Start by marking “The Serious Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Serious Kiss

The Serious Kiss

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  62 reviews
One summer day, Libby and her best friend hatch a plan: Before their freshman year is over, they will each have a serious kiss. Libby even has the boy picked out. But Libby's too-crazy-to-believe parents have another plan: They're moving. To the middle of nowhere. Far from Libby's friends, all hope of a normal life, and kissing, serious or otherwise.

Just when things are co
Published December 13th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published December 28th 2004)

Anna Wei
Sep 23, 2007 Anna Wei rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: amy wu.
The title, very catchy. The context, not so much. I'm no brilliant writer but, the issues bought up in Mary Hogans book regarding the main character Libby was very much half asked. Almost as if she (Hogan) wanted to hurry the process of completing her book. The transactions between each problem that arose in Libbys life were not fully exlained and many parts left me confused.
Patricia
Elizabeth a.k.a. Libby is best friends with Nadine. Both 14 and very close they have a plan. It doesn't matter who thought of it first, as their thoughts constantly overlap, their plan was to have a serious kiss by their 15th birthday. The kiss would be "totally real, sincere, meaningful, soulful, poetic, inspiring, knee-buckling, love filled, journal worthy, insomnia-producing, appetite-reducing, mind blowing, life changing, unforgettable, serious kiss." That is the one thing they both want bec ...more
Kelli
Ok, so let's start off with this wasn't my type of book. I was expecting a sort of young adult romance type book, but instead it was like those books I would read when I was 10. It just wasn't my type of book. After reading so many great books before this, it felt like this one ruined the streak. It's a quick read, only took me about 3-4 hours to read it, though I was busy and didn't get to it right after starting the first chapter.
I, honestly, was just waiting until the end of the book. I was
Pâm Gonçalves
Resenha do blog
Um beijo para valer da autora Mary Hogan é um livro que me chamava atenção há muito tempo. Foi lançado no Brasil em 2009 pela editora Galera Record e desde então eu nutria um pequeno desejo para lê-lo. Finalmente ele quase pulou da prateleira para o meu colo quando eu vasculhava a estante por algo legal.

O título pode passar uma mensagem errada do livro. A história é muito mais que uma garota querendo ter “um beijo pra valer”. O que eu percebi foi um aprendizado verdadeiro da prota
Emily
Kathryne
Jul 16, 2008 Kathryne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
14 year-old Libby hopes her 9th grade year will be the year she experiences her first serious kiss. Unfortunately, family problems soon overshadow all other aspects in her life. Her father’s alcoholism leads to his loss of job, the loss of their home, and the family being moved to another state. Libby is convinced this move has ruined her life but in this new place she gets to know a grandmother she never knew she had, makes new friends, and her family slowly starts to heal.

I picked this book up
CeJayCe
So far, I've got some very mixed feelings about this book. Libby is a very typical character. There's really nothing original about her. She's a 14-year-old obsessed with guys, her weight, and her family's issues. Still, despite the fact that she's whiny and self-obsessed, I can't be completely annoyed with her. The circumstances she's in makes it easy to sympathize with her.

And while on the subject, the plot is very interesting. I read one of Hogan's more recent books, "Pretty Face" and I had
Alyssa N.
I liked this book because it was easy to connect personally to. The main character, Libby, was very bipolar. It made it easy to predict what she was going to do next. There was some romance and an unexpected turn. After Libby moves, she gets to restart her life and connect with her grandmother. It's obvious she struggles but seems to try and make it work. The beginning was described and all the character's traits were described and also made so that you can infer their personality.I liked the fi ...more
Macy Jo
I thought this book taught teen girls good lessons about friendship, boