Start by marking “Aerie” as Want to Read:
Aerie

Aerie (Dragon Jousters #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  3,776 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In the fourth and final novel of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters series, Kiron, the man who had once been a dragon-boy called Vetch, has united the dragon riders and managed to rid their world of both war and magical domination. But are the evil Magi really gone for good? As Kiron tries to build a new civilization at the site of an abandoned cliff dweller's city, called ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Daw Books (first published October 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Aerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aerie

Clouds
Four word summary: Better than I expected!

So while my wife, Millie, was in labour with our daughter, I read four books (it took a while). It's been a bit trickier to find time to get those four books reviewed since then (we also have a hyper toddler).

I doubt many people will read Aerie without having first read the preceding three books in the trilogy. I jumped straight in here because Millie was still reading book three, Sanctuary, so she'd bought this with her, and I needed something/anything
Beverly
Dreadful. It took over two hundred pages for a conflict to appear and once it had, it struck up out of nowhere. It had no connection to the previous books and made no sense. It was more like she tossed it in for the sake of a conflict, to render the fourth book significant when she could have ended it earlier. There was no build up for it and no hint of it in other books, either.

In addition, the introduction of Peri felt forced, especially since she had no character development. She appeared lik
Beverly

Niki Zee Dee
As much as the first three books in this series left me wanting more, the first hundred pages of this one left me wondering if Lackey shouldn't have stopped at a trilogy.

So, the pacing is a bit weird. And I wanted to shake Kiron more than once for his views on women Jousters - they come across as so infantile for a character who has faced and grown so much in the first three novels. It's not until much later in the book that he's forced to examine any of his views, and I'm not completely convin
Aelvana
In a word: cheese. Though that's hardly surprising; the real question is how tolerable it is. I hadn't noticed too many similarities beforehand, but in this book, the gods make a little more of a showing, and it's blatantly obvious they're based on Egyptian gods. Not the gods themselves, but so close that every time I see "Haras" I'm thinking to myself "She spelled it wrong again." I would have much preferred she use the original Egyptian gods or made up new ones with different symbolism or myth ...more
Latharia
For the end to an entire series, it was a disappointment, but I did enjoy the characters & the book, so it's still okay. *shrug* I've just seen the author write so much better novels than this one, by comparison, it's pretty dull. I was 80% through it, still waiting for the plotline to develop, and then all the action took place in the last 30 pages! I think I might have been better off just stopping at book #3 of 4 & making up my own ending!
Crystal
I find Mercedes Lackey to be something of a 50% hit-or-miss author. She exhausted her 50% awesome in the first two books, and Aerie is absolutely awful.

Villains in this series have become more and more faceless as time goes on. Khefti was an antagonist you knew something about and loved to hate; you cheered when things went wrong for him, you rooted for his enemies, and you loved Ari for beating him down. I frankly never found much out about the Magi, except for the atrocities they committed; an
Birgit
The final volume in the Jouster series finds our friends preparing for the final battle, after realising that they are all pawns in a greater game between the Gods.
Mrs Lackey finishes her Jouster series in an epic battle between good and evil, testing the honour and friendship and determination of both humans and dragons.
This is one of the best series I have read, equal to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider of Pern books - with both of them, I felt there should be more after I read the last one - bu
Omly
As the 4th and final book in the Dragon Jousters series, I had been mildly looking forward to this book. Mercedes Lackey is always a very comfortable read, perfect for when I just want some slightly fluffy fantasy.

I was a bit disappointed by how this one developed. It moved very slowly for most of it, which was ok, but then it rushed any sort of tension and resolution into the last few pages. I would say that before that was all character development, but in the end the characters did not seem m
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 27, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is the fourth and concluding book in the Dragon Jouster's series that began with Joust and continues in Alta and Sanctuary, and you should definitely read those first.

The series has appealing characters in an unusual setting, a milieu reminiscent of Ancient Egypt rather than Medieval Europe as in much of fantasy. The central character, Kiron, has a strong arc in what is essentially a coming of age tale, from serf in the first book to someone here who is a leader among his people. I also li
Tiffany
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy adult/Pern Readers/Mercedes Lackey fans
Recommended to Tiffany by: Mercedes Lackey fan already
I LOVE MERCEDES LACKEY! So this might be a biased review, but I love the creative worlds she creates. This series is attempt to give the readers another Dragon World other than Pern.(Note: I LOVE Anne McCaffrey Too. No 'Dis on Pern intended. But it's nice to see another Dragon World.)
This world is more of a Middle Eastern feel to it, with the desert descriptions for one kingdom and the more lush kingdom North. It reminded me a bit of Upper and Lower Ancient Egypt.
There is the care of hatching fr
Mav
Joana
Aerie is the final book in Mercedes Lackey’s Dragon Jousters series. After the culmination of events in Sanctuary it seems hard to believe that there would be any way for the story to really continue without it seemingly going on and on forever without end, somewhat akin to daytime television. Lackey does a nice job of of tying up all of the loose ends and unfinished thoughts of the previous three books.

