Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  574 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Illustrated with full-color lithographs, each page contains a proverb from Ben s Poor Richard s Almanac, along with a fascinating and detailed text on his life. Recommended in Laura Berquist Syllabus Grades 2 and 3 Author: Edgar D Aulaire Grade: 1-6 Pages: 48, Paperback Publisher: Beautiful Feet Books ISBN: 0-9643803-9-0
Published November 1st 1998 by Beautiful Feet Bks (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Benjamin Franklin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benjamin Franklin

Amy Lemley
This book is amazing. It is not for children with short attention spans, but it is an excellent and enjoyable read about Ben Franklin's life in a short to the point format, including humor and little known stories you don't often hear in school. The illustrations on each page are also very unique and antique-like. I loved reading the whole thing, text, illustrations, and quotes. I want to add this to my children's library!
Elise
I loved reading this book to my girls. This tells Benjamin Franklin's life story in a way that kids can understand. It focuses much on his young life including the conflict with his older brother that eventually forced Benjamin to move away from his family and try to make a life of his own. Franklin faced many, many disappointments in life, but he was resourceful and pressed on.

This book is beautifully illustrated. I especially appreciate the artwork when I think about the lithography process an...more
Eagle Watcher
Benjamin Franklin was born in1706 and was the youngest. He lived in Boston and wanted to be a writer from ages 10-11. Later in life, He married Debrah Pead. He was interested in in electricity so he performed an experiment to prove that electricity was in lighting. and existed with a kite and a key. since electricity is attracted to higher things, it hit the top of the kite then it hit the key and the electricity stopped.
Ebookwormy
We have been enamored with all the d'Aulaire books and this one on Benjamin Franklin is no exception. Colorful illustrations and lively text illuminate the life of a great American.

Pages alternate between full color and line drawings. We sometimes start by selecting a line drawing for each little to color while the book is read. Otherwise, following along with the pictures is a delight too.
Heather
The boys loved this book. It was always their first choice of which books to read in the day. The information was clear and interesting. The illustrations very d'Aulaire. We enjoyed reading the various sayings of Franklin's listed on each page and trying to figure out what they meant and how one would say them in modern English.

Excellent choice for learning about Benjamin Franklin.
Tracy
I read this with my daughter for school, but was surprised to learn a number of interesting things about one of our most famous statesmen. The illustrations were engaging -- both my daughter and I enjoyed all the small details on each page and the way the illustrator incorporated many of Franklin's sayings from his Poor Richard's Almanac into the pictures on each set of facing pages.
Contemplative
What a great read. Perfect for the early elementary child. We read this along with watching the series Liberty's Kids. We had many great discussions about the pursuit of liberty and why even Plato in his time said it's important to be educated and always ask questions so as not to fall victim to a sheeple mentality. Truth & wisdom that would serve us well even now...
Mindy
We tried to get into this book. The kids were ambivalent toward it and I didn't care to finish it either. In the meantime, my son has, on his own, dug right into Anne Rockwell's "Big George" about George Washington. The illustrations are more compelling and the text is more action-oriented.
Cindi
We read the Abraham Lincoln book by the d'Aulaires and were impressed, so we decided to read about Benjamin Franklin too. It was wonderful to read about his part in American history with the kids. Lots of detail!
Lisa
All these books are visually beautiful and well written and an excellent introduction to the character
Lindy
Well written. These books receive rave reviews in the homeschool community, but my kids have yet to be enchanted with them.

Anna
Great children's author, beautiful pictures, real history written in a conversational tone perfect for children.
Megan B
So far, so great. I absolutely love these D'Aulaire books. What treasures.
Meredith Henning
Another great D'Aulaire!
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Tree in the Trail
  • Joan of Arc
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • George Washington's World
  • Child's History of the World
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Trial and Triumph
  • The Courage of Sarah Noble
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • The Aesop for Children
  • The King of the Golden River
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths Abraham Lincoln Leif the Lucky George Washington