Alice in Blunderland

Alice in Blunderland (Alice Prequels #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  711 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Can someone die of embarrassment? Everything seems to go wrong for Alice in fourth grade -- whether it's being seen in her underpants by Donald Sheavers from next door, or saying dumb things in class, or getting trapped in her own snow cave, or getting a vitamin pill stuck up her nose. Worst of all, she's managed to get her brother, Lester, really mad at her -- and gotten...more
Published March 22nd 2005 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Blunderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Blunderland

Cordelia Dinsmore
This was my first Alice book. I happened to love it, and that's why I gave it a five star rating. The author has totally nailed the voice of a 9 yo girl who is not world wise, and still has the innocence of a well-loved child. I loved the sense of humor in the book, especially the way the author so realistically portrayed the fourth graders as they learned about the growth of babies from the earliest stages. I also loved Alice's naivete in regards to her older brother. Of course she believed eve...more
Ashley
I think this book teaches children:
1) Life experiences often times builds character.
In the book, Alice learns a lot more about life and experiences some more embarrassing moments that build character.
2) Sometimes, a trial is a blessing in disguise.
In the book, Alice and her brother set aside their differences to unite for a greater good.
Miri
I wish I wasn't trying to read as wide a variety of junior fiction as I can right now, because these books make me want to just put down everything else until I've finished the whole series. I really like Alice.
Molly the Librarian
Alice McKinley is back in action and ready to begin fourth grade in the second installment of the series. Unfortunately for her, it seems like fourth grade might be even tougher for her than third—she just can’t seem to stop making blunders!

Every other day it seems like Alice is knee-deep in humiliation—getting buried in a collapsed snow cave, believing her big brother Lester’s ridiculous lies, having to sing in front of the whole class even though she can’t carry a tune, and reenacting romantic...more
Samantha
This is probably more of a 3.5 because it's pretty good. Alice is in 4th grade and her year is marked by a lie that she takes seriously which angers Lester. Alice's brother Lester likes a girl named Lisa and one night while doing dishes Lester confides in Alice about Lisa's troubled home life. Alice and her friends band together and save money and collect items for a care package so as to help Lisa escape her situation, but what Alice doesn't know is that Lisa actually has a pretty nice home lif...more
Lorry
Alice weathers the embarrassments of fourth grade and older brothers in book #2 (counting from the prequels) of the Alice series.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Plan on reading full series will write review then.
Julie
Cute realistic fiction. It's no "Shiloh."
Kristine Pratt
In a world full of books about not fitting in and doing stupid embarrassing things, Alice has to be my absolute favorite. Sure there's other books out there with a whole slew of crazy things happening to one kid, but Alice is like all of us. Alice is REAL and the things that happen are just the kinds of things that you're likely to do (or probably did at her age).

Great series!
Stephanie E
I read this book a long time ago, but I still remember it. It's about a girl named Alice and her father and older brother, Lester. Her mother died when she was very little and she doesn't remember much about her mother. It was a pretty good book but I don't recommend this book of the series for people over 13 or 14. Maybe some of the other books where Alice is older. =]
Talia
Fourth grader Alice has the best of intentions, but she’s also really gullible. Especially when it comes to her teasing older brother, where Alice believes most of what comes out of Lester’s mouth, leading to some huge problems.

Another cute prequel to the Alice series.
Emma (Hopeful Happiness)
Another funny and cute Alice book! Alice learns a lot more about life and experiences some more embarrassing moments that build character. There were a couple of moments where I actually couldn't help but chuckle. This is a great book and you should check it out!
Lillian
I wouldn't say this is my FAVORITE Alice book but it feels weird to give it anything BUT a 5/5! This is a solid Alice book! Actually it's a good book in GENERAL. If I have kids, I am SO MAKING THEM READ THESE BOOKS.
gwen
These are so sweet. Fourth-grade Alice is as adorable as third-grade Alice. I think I'm going to start skipping around in the series, at least to the YA installments, but I'm happy these were recommended to me.
10-11 Isabella
This book was okay but not my favorite. It was about a girls who is a little quirky but it just wasn't that interesting. Nothing happened that really sucked me into the story. It did not hook me in.
Edward Creter
Every bit as good in 4th grade as the predecessor when she went to 3rd, with a promise of better things to come, and I'm new to this series, yet I fel like I'm home with all these characters.
Kendra
i LOVE this book.Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is awsome<3 Most books have not real world problem. but her books are kids my age having problems like their brother not there to open the door. it so so good
Kathrine
Alice is a blunderbuss in this book!!!!!!! Especially when it comes to her brothers lies!!! She is goofy, funny and a blunderbuss!!!!! So read it to find out what silly things she does.
Sonia Schoenfield
My daughter liked this so much she immediately read the next ones in the series. This strikes me as an updated version of Ramona. Would recommend to any fourth-grader.
Caroline
Alice is blundering along with her pals Donald and Rosalind, her dad and brother Lester (who takes advantage of her gullibility) and her cat Oatmeal.
Lisa
Not as charming as the first Alice prequel, but it was a still a fun read. Naylor has a knack for capturing the voice and spirit of a 4th grade girl.
Megan
This book was pretty easy and quick for me. It was good and had a nice ending. I don't have much to say about it except that it was a good book.
Jess
This book is amazingly funny young-girl chick-lit. What a great prequel to a great series...Alice is adorkable, and totally relatable.
Kim
Jun 27, 2007 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens
Has mortifying events! Be ready to feel the pain of Alice. Phyllis, again, gets another standing ovation. At least from me.
Shereen
junky, but I've got to take a break from the classics and newberies and the recommendeds sometimes!
Sandra Barrios
It was soooooo great that today I went to the library and got more books of Alice
Emma
Really not a good book for kids ages 10-12. but probably okay for kids who are 13 +.
Missy
Great book! It's ridiculous, sad, funny, weird, and lovable all at the same time!
Koqua
it was okay. alice always believes what he brother tells her.
  • The Year of the Rat
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Anastasia at This Address (Anastasia Krupnik, #8)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • The Clique Collection (The Clique, #1-3)
  • Pure Dead Batty (Pure Dead #5)
  • George and Martha Round and Round
  • Just Another Day in My Insanely Real Life
  • Sophie The Awesome
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel [Divided By] 1 Dog = Chaos
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • The Loser List
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo...more
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)