Start by marking “Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love ( The Dresden Files, #11.5, Outlander, #8.5, Kushiel's Legacy, #1.5, Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5)” as Want to Read:

Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,876 ratings  ·  405 reviews
IN this star-studded cross-genre anthology, seventeen of the greatest modern authors of fantasy, science fiction, and romance explore the borderlands of their genres with brand-new tales of ill-fated love. From zombie-infested woods in a postapocalyptic America to faery-haunted rural fields in eighteenth- century England, from the kingdoms of high fantasy to the alien worl ...more
Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 658 pages
Published November 16th 2010 by Gallery Books

Lisa Wolf
I picked up "Songs of Love and Death" specifically to read the new story by Diana Gabaldon ("A Leaf on the Wind of All Saint's"), and it was certainly worth it! "Leaf" is a fantastic addition to Gabaldon's works in the Outlander series. Focusing on a character we've previously heard about but never met, this story explores a plot point introduced in the 7th book in the series, Echo in the Bone. Without going into detail, in order to avoid spoilers, all I can say is that Gabaldon's fans MUST read ...more
Nikki
I only read selected stories from Songs of Love and Death, because some of the authors or the first pages didn't appeal. (For example, me and Jim Butcher don't get on very well. Everyone else says the misogyny is just Harry Dresden and is part of his character and it doesn't come from Jim Butcher: it still makes me feel profoundly uncomfortable.)

So, of the ones I read, the first was Jo Beverley's 'The Marrying Maid'. I liked the idea, especially the link to the Robin Hood legend. It could've bee
Kris
I want to savor these stories little by little because they are so darn good but I find myself rushing through them needing to know what happened next!! I find this anthology so far to be quite fascinating and I am enjoying myself immensely reading through the creative and varied voices within these 'songs'.

JACQUELINE CAREY: this was the first story that I chose - and quite purposefully, at that. It was of Anafiel Delunay, who was once known as Anafiel de Montreve, a poet that was good enough to
Donna
As with any anthology, this is a mixed bag.

The high points were Carrie Vaughn's "Rooftops" (a nicely-paced story about a playwright whose life changes after she's saved by a superhero) and Neil Gaiman's "The Thing About Cassandra" (an imaginative story about a man coming across a lie from his past). I also enjoyed Robin Hobb's return to the Six Duchies in "Blue Boots" and the gritty-but-satisfying "Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover.

Some of the other stories were well-written or had interesting moments,
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The moment I heard the words ‘Outlander spinoff’, I was sold. Diana Gabaldon’s epic Outlander series is probably my all time favorite series ever in any genre. The other authors who I love in this anthology like Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn, and Yasmine Galenorn are just icing on the cake.

“Love Hurts” by Jim Butcher (a Harry Dresden story)

In addition to the main series, I have now read several short stories starring the Wizard P.I. Harry Dresden and I thi
Lynne Perednia
This new cross-genre anthology purports to be an "all original" collection of tales of star-crossed lovers written by fantasy, romance, horror and crime authors. The all-original tag doesn't hold up with the first story, Jim Butcher's "Love Hurts", in which Dresden and a friend fall victim to a spell. It's the same setup seen in hundreds of TV shows in which characters flirt with, or are tricked into thinking, they are in love and go back to their old ways by story's end.

The introduction is odd
Bonnie
The 4 star rating is based solely upon the short story “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows” written by Diana Gabaldon!

When I read on Diana's website that not only did she have a short story published in "Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love" but that it was a story about Roger! In "An Echo in the Bone" Diana Gabaldon generated yet another mystery that had to do with Roger's parents.

I really enjoyed this even though it only made me want more... it did answer the questi
Monica
I really enjoyed this anthology and am going to post some of the specifics about a few of the stories, but not all of them, that would make for an incredibly long review. I enjoyed the theme of this anthology (being star-crossed lovers) and I enjoyed meeting new characters and learning things about some of my favorite characters I did not know. I hope you enjoy it as well....

Love Hurts by: Jim Butcher

This was a cute, short, pretty easy and flowing story. I found it a tad bit shocking because of
Brittany
Wow talk about your sucker punch to the stomach. I thought Martin and Dozois were just being irritating by holding Diana Gabaldon's story until last in the collection; like promising you cheesecake, but not until after you eat your whole dinner. But now I see why they did it. Nobody could have followed Gabaldon's story "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows." Not Peter Beagle or Neil Gaiman. Not anyone.

I'll review the whole book and then we can get back to "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows."

Toute
Lisa
I bought this book mainly for the Diana Gabaldon's short story about Roger MacKenzie's parents, which I loved and wished that it was longer. That story rated 4 stars but the rest of the stories, or rather, the ones that I read, rated 3. The ones I read and liked (3 stars) was:
'Love Hurts' by Jim Butcher - a Harry Dresden tale where he "battles with the secret desires of his heart" - it was okay, kinda felt flat to me, maybe because it was too short? Don't know.

