhart rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book that I have read in the "My Boyfriend is a Monster" series from Graphic Universe. This one is written by Marie P Croall and illustrated by Hyeondo Park. Croall may be best known for her four books in the Graphic Myths and Legends series while Park has done numerous books with Monkey Brains Comics.

In "Under His Spell" the "monster" in question is a fae prince whose other world problems interfere with Bethany Farmer's focus on school and sports. Unlike her best friend who s
Rhonda
Sep 10, 2011 Rhonda rated it liked it
I'm new to manga and feel a little lost in the story for me. Could be because I started out with #4 and if I had read the others would not be lost.
Bethany Farmer is a high school soccor player. She is focused on school and soccor not boys.
Allen is the new student from a different world. He is Fae you do notice his ears right off. I don't know why he had feathers trailing him and how he started looking in Bethany window. He tries to talk to her at school and she tells him he is wasting his time.
Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton
I have to say that I am reviewing this book for Net Galley. I am a big fan of graphic novels as most of the people who know me or read my blog already know. I hardly ever find one that I don't like but this one was not a favorite of mine. I really liked the last one because the are work was phenomenal, but this one lacked the artistic talent that the other one had. In my opinion graphic novels need to have awesome art in order to make the story come to life. Graphic novels lack the content that ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
OK, I'm feeling magnanimous today, I may even give this 2,5 stars.

First, the art isn't that spectacular. Maybe it's because it's a black and white graphic novels... I mean, the few color plates are actually good, but the black-and-white plates seems to lack... I don't know... soul?

Second, the plot is a bit unoriginal. Yeah, fairies who want to take over the world. And a good fairy who wants to protect it.

The only good thing about this graphic novel is the lead female. She really has an attitude.
Nov 14, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Another fun addition to this series with a strong, pull-no-punches girl in charge of her heart and her after school adventures with other world creatures and villains!

Bethany and Allein brought this installment in the graphic novel series to a whole new kickass, romantic level. Both characters were likeable and fun to watch open up, begin to trust, stand up for each other and perhaps fall in love.

The story, “monster”, and romance were all fascinating, fun, and beautifully depicted with light, ai
Jessica
Appeal Characteristics: Character Development, Art(stylistically different, faeries

This was one of my favorite/least favorite books. I did like the whole fae thing, but I wasn't a fan of the particular art style...UNTIL SHE LAID OUT ILLUSTRATIONS IN COLOR! Those whole sets up pages were pretty awesome! The visuals definitely had to grow on me...as I didn't particular care for the messy haphazard lining. I guess she wanted to make the fae seem more "eerie" than "beautiful" (sorta like the True Bl
Ana
Apesar de não ser tão bom como I Love Him to Pieces, este 4º volume também tem os seus pontos fortes. Para começar, e desculpem-me pela frivolidade, eu adorei a arte! Dinâmica, limpa e muito imprevisível. Os rostos eram deveras estranhos mas a acção estava soberba, e mesmo nos momentos mais estáticos o artista trazia às cenas energia com as suas perspectivas arrojadas e exageradas. E aquelas páginas a cores no meio ... lindas!
Tendo dito isto, o enredo também é competente, embora, em momentos, um
Rosa
I wanted to like this more then I did. Bethany is a very focused, very intense high school student; until she meets Allien Atwood. Suddenly she is in a relationship with him which is dangerous bc he is a fairy caught in the middle of a war. This one didn't thrill me. I couldn't figure out why she was so interested in Allien all of a sudden. Also bits of the plot felt like they were kind of left hanging in the middle of nowhere. This story was also simpler and one that's been heard in some ...more
Li
Sep 28, 2012 Li rated it liked it
Should I just give up on this series?
This is now the fourth installment and none have recaptured the spirit of the first novel (I Love Him to Pieces).
For the first time, I really didn't like the artwork. Showing coloring for the Fae Land was a nice touch but otherwise, I really wasn't impressed.
Story was ok. I liked the main character, Bethany. She was a realistic character but otherwise...meh!
Maureen
Aug 10, 2011 Maureen rated it it was ok
This was the 4th in the "My Boyfriend is a Monster " series and it pales in comparison to #3. The art is so-so and the story line was tedious.

