Steve Rogers: Super Soldier

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier (Captain America Marvel Comics)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Steve Rogers was America's first Super-Soldier - Captain America - and he's fought for his country since World War II. Now a face from the past reappears, a woman that cannot be alive because Steve watched her die! Steve has fought for so long, and lost so much -- is his past coming back to haunt him now? Or could this be the plot of an old enemy who controls nearly everyt...more
Published February 2nd 2011 by Marvel

Kemper
There’s a comic called Marvel Zombies where the superheroes of the Marvel universe have been re-imagined as flesh eating undead monsters. I don’t know why they bothered. It seems redundant to have a series dedicated solely to the characters being zombies when half of them have already come back from the dead in their regular comics.

I haven’t gotten to the story of how original Captain America, Steve Rogers, returned yet, but apparently he’s leaving the official Captain America name and outfit to...more
Nikki
I have a soft spot approximately two miles wide for MCU Steve, before he gets the serum. It's probably something vaguely maternal about wanting to protect him, but either way, I think he's precious. There's a bit of that here, but not that much. It's a fun little story, even disconnected from the other stuff going on around it (like the issues of Steve's death/resurrection, Bucky as Cap), but it isn't very substantial. There were some bits of Cap canon that I wasn't aware of -- Anita Glass, most...more
Mike
Writing starts off pretty cheesy - has Brubaker stretched himself too thin? Has he lost his edge? Doesn't get any better either. Villain is definitely C-list, doesn't even have me as worried as bad as a 60's Batman TV show villain. Art is good (better than I could ever draw) but looks cartooney not realistic. Prolly accounts for a little of the distance I feel from the story. Oh well, hope Brubaker finds his muse real soon.
Kurt
In this miniseries, Brubaker takes Steve Rogers through the wringer that's usually reserved for Daredevil. Every few years, Daredevil writers will write a story where a villain (or just a constellation of circumstances) tears apart the hero from every angle that touches something or someone he loves, and the raw essence who is left claws his way back up.

Brubaker, oddly enough, didn't go that route with Matt Murdock, who he wrote shortly before putting together this terrific Steve Rogers story, b...more
Peter Derk
What really makes Steve Rogers Captain America?

Some might say that it's not the crazy steroid stuff coursing through his veins, but his spirit.

I would probably say that the mega steroids that enhance every single aspect of his physicality probably have something to do with it. I mean, come on. Spider-Man without the spider bite? Daredevil without the toxic waste spill?

I have to say, it's always weird when superheroes do those Very Special Issues where they do things like tell kids not to take d...more
Jasmine
I want to like this more than I do. I dig the artwork and I love Cap and I love Steve Rogers, and the whole "making lots of Caps" could've been really interesting. I wanted more exploration on why Cap didn't want the serum being sold. What makes him Cap beyond the serum. So many things they could've gone into, but didn't! This was a fun comic book, but I guess I just prefer my comics philosophical because I have no sense of humour.
Kate
I really love Brubaker's Cap and I really love Brubaker's Steve. This comic emphasized that Steve doesn't just kick ass as Captain America, he kicks ass as Steve Rogers too.

The plot is a little predictable at points, but the wonderful art makes up for it.
James
I really enjoyed this. There was an interesting plot that seems to be wrapped up nicely in the end, but then is left open for more... The inclusion of the reprint of Captain America # 1 was great.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Sin ser torpe ni aburrida, la miniserie de Brubaker poco aporta al personaje, resultando un divertimento ameno e insustancial que recuerda las caricaturas de acción. Para pasar el rato.
Astrid
Steve Rogers was a hero long before the Super Soldier Serum, and I love seeing that acknowledged and explored. It's not the serum or the tights that make him special, but his heart and ideology. While this mini-series touched on that, and made for a fun and quick read, I feel like the story's potential wasn't maximized. I love that we got to see Steve kick in all his 90-pound glory just as well as he manages to do so in his serum-induced body; however, I'm disappointed that he got transformed ba...more
John
This ended up being much better than I expected - a great spy thriller with Cap history to boot. And the art was a Gary a frank esque, which is always a good thing
Sean
This certainly isn’t groundbreaking by any means but if you’re interested in a straight forward Captain America story, this is for you. Yes, technically, Steve Rogers isn’t Cap in this story but he’s still the same man. Ed Brubaker has a really good feel for Rogers as a character and the art by Dale Eaglesham is really good. While the villain, and plot are a little hokey it fits the story well. This was a fun book that reminded me of years past. Good stuff!

Federiken Masters
Feb 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y del personaje
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Por ahora, lo más flojito que leí del Capi de Brubaker. Y no es malo, eh, (aunque tampoco me pareció taaaan bueno lo anterior), pero sí me sonó bastante innecesario durante la mayor parte del tomo. Además, ya se sabía que esta "reconversión" de Steve Rogers tampoco iba a durar mucho, así que en ningún momento llegué a creerme que estaba frente a un nuevo comienzo ni ningún bolazo por el estilo. Pasable y masticable, punto.
arjuna
A fun read but nothing really to write home about. Perhaps because - even as a newbie - I'm not as attached to "Steve Rogers" as I am to "Captain America" per se, but it all seemed a little bit daft... Which is not to say it wasn't enjoyable, or well put together - it was, and very much in the tradition of daft spy films, books, telly etc, which I adore. Very Bigglesy in its way.
SA
Oh, Steve. It's hard coming back from the dead a second time! You have to re-evaluate stuff, and your feelings, and evil fighting with a different outfit!

This was great--I'm glad they gave Steve space to figure out what and who he wanted to be this time. And I like that he made his own choice, at the end of it. Steve!
Brent
Jul 09, 2013 Brent rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Marvel fans and the general audience for marvel
Recommended to Brent by: The Book Nook
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
I'm a big fan of artist Dale Eaglesham, who is in good from illustrating this exploit of Captain America, sans mask. This four-issue miniseries was worth the find and purchase from the bargain bin.
Nice twist end from author Brubaker, providing a setup for a future plot, some time to come.
Recommended.
Alex Sarll
Ed Brubaker's Captain America book started off as a brilliantly tense and smart political thriller. At some point before this spin-off, though, it just became a rather silly romp with the occasional illusion of depth.
Zoli
Another solid story from Ed Brubaker. I think some of his Cap story lines were much better though. This is some nice in-between-thing I'd say, though. Only the vintage reprint in this volume was unneccessary.
Shannon Appelcline
A story with nice connections to both the Captain’s origins and the Secret Avengers. It also does well for placing Rogers in a more soldier-like role.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Gary Lee
Brubaker is back writing Steve Rogers -- only he's not Captain America anymore, he's taken over for Nick Fury as head of SHIELD.
Sonic
It was ok, but I didn't like it. I expect more
a lot more from Brubaker.

Actually, it was not ok, it was lame.
Mely
Not crazy about the cartoonish art or the pulpish storyline, but it's interesting as potential setup.
Pturingan
Not bad for a short miniseries. Fun, fast-paced and with some interesting twists.
Bob Parks
Brief but iconic.
Stephen Mander
nice relaxing read
Marka
Marka marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
  • Journey Into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout
  • X-Factor: Heart Of Ice
  • Spider-Man: Matters of Life and Death
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 3
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping...more
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward Messiah Complex Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1