'The Marrying Maid' by Jo Beverley
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois have collected a nice batch of all-new stories from an all-star cast in Songs of Love and Death. The theme is "star-crossed lovers," and as you might guess from the title, each tale is a love story, and many are death stories, too. Some are sad, some are sexy, and one or two are slightly sappy. Overall, I enjoyed the collection. Here's what you'll find in Songs of Love and Death:

-- "Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher may be th
Cheryl
Songs of Love and Death is the perfect anthology for every reader. It has a little bit of everything for everyone from paranormal, zombies, and favorite characters from series… as well as new stories from best selling authors. This anthology brings out the heavy hitters.

Mr. Jim Butcher brings his tough as nails Harry Dresden, a puzzling string of love pact murder cases in Love Hurts. Meet some magical sea creatures in Melinda M. Snodgrass’s The Wayfarer’s Advice. There are so many good stories
Virginia
I think the hardest part of anthologies is that it seems so long (because there are so many stories) and I feel as if I have to invest much more than I actually have to. Plus, there is nothing to keep me hooked between stories - vs a novel of this length, there is the driving desire to find out what happened.

I did enjoy most of the short stories and a few really stayed with me. (Some were a bit too creepy for me, though.) The standouts for me were:

Hurt Me by MLN Hanover
After the Blood by Marjor
Dina James
So many fantastic authors! I especially loved (and bought it just for) the Jacqueline Cary story. Utter brilliance. Being a Harry Dresden fan, I loved Jim Butcher's contribution as well, and Neil Gaiman's story was typical Neil brilliance. Highly recommended!
Linda I
This is a wonderful collection of short stories by some of todays hottest writers: Neil Gaiman, Diana Gabaldon, Jim Butcher, Jacqueline Carey, Marjorie M. Liu, and Carrie Vaughn, to name a few. Though I won't give a synopsis of each of the 17 stories included in this anthology, I do want to explain which are part of ongoing series. Jim Butchers "Love Hurts" is a Harry Dresden story. Jacqueline Carey's "You, and You Alone" is a Kushiel story (though it seemed more like an extract rather than a st ...more
Kate
Dec 01, 2010 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michelle Kelly, Margaret Ethridge
Well, this was the best compilation of short stories that I have ever read. I can really say that I truly adored every single one.

Love Hurts by Jim Butcher
This is a Dresden files story, and I really liked the way it was written. It was very clear and easy to follow, easy to get a mental image from descriptions. Maybe I'll read some Dresden FIles books now!

The Marrying Maid by Jo Beverly
Cute, cute, cute! I love how it was historical fantasy! I could totally read this to girlfriends at a girly sle
Izlinda
Zuleika
Overall

An anthology filled with 17 stories about star-crossed lovers. I enjoyed almost all stories and was introduced to a lot of new writers (I only knew maybe half of these authors before reading). There is a good mixture of different genres which I consider a pro, but I can understand why someone might consider it a con, in case they only end up liking only one or two stories/genres. But if you like (a touch of) fantasy and love stories, then I think you are good with the majority of the sto
Ryan
Assorted work by multiple writers and edited by George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois. Being familiar with multiple anthologies edited by Martin, I was instantaneously interested. I picked this up after misplacing my current read "Latro in the Mist" and figured it would be the perfect opportunity to carve through some shorts while I wait for its return and/or rediscovery.

They are all quick reads and as the title suggests, all are around the disasters that love and death can bring. Some are un
Sara
I have learned my lesson the hard way when it comes to anthologies so I was lucky to borrow this book from booksfree. I didn't read all the stories but if I come across it again from the library or rent it from booksfree again, I will try to read the rest.

I mainly got this book to read the Diana Gabaldon story, A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows which I gave 4 stars. Most people who have not read her Outlander books will not enjoy this story as much I don't think.

The other ones I read, I gave t
Jennifer  Redstreake-Geary
I would say about 2/3rds of the stories were fantastic! I wanted to read on and on and hated that they were ending and I had to start on to a new short story. Jim Butcher is, of course, fabulous. I love his stories that include Harry Dresden anyway. And Neil Gaiman is a genius, his short story "The Thing about Cassandra" was creepy and eery, but ooh soooo good in that awesome Gaiman way. My all time favorite Diana Gabaldon has a short in this as well, a cool little story about Roger's dad (if yo ...more
Jacquelyn
This is a really great collection of 17 short stories by different authors ranging from romance to sci-fi to horror, all of which are about "star-crossed lovers". The huge number of stories is both a gift and a curse, since I felt overwhelmed by how many stories I had left, but I also didn't feel bad about picking and choosing. Oh you like straight-up romance? There are a few of those. Aliens? Yup, that too. Fairy tales? Ghost stories? Superheroes? Yup, yup, yup.

I originally picked it up becaus
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This collection of short stories is exactly what the subtitle says: tales of star-crossed love. Crossing a gamut of sub-genres within the realms of science fiction and fantasy, there should be something here for almost everyone.

As with almost any anthology, there were stories that I loved and some that just didn't do anything for me. I was a little afraid that it would start to get depressing (star-crossed love just doesn't sound happy, now does it?) but there was a good balance of happy and sad
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I'm going to be lazy and copy a comment I made to Hirondelle earlier, because it says most of what I have to say about this book.

There were some I liked. I felt like about half the stories held my interest/were worth reading.

The ones I thought well of, or at least was able to finish reading:

"Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher
"Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover
"The Thing About Cassandra" by Neil Gaiman
"His Wolf" by Lisa Tuttle
"Kaskia" by Peter S. Beagle

Okay, so that's actually less than a third.

Others' mileage m
Melissa
These are a collection of stories by some very famous authors. Most of these stories are new. Some of these stories, like the one Jim Butcher gives us we read about familiar characters we have met before. All of them revolve around love and/or death. And although you would suspect a collection of lovely PNR stories, you actually get a bit of that and a lot of sci-fi with a bit of historical romance/death thrown in for good measure. Not all end on a happy note, nor on an expected one either, but ...more
Lee Crase
Check out the full review at Anansi Drew!

Short stories are all the rage, what all the cool kids are reading these days. Yeah, well, so am I. Honestly, I don’t know what all the cool kids are doing. My nose is buried in a book. We talked about this, remember? It’s always been like this.

There are some familiar writers in this book. Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman, and a whole lotta others. Some Romance writers . . . a stretch for me, but stretching is good. Romance writers tell a particular kind of story
Barbara ★
Most of the tales were incredibly bizarre and not very enjoyable -- MNL Hanover, Cecelia Holland, Neil Gaiman, Peter Beagle, Marjorie Liu and Tanith Lee. The stories by Lisa Tuttle, Mary Jo Putney, Yasmine Galenorn, Jo Beverly, Melinda Snodgrass, Carrie Vaughn and Robin Hobb were ok but nothing special.

I was surprised by the Jim Butcher story - Love Hurts. I hated the first Harry Dresden book but this was very good. I will now have to go back to Harry's series and read book number 2 hoping it's
Jo Barton
I only acquired a copy of the tales of Star Crossed Love because I wanted to read the novella A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows by Diana Gabaldon.

If you are familiar with the Outlander series - you will understand the need to find out just a little bit more about some of the minor characters.

This is Jerry McKenzie's story - he's Roger's father - and was lost during WW2 when his spitfire crashed and burned.
It's a beautifully evocative story, perfectly capturing the essence of London in the blitz,
Mary (BookHounds)
This collection of short stories has quite a few of my favorite paranormal authors represented and a few I am not familiar with. Anthologies like this are a fantastic way to discover new authors. This is definitely the cream of the crop and you won't be disappointed with any of the stories. My favorites were: Carrie Vaughn, MLN Hanover, Mary Jo Putney, Neil Gaiman and Linea Sinclair. I was introduced to two new authors as well: Peter Beagle and Ceclia Holland. I will be looking for more work fro ...more
Laurla2
love hurts by jim butcher. dresden files 14.5. Harry Dresden takes on one of his deadliest adversaries and in the process is forced to confront the secret desires of his own heart.

the marrying maid by jo beverley. a man woos a very reluctant maid - with his life and the lives of all his relatives in the balance, all doomed to die if he cant overcome her resistance.

rooftops by carrie vaughn. a young playwright who's nervous about her opening night is rescued by a mysterious masked superhero. She
Outlander Series: A Leaf In the Wind 117 377 Aug 13, 2013 10:27AM
The Thing about Cassandra 1 10 Apr 03, 2012 12:59AM
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Love Hurts (The Dresden Files, #11.5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Masked
  • The Way of the Wizard
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • The Apocalypse Reader
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Happily Ever After
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Naamah's Blessing (Moirin Trilogy, #3)
  • Clockwork Phoenix: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #2)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Kushiel's Legacy (9 books)
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
  • Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2)
  • Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy #3)
  • Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1)
  • Kushiel's Justice (Imriel's Trilogy, #2)
  • Naamah's Kiss (Moirin's Trilogy #1)
  • Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3)
  • Naamah's Curse (Moirin Trilogy, #2)
  • Naamah's Blessing (Moirin Trilogy, #3)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)

“Words can be powerful allies. Or enemies” 9 likes
“Sometimes, the only way to exorcise old ghosts is to pack your bags and move in with them.” 4 likes