Start by marking “The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)

The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A defense investigator working out of Sitka, in the Alaskan coastal archipelago, Cecil Younger walks a narrow line between the truth and what his clients pay him to find… The Music of What Happens.

Younger's got the child custody case from hell, and a client to match.Shrill, confrontational, and obsessed, Priscilla DeAngelo is sure her ex is conspiring with a state senator
Published February 3rd 1997 by Crimeline (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Music of What Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music of What Happens

Charles Kerns
Mar 20, 2016 Charles Kerns rated it really liked it
Straley’s book tries to be music. One thing: it is not mystery. People die, get hit, blown up, fight, but there is only confusion, not anything truly hidden--well, one thing is pulled on the reader to end the book, but it doesn't really matter. The plot really gives Cecil, the inept but persistent investigator, reasons to listen to everyone, watch everything, and sometimes be helpful. He also gets to travel through Alaska and describe the geography, peoples, and creatures in great detail. The wr ...more
Dion Oreilly
Sep 27, 2015 Dion Oreilly rated it liked it
The strongest part of this book is the setting, Sitka, which is lovingly described and whose features strongly influence the plot. I also became very interested whenever Cecil, the protagonist-detective received mystical signs from ravens that helped him undercover the truth — a cool injection of weirdness. I have to say that, despite my frustration at really "getting" the erstwhile yet bumbling main character, I found him likable because he solves cases by listening and not forming judgments. I ...more
Laurie
Jul 26, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok
Again Straley is a little weird but eventually I get into the story.
Leslie
Mar 17, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
This is the first Straley book I've read. The plot went places I didn't expect and I liked that the location was someplace I didn't know anything about. It took me a chapter or two to get into but I like writers with an odd style, a la Kate Atkinson, so this was very enjoyable. Plan to go read the rest of this series in order.
Eldon
Oct 26, 2015 Eldon rated it really liked it
I like this author. A southest Alaska "mystery" writer who is unconventional and has a good eye for the ordinary. And his books are not all the same.
Matt Heavner
Sep 04, 2014 Matt Heavner rated it really liked it
I remember Straley's other books were similar: starting out a bit slow, getting better, better, and still better, then they are over. I love the story placed in the crazy side of Alaskan life (Southeast, specifically). I loved the description of Tenakee in this book -- just like I remember our visits out there. If you love Southeast, this crazy story is a fun romp through the area.
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
Set in the Pacific Northwest, really well written mysteries.
Sue
Aug 31, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
A good Alaska mystery.
Gordon Gravley
Aug 31, 2014 Gordon Gravley rated it really liked it
The third installment in Straley's Cecil Younger series. The defense investigator continues to struggle with his own demons as he looks for truth in the unforgiving, and often monstrous, environment of Alaska. A solid series.
Debbi
Mar 09, 2009 Debbi rated it liked it
Easy read - good airplane read. Not great literature. Fun for me because it happens in Alaska.
Tim
Feb 23, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Excellent (though a bit rustic/regional for my taste). Intelligent and entertaining writer.
Denis Walsh
Denis Walsh marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Julia
Julia added it
Apr 19, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Deidre
Deidre added it
Jan 30, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Katina stewart
Katina stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Eric Anderson
Eric Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ej Reeder
Ej Reeder rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Soosi Day
Soosi Day rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
  • The Samaritan's Secret
  • Shaman Pass (Nathan Active Mystery, #2)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • Final Payment (Posadas County Mystery, #5)
  • Camelback Falls
  • Rage for Fame: The Ascent of Clare Boothe Luce
  • The Nixon Tapes: 1971-1972
  • Soul of the Fire (Inspector Shan, #8)
  • Ancient Ones
Novelist John Straley has worked as a secretary, horseshoer, wilderness guide, trail crew foreman, millworker, machinist and private investigator. He moved to Sitka, Alaska in 1977 and has no plans of leaving. John's wife, Jan Straley, is a marine biologist well-known for her extensive studies of humpback whales.
More about John Straley...

Cecil Younger (6 books)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2)
  • Death and the Language of Happiness (Cecil Younger, #4)
  • The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)
  • Cold Water Burning (Cecil Younger, #6)