Aerie is set approximately a year (or so) after the events of Sanctuary. Ari and Nofret are t
Aerine
Well, last book could have ended the series just fine, however, this book didn't detract from the series as a whole. I was a bit frustrated at the beginning, when all that had been accomplished seemed to fall apart for foolishness, but, it all worked out, and the monster in the closet was much larger than in the first three books, but the heroes were all larger than life as well.
Elizabeth
Mixed feelings about this book. There were a lot of good/exciting things going on but there were some things that were really making me mad. First, I love the imagery of the final battle scene. I get images of some epic Greek battle with both gods and mortals fighting for power. I hate the character Aket-ten. She is a whiney, entiteled b**ch. I am so pissed that she didn't get dumped to the curb. Jeez, I was dreading any scene with her in it. She needs to be knocked down a peg or two. I wish mor ...more
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
This was a nice conclusion to the Dragon Jousters series. I thought book 3 was the end but left a few questions unanswered. I thought about it and realized why I like these books so much. Ms. Lackey, like Ms. McCaffrey, creates an unlikely hero who fights hard to overcome adversity. The moral lessons of right versus wrong, good versus evil is appealing. What is also appealing is how not everyone is evil.

Sometimes people blindly fall without question. The internal wrestling some of the character
E_bookpushers
The first part of this book was decent. I wonder how much of the tension between the star-crossed lovers was the result of their enemy and how much was simply people trying to find their place in life. Now that things have calmed down all the non-essential annoyances and habits returned.

I didn't quite see the reason for the particular enemy and the various Gods mentioned unless it was to tie this closer to Egypt mythology or to give a reason to clean up the mess involving Kiron, Peri, Kiron's m
Trixie
The last and best story in my opinion. Everything comes to an epic war against an unspeakable evil and ladies ride dragons. Yes. Yes to all.
Tim Bruns
Aerie

This is the last book in the joust series by Mercedes Lackey. This book was a good read. The only thing is a lot of the character names were close to the same. As you like it and Aerie come together in that both books the story is on people fleeing from their countries due to an evil. Aerie is set in a lost civilization found by those fleeing the magi an evil group of sorcerers out to kill the innocent people of Alta because the enemy country of tia lies up river and as the magi flood Tia o
Tess Pender
Not one of her best - okay, but she normally does much better!
Minh
The Jouster series was one that I used to really enjoy, but I've been spoiled by the Temeraire series in recent times. It's also been at least 1.5 years since I've read a jouster novel and it took me at least 25% of the novel to begin remembering events and people.

My biggest criticism about the novel is probably the way Lackey tends to handle antagonists. Confrontations seem to build during the storyline only to fizzle out towards the end after a long speech from the main character. That said,
Debbie
I had mixed feelings about this book. As with Lackey's latest books, they end much stronger than they begin. I thought the character interactions in this installment of her Jouster series was much weaker than they were before, and in some cases, seemed very off. I couldn't believe Kiron's mother, nor the romance between him and Aket-ten. Still, the book managed to somewhat redeem itself with the epic battle scenes at the end. I loved this series when it first started but I had to force myself to ...more
Danielle
As the series progressed, my liking of Aket-ten diminished very quickly. In the book Alta, I liked her and enjoyed her part in the story. In Sanctuary, her attitude shift and 'self-impowerment,' stubborness, and 'individualism' really got on my nerves because she tended to be hot-headed and unreasonable as a result. From the get-go in Aerie, I disliked her. As soon as the focus shifted to her in the narration, I became unhappy. Overall the book was good and my problem really lies solely with Ake ...more
EJ
Bianca Muller
the battle at the end is a bit rushed. you'd think there would be more written about this final battle with the greatest evil ever blah blah blah. but no...
Davina Becker
I am disappointed with this book. The first three books in this series were page turners. I am not slogging through this one. Mercedes Lackey did not write desert fantasy well. She does better in city or lush, green foresty or marshy settings. The main characters who had such a great romance in the second and third books are now being written as a competitive duo to create "tension". I would have prefer the characters to have stayed true to themselves.
Tammy
The final installation of the Dragon Jousters series is similar to the one before it, Sanctuary, in that, it develops the civilization Kiron and company are building as a middle ground of sorts between Tia and Alta. Although a nice, quick read, it wasn't all that exciting, and the final, anticipated, epic battle at the end was a bit weird for me. Of the four books, I feel Joust was the best with Alta as a worthy successor.
Lizzie Buckley
A little dissapointing place to end, she definatly has room to write another book from this series without readers feeling as if the story is repetitive. I would love to see more character devolopment, and how our main characters are living. I feel like ive been led to a closed door, with no way to open it and continue the journey.

Other than the ending, a great book filled with action and drama.
Caitlin (Ayashi)
This book just felt a little weird and tacked on compared to the others. The "drama" with the girl was weird and out of place. The story itself had a whole lot of setup - so much so that the actual plot didn't kick in until the book was nearly over.

I enjoyed reading about the characters again and seeing this world again, but as a series so far it would have been better if it ended on book 3.
Speedtribes
Entertaining set of cookie cutter cliches set to a formula that doesn't try to transcend itself. It was schlocky guilty entertainment up until the part, depressingly, where I could easily tell which character/s would die because they're somewhat more ambiguous and alone than the others. Still moral and preachy but at least not as bad as the Storm Warning books. It still pisses me off, though.
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • The Skies of Pern (Pern, #16)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Mirror Prince
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon's Heart (The Pit Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Exiles' Return (Ghatti's Tale, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)

“Peri went to the window, gesturing out at the dragons, perched and flying, everywhere. "Safe, true, but how boring! How confining! How sad! How could that compare with this? And what is safe? You were not safe on your little farm. War came to you and took all your safety away! If I am to be in this world, I want more than to be a hound upon the game board, tucked away in a corner until the jackals come and sweep all away!” 3 likes