Start by marking “The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)

The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A defense investigator working out of Sitka, in the Alaskan coastal archipelago, Cecil Younger walks a narrow line between the truth and what his clients pay him to find… The Music of What Happens.

Younger's got the child custody case from hell, and a client to match.Shrill, confrontational, and obsessed, Priscilla DeAngelo is sure her ex is conspiring with a state senator
Published February 3rd 1997 by Crimeline (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Music of What Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music of What Happens

Dion Oreilly
The strongest part of this book is the setting, Sitka, which is lovingly described and whose features strongly influence the plot. I also became very interested whenever Cecil, the protagonist-detective received mystical signs from ravens that helped him undercover the truth — a cool injection of weirdness. I have to say that, despite my frustration at really "getting" the erstwhile yet bumbling main character, I found him likable because he solves cases by listening and not forming judgments. I ...more
Again Straley is a little weird but eventually I get into the story.
This is the first Straley book I've read. The plot went places I didn't expect and I liked that the location was someplace I didn't know anything about. It took me a chapter or two to get into but I like writers with an odd style, a la Kate Atkinson, so this was very enjoyable. Plan to go read the rest of this series in order.
I like this author. A southest Alaska "mystery" writer who is unconventional and has a good eye for the ordinary. And his books are not all the same.
Matt Heavner
I remember Straley's other books were similar: starting out a bit slow, getting better, better, and still better, then they are over. I love the story placed in the crazy side of Alaskan life (Southeast, specifically). I loved the description of Tenakee in this book -- just like I remember our visits out there. If you love Southeast, this crazy story is a fun romp through the area.
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
Set in the Pacific Northwest, really well written mysteries.
A good Alaska mystery.
Gordon Gravley
The third installment in Straley's Cecil Younger series. The defense investigator continues to struggle with his own demons as he looks for truth in the unforgiving, and often monstrous, environment of Alaska. A solid series.
Easy read - good airplane read. Not great literature. Fun for me because it happens in Alaska.
Excellent (though a bit rustic/regional for my taste). Intelligent and entertaining writer.
Krishna marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Debra marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Prasanna Rajah
Prasanna Rajah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Samaritan's Secret
  • Shaman Pass (Nathan Active Mystery, #2)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • Statute Of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • Camelback Falls
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #8)
Novelist John Straley has worked as a secretary, horseshoer, wilderness guide, trail crew foreman, millworker, machinist and private investigator. He moved to Sitka, Alaska in 1977 and has no plans of leaving. John's wife, Jan Straley, is a marine biologist well-known for her extensive studies of humpback whales.
More about John Straley...

Cecil Younger (6 books)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2)
  • Death and the Language of Happiness (Cecil Younger, #4)
  • The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)
  • Cold Water Burning (Cecil Younger, #6)