It starts out black and white and in the middle turns color. I had hope for the story once it did turn color but it was still just as tedious. Admittedly, graphic novels are not my preferred genre, however I liked #1 and #2 and LOVED #3 in the series.

This one just seemed out of place in the whole series. The art did not keep pace with the others and.... sa
Pinky
Dec 11, 2011 Pinky rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-11
Bethany Farmer is a serious athlete and high school student with a penchant for coffee (mmm, coffee!!). She falls in with a faerie prince who is hiding out in her high school. His evil cousins want the throne and are after him. Bethany helps him fight his way back to justice.

I love that the girls in this series totally kick butt, but the first two books were just a notch above these latest two. Bethany falls for Allein because he says she's different? C'mon. I'll keep reading, but the writing i
Christine
Aug 31, 2011 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, galley
I'm not much for books about fae, but this GN was cute. It follows in the way of its predecessors in this loosely connected series in that a mysterious boy shows up, boy and girl meet/hang out, he tells her the truth about himself almost as soon as trouble shows up, they fight or handle some situation, then it ends open-ended in a cute way. The end. Hah.

Seriously though, I like this series and I hope to see more of them soon.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A graphic novel featuring the fae! And royalty. And fighting. And other worlds (drawn in color!).

Bethany Farmer's life is focused on school, soccer, and coffee. There is no room for boys, until new foreign exchange student arrives at school. He's background is different and his differences draws Bethany's attention. Unfortunately, their attention to each other draws unwanted attention from the fae in another world.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Brandy
Nov 13, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
Graphic Novel

Bethany is used to her quiet life - some would even say it was boring. Then an exchange student shows up who is a little different but is still incredibly cute! When he and Bethany start to get close, she discovers that he is from farther away than she can imagine and that he is the target of some troublemakers that want Allein dead.
Yodamom
Aug 20, 2011 Yodamom rated it really liked it
Bethany a soccer player in High School. She thinks about soccer, a lot, till.. A new student Allien arrives and likes to gear her talk. He has some strange looking family members that aren’t so nice. There’s something else, he’s not really human. Things get dangerous and Bethany goes to Fairy.
I really enjoyed the colored drawings and the details put into the art.
Thomas Maluck
Sep 16, 2015 Thomas Maluck rated it liked it
I find the lower average review score for this book in the My Boyfriend Is A Monster series unjust, given that its heroine shows more strength and nerve than the previous female leads, and the "monster" fae boy shows plenty of mystery, (literal) color, and mythology compared to the previous "monster" love interests.
Sandy
Dec 30, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Bethany is very focused on soccer, until the strange new guy shows up at school. They have a strange attraction towards each other, which ends up with Bethany getting attacked a few times. Allien is an elf and his cousin wants to kill him so he can be king. Now the two of them band together to defeat his cousin.
Nicole
Jun 04, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
#1 in this series is still my fave, but this one is a close #2. I liked the characters and their chemistry, the artwork was pretty good, and I also enjoyed how the images transitioned to color when we found ourselves in the faery realm....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • I Date Dead People (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #5)
  • He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #7)
  • A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8)
  • Loved by the Alpha (The Shadow Pack Rules, #5)
  • Seducing the Dragon: Part 4 (Stonefire Dragons, #2 part 4 of 4)
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Shadow Kissed: Dimitri's POV (Vampire Academy, #3.1)
  • Coercion: Part 3
  • Claimed by the Elven King: Part Four
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Werewolf (Changeling Encounters, #3)
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • Storm Born, #2 (Dark Swan Comic)
  • Soul Mate
  • Blood of the Wolf (Wolves of Black River, #2)
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)

My Boyfriend Is a Monster (8 books)
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • I Date Dead People (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #5)
  • Wrapped Up in You (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #6)
  • He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #7)
  • A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8)