Start by marking “Trading with the Enemy” as Want to Read:
Trading with the Enemy

Trading with the Enemy

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Havana knew me by my shoes,” begins Tom Miller’s lively and entertaining account of his sojourn for more than eight months traveling through Cuba, mixing with its literati and black marketers, its cane cutters and cigar rollers. Granted unprecedented access to travel throughout the country, the author presents us with a rare insight into one of the world’s only Communist c ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Basic Books (first published November 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Trading with the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading with the Enemy

Darlene
Oct 05, 2011 Darlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have stalled on page 87. An interesting but less than riveting account of Havana's culture and administrative politics under Castro's reign in the late 1980s. I switched gears and enjoyed the pro-Castro biopic "Fidel" (2002), and have begun the absurdly entertaining "Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene. . . . Still wading through, as each book's repetition of key events helps me retain an enlarging grasp of island history. . . So many books, so little time . . . I am stopping on page 114. Cuba ...more
John
Oct 02, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating glimpse of life in Castro's Cuba by my favorite travel author. Miller lived in Cuba for a year and presents a very fair and balanced view of life on the island and profiles of many Cuban people. Includes some hilarious Castro jokes, too. If you want to understand what present-day Cuba is like, this is the book.
Patrick McCoy
Mar 22, 2015 Patrick McCoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
As with all good travel books, the author, Tom Miller, has done extensive research about Cuba and refers to the research he has done throughout Trading With the Enemy (1996). The introduction to he paperback written in 2008 puts his situation into a more contemporary perspective, but history marches on and I found it most useful for the background information and perspective it gives about Cuba. Miller also makes an effort to get outside of Havana and those sections are among his best in the boo ...more
Deann Alford
Jan 27, 2014 Deann Alford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want this book to end. It's beautifully written, subtly funny, full of keen observations on a mysterious, forbidden place.
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
An extremely balanced book on year 32 of the revolution in Cuba. This is Tom Miller's account of eight months in Cuba during the special period. A wonderfully balanced, unbiased book it is mainly a travelogue about people rather than the place itself.
As the author puts it, it is about seeing, 'Cuba from the inside, the way it would like to be seen from the outside.

I enjoyed the book except for the parts where he obsessively describes the baseball games. This, I feel slowed down the momentum.
As
Hugo
Great travel book to read prior heading to Cuba as it is full of quotes and the results of the author's research, as well as during a stay on the island to compare his 90's perspective with a contemporary one. I enjoyed the Castro's jokes, the interviews with the locals, the descriptions of the cities and countryside, but I'm not a baseball fan so the fifth part of the book was superficial to me (it's already long enough).

As 2016, not much as changed from he author's accounts in "Castro's Cuba".
Georgie
A fascinating book for anyone who has visited Cuba. It's somewhat outdated and lots has changed in Cuba, but it's still valuable.
David
Nov 14, 2007 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Visitors to Cuba
Shelves:
My roommate in Cuba had found this book on the street in New York City a few months before we met in Havana, he seemed to think there was a lot of meaning in this random find. I don't know if I would agree that it was fate or destiny, but this was a great read.

There is a unique pleasure in reading about someone's journey while you have a similar experience and the author acurately captures the atmosphere.
Leland
Mar 25, 2009 Leland marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A much better read once you've visited the country. I bought this before my trip to Cuba, hoping it would give me good insights before I left. I ended up struggling to stay with it, and eventually put it down. I've since picked it up, and enjoy it much more now that I'm familiar with the places, people and life he describes.
Agnes Mack
Aug 25, 2011 Agnes Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: socialism
This is by far the most balanced book I've read about Cuba. Basically, Tom traveled through Cuba for around 8 months and told the stories of hundreds of folks he met - with a ton of varying views. He seemed to be a pretty non-biased bystander and effectively portrayed all sides of the debate.
Agnes Mack
Aug 29, 2010 Agnes Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: socialism
Nico Luchsinger
Dec 27, 2013 Nico Luchsinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
insightful account of a journalist's travels through Cuba during the "Special Period" in the early 90ies. Read it immediately after returning from Cuba in 2013, which made for an interesting comparison on how the country has changed, and how it hasn't.
Daniel
Aug 20, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyed reading this, especially in Cuba. Some parts were great and some very dull, but that seems to be the case for travel writing. The Nitza interview and party billboards were my highlights, hated all the baseball stuff.
Llew
May 31, 2010 Llew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of present day Cuba and the oddities of its social structure. It's attempt to describe the situation without context comes across as flawed when it gets into the politics of it all.
Dick
Aug 16, 2012 Dick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His description of baseball played on the coast of Baraocca......by kids....pure joy! The descriptions will be dancing in my dreams...until Oct...and then they will become mine.
Margery
Jul 02, 2013 Margery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book about Cuba I have read so far.
Mkb
Apr 24, 2013 Mkb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1990's Cuba
Grit Fiedler
Grit Fiedler marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
Tom James
Tom James rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kate Brady
Kate Brady rated it it was ok
Nils Riess
Nils Riess marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Kristin Huddleston
Kristin Huddleston marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Denis Verdecia
Denis Verdecia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cuba Diaries: An American Housewife in Havana
  • Dancing With Cuba
  • The People's Guide to Mexico
  • Beyond Belief: Islamic Excursions Among the Converted Peoples
  • Indonesia (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Reef Fish Identification: Florida Caribbean Bahamas
  • Maiden Voyages: Writings of Women Travelers
  • The Life of a Geisha
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today
  • Very Thai: Everyday Popular Culture
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2002
  • Customs of the World: Using Cultural Intelligence to Adapt, Wherever You Are
  • Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba: The Biography of a Cause
  • Cold: Extreme Adventures at the Lowest Temperatures on Earth
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2009
Tom Miller has been writing about the American Southwest and Latin America for more than three decades. His ten books include The Panama Hat Trail, which follows the making and marketing of one Panama hat, and Trading with the Enemy, which Lonely Planet says "may be the best travel book about Cuba ever written." Miller began his journalism career in the underground press of the late '60s and early ...more
More about Tom Miller...