Start by marking “Irrational Economist: Making Decisions in a Dangerous World” as Want to Read:
Irrational Economist: Making Decisions in a Dangerous World

Irrational Economist: Making Decisions in a Dangerous World

At a time of huge choices, it has never been more important to make the right decisions. Acclaimed experts explore decision-making and irrationality in a catastrophic world
Published January 5th 2010 by Da Capo Press (first published December 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Irrational Economist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irrational Economist

Sean Goh
Oct 21, 2015 Sean Goh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very dry and academic, the opening chapters were better, but it degenerated quickly. Didn't even realise I had read this book 2 years ago (probably shows its forgettability).

____________

Reliance on our gut feelings works when our experience enables us to anticipate accurately the consequences of our decisions. It fails miserably when the consequences turn out to be very different from what we expected.

Commit only so far as you can predict.

After a virgin (previously unexperienced) risk occurs, pe
April
Feb 03, 2016 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little misled about what to expect from this book, as I was told it's "like the follow-up to Freakonomics." So I was expecting witty investigation into some interesting scenarios relating to society. Instead, it was more technical and the scenarios are more mundane--though definitely important to think about and consider. I do appreciate the research and analysis that was done about people's behaviors around catastrophe insurance and such, but it was a little hard to get through.

Book: fr
Martin
Dec 20, 2009 Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book may be appropriate for undergraduate level students. A general reader will probably get more out of a book like Predictable Irrationality. I found the collected articles in this book to be repetitive and consistent theme is that human decision making, despite available rational concepts is overridden by human emotional frailty. It is a bit troubling that many of the references cited are old and contributors frequently cite each other’s works. This book is of dubious value to the general ...more
Mikko Arevuo
A good intro to decision-making under uncertainty and the basic concepts of behavioral economics. However, a general reader would probably find the chapter contributions by different scholars repetitive and an academic reader too general. In summary, the book is poorly positioned in terms of its target audience.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
This is a book about how it is better to rely on intuition than committing to science and forecasts. It is entertaining in the beginning; but as pages pass; it becomes heavier and complex. I dragged myself to the end of it; but unfortunately was unable to extract much from the second and third parts.
Smellsofbikes
Short essays by a variety of economists about irrationality, human behavior, risk assessment, and related topics. Good, but the piecewise nature made it feel pretty fragmented and a lot of the essays were just okay.
Mimi Somsanith
No comment. Couldn't bring myself to read it. I understand that saying that the market can remain solvent longer than the trader can remain irrational (or rational).
Behrak
Feb 05, 2013 Behrak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
impossible to finish... so disorganized, confused, boring... needs a complete rewrite
Alexa Tanner
Alexa Tanner rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2016
Rishabh Tagore
Rishabh Tagore marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Pankaj Patel
Pankaj Patel marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Prakhar
Prakhar marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Abel
Abel rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Beardo Gomez
Beardo Gomez marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
James
James added it
Jan 02, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Visagan
Visagan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Pheriche
Pheriche rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Shery
Shery is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
Ram Vemuri
Ram Vemuri marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Luke
Luke rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2015
Michele Wucker
Michele Wucker rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Anastazja
Anastazja marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Pamela Sanchez
Pamela Sanchez marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Steven
Steven added it
May 06, 2015
Ryan Mcgunnigle
Ryan Mcgunnigle rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2015