Start by marking “Boffinology: The Real Stories Behind Our Greatest Scientific Discoveries” as Want to Read:
Boffinology: The Real Stories Behind Our Greatest Scientific Discoveries

Boffinology: The Real Stories Behind Our Greatest Scientific Discoveries

Eureka! Discover the real stories behind the history of science
Published September 1st 2010 by John Murray Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Boffinology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boffinology

Ghada
Jan 18, 2011 Ghada rated it really liked it
Shelves: 52-books
An interesting book, with an interesting title!

Justin Pollard is a well known historian and writer. He also consults on movies to verify the historical accuracy of scenes and details presented in them. For example, he worked on “Alice in Wonderland”, “Elizabeth” and “Atonement”. Although he has written many books about history -specifically about events not commonly known- this was the first book of his that I have read.
The title instantly drew me (with the alluring key words being: Real Storie
Lee Penney
Apr 15, 2012 Lee Penney rated it liked it
I'm a fan of the series QI and Pollard works on the show, you can see the similarities in the book, where interesting facts have been trawled from history and presented in a series of bite-sized chunks. I've been slowly working my way through one of Pollard's other books: The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed, which is very similar, but focuses on more general history.

Boffinology focuses on 'the real stories behind our greatest scientific discoveries.' I love books about scienc
Mar Dixon
Sep 20, 2010 Mar Dixon rated it it was amazing
Ever since Justin Pollard mentioned that his newest book was going to be based on science discoveries, I knew it was going to brilliant and I wasn't wrong.

In Pollard-esque style, the book is filled with fascinating tales and stories behind what really happened in the science world and what really happened behind some of our most popular inventions.

Boffinology is filled with hidden gems of factual information that is both interesting and helpful in the understanding of how things work and why we
Rhona Crawford
Apr 01, 2016 Rhona Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - both entertaining and informative. Towards the end I started to lose focus, but I just think that I am scienced-out at this point: time for a good, old-fashioned novel!
Wilde Sky
Nov 05, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
This book contains a collection of pieces about some scientific discoveries and scientists.

Interesting in places but the writing was very flat / dry.
Hodder Books
Hodder Books rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Justin Pollard
Jun 22, 2011 Justin Pollard rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ylva
Ylva rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Shaun Ling
Shaun Ling rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Victor Meyer
Victor Meyer rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Clefable
Clefable rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Lili
Lili rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Csaba Molnar
Csaba Molnar rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Ravi Patnaik
Ravi Patnaik rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Clifton
Clifton rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
James
James rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2014
Janette
Janette rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Sami
Sami rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Sigursteinn Rúnarsson
Sigursteinn Rúnarsson rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Luellen
Luellen rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Ubaidah
Ubaidah rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2012
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Justin Pollard was born in Hertfordshire and educated at St. Albans School and Downing College, Cambridge where he was president of the Poohsticks Society.

Since then he has written nine books, a few articles for magazines like History Today, BBC History Magazine and the Idler and he is currently one of the writers of the BBC panel show QI.

He is one of the founders of Unbound - http://www.unbound.
More about Justin Pollard...