Start by marking “Leif the Lucky” as Want to Read:
Leif the Lucky

Leif the Lucky

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Book by Daulaire, Ingri, D'Aulaire, Edgar Parin
Published January 1st 1995 by Beautiful Feet Books (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Leif the Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leif the Lucky

We finished this today and I was told it was "really super boring". Some days I just want to send them to public school!

But the other son quickly jumped in and said it wasn't boring, but really cool. Well, I liked it. I thought it well written and engaging. The illustrations were excellent and each page had either a large colored picture or a smaller brown or black ink drawing.

We learned a lot and tracked their journeys on a map. Even though it "was boring" they were able to tell me a lot about
Love to reread these books from the d'Aulaire's and Beautiful Feet.
Hanne Winter
Yes it's a kids' book, and yes it is wonderful and endearing. I'm fortunate enough to own a couple of the d'Aulaires' books and this one is no exception to the trend of intricate and gorgeous illustrations. Were I to ever raise children, this one would hands down be in the bedtime rotation. Often.
I really like this author's approach to children's literature because she combines great details and story in long pages of the 50+page book but also includes beautiful illustrations that make it come alive for readers young and old. It is a great transition from picture books to chapter stories for elementary readers and gives great details about Leif Erikson a Norwegian explorer who discovered the coast of Canada around 1000 AD.

I also really love her book on Lincoln. Great for read aloud to al
Another well-done book by the D'Aulaires. I just can't get enough of these guys!

Leif is the son of Erik the Red, a famous Viking. Erik has a hard time getting along with his fellow Vikings and is kicked out of Norway. He moves to Iceland but it is too crowded for him, so he strikes out to find a new unexplored land where there can be lots of space between neighbors. He and some of his followers eventually make it to Greenland and settle there.

Some visitors that got lost in a fog accidentally s
You cannot go wrong with the D'Aulaire's and this work is no exception. Beautiful art and compelling text bring the world of the Vikings, with it's beauty and grit, to life. The attention to detail in creating a Norse feel to the entire work is admirable. A pleasure for an adult to share with a child. Early elementary students may find it long winded and worthy of a couple sittings, but it is worth it. Recommended for study of the time period.
Part of our Beautiful Feet literature-based curriculum. Loved the book and the art work. Though, I had heard of the Vikings, I had never heard the story of Leif the Lucky and his discovery of the New World around 1000 AD.
This book had a will thought out story plot, especially for a children's book. Also, the read is long and tells of about 4 stories all in one.
Loved the beautiful illustrations and written details in this story of Leif Erickson's journeys. Appropriate for grades 3-7.
We read this as a living history book to expand our study of the vikings. It was an excellent resource.
Nicely illustrated; makes a good companion to Mary Pope Osborne's Favorite Norse Myths.
Read this one while studying the Vikings in history. Lined up well with the history book.
4.5 stars! Very thorough and well-written. Taken right from the sagas--
The only negative I can say is I wish more of the illustrations were in color.
Mar 01, 2013 Michiel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children interested in history and adventure
Recommended to Michiel by: Mater Amibilis
This one I read along with younger son. I would stay a page or two ahead of him, so that I could be sure he was comprehending the material. Although the book is slender and has lots of pictures, which is why I'm sure that he chose it, it is more advanced than it looks. The book has a rich vocabulary, and the word choices match the fact that this is very old history being told.

The pictures are marvellous, and the story is good, though not quite as good as others by the same author. My son enjoyed
Nevada Libert
i liked this book alot.
We have really enjoyed all of the books and art that we have read by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire. Leif the Lucky was no exception. Even though there is surely some fiction to be weaved into these stories, it's also nice to read an entertaining book that helps us learn more about history. This one was especially fun for me since I have ancestors who came from Norway. I got to talk to the kids about how each generation carried a different last name, making family history tricky!
my son loved it!!!
It's a very good story and actually funny at points too. They arrived at Newfoundland and called it Vinland and they Ballin Island and called it Stone-Slabland. In Vinland they found Native Americans (or native Newfloundlanders) and made friends with the Native Americans but the natives got angry at them once and there was a big black ball thing that they were shooting at the Norsemen.
The D'Aulaires never fail. Their books are always imaginatively illustrated and beautifully well told. The writing deeply respects the child reader and speaks to them in a voice which respects their intellect and their natural curiosity. The books are always wholesome and safe without being pedantic.

This one is a real jem. We could not put it down.
All three of my children loved this book so I may have to obtain our own copy. Went very well with our Mystery of History lesson on Leif - my children definitely agree that it wasn't Leif who was lucky but those he saved from drowning. They were also very intrigued by the beautiful illustrations!
This is part of our history curriculum this year. The kids really enjoyed the story. The illustrations are great with some color pages and some just black and white. While I thought the kids might not like that...they actually thought it was "cool".
All the books in this series are simply written, with beautiful illustrations, and from a Christian viewpoint. They're an excellent way to teach about our country's beginnings. Pocahontas was probably our favorite.
Melissa E
We are using the D'Aulaire history books as part of our home school curriculum and my kids are GLUED to the stories. Beautiful illustrations and language!
Lara Lleverino
Beautiful artwork and wonderfully descriptive writing! After reading about the Vikings we read this book for a second time and loved it all over again.
Fun illustrations, too bad more weren't in color. My kids loved it, and it was an exciting tale, albeit somewhat rambling.
David McGuire
Great, simple book explaining the basics of Leif the Lucky, and, as always, with the d'Aulaire's fantastic illustrations.
Interesting and beautifully illustrated book about the Vikings discoveries in Greenland and North America.
Explains the religious background and explorations of the early Norsemen. Good read and pictures too.
Dawn Smith
Sep 08, 2007 Dawn Smith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids and history lovers
This is a great and TRUE viking adventure! Joshua and I both learned alot! Awesome artwork!
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Tree in the Trail
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • The Little Duke
  • Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
  • This Country of Ours
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah