Start by marking “The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)

The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger #5)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  8 reviews
PI Cecil Younger works out of Sitka, Alaska, a place of stark beauty and unpredictable danger, where a man paid to look for the truth can just as easily disappear and even the angels will not care.

Cecil Younger never thought it would come to this—providing surveillance for a chicken coop being raided by a fowl thief. But things have not exactly been breaking right lately f
Published January 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Angels Will Not Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angels Will Not Care

Susan
The Angels Will Not Care by John Straley is book 5 of the Cecil Younger series set in 1999 Alaska. Cecil is a private investigator in Sitka, where he has lived for 15 years. His girlfriend Jane Marie DeAngelo of three years is a research biologist and CEO of a games company, the ‘day job’ that funds research on humpback whales. Their friend Todd lives with them. Todd is not well adapted socially. Cecil quotes a neighbor, “Todd ain’t dumb, he’s just smart in his very own way.”

Cecil says of life i
Andrew
Subtle. Straley, you're frickin' subtle. You caught my attention without my even realizing it, sucked me in, then wouldn't let me go until the last page.

Given the number of people who see the state of Alaska from the deck of a cruise ship, it is a setting that is rarely examined by the state's authors. In the hands of a talent like John Straley, it allows us to meet a cross-section of people AND address a few aspects of today's society – the author takes us to the impact of those masses of touri
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
Set in the Pacific Northwest, really well written mysteries.
Matt Heavner
quick read, fun story from the inside passage/SEAK.
Jenine
I haven't read this author for years. This one was pub'd in 2000. I have a little catching up to do. It's a detective novel series set in Sitka Alaska. The first book, The Woman Who Married A Bear, broke my heart in a good way. This one mostly takes place on a cruise ship. I liked it a great deal. There is poetry and alienation and sweetness. Even if it's quite a stretch to think that an 8,000 person village needs a private detective.
Savannah
It's easy to put him just into a noire detective niche, but Straley does such an outstanding but subtle and unfussy job of capturing Alaska that he really deserves our writer laureate title.
Chris Wolak
Fun book to read after just going on a cruise to Alaska. Purchased in Sitka, Alaska, home of Straley. This was the first book that I read of Straley's and I look forward to reading more.
Scott Nicholson
Love his writing
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
KH
KH added it
Jun 18, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kathy Killam
Kathy Killam marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Lorraine Schintzius
Lorraine Schintzius marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Novelist John Straley has worked as a secretary, horseshoer, wilderness guide, trail crew foreman, millworker, machinist and private investigator. He moved to Sitka, Alaska in 1977 and has no plans of leaving. John's wife, Jan Straley, is a marine biologist well-known for her extensive studies of humpback whales.
More about John Straley...

Cecil Younger (6 books)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2)
  • The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)
  • Death and the Language of Happiness (Cecil Younger, #4)
  • Cold Water Burning (Cecil Younger, #6)
Cold Storage, Alaska The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1) The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2) The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3) The Big Both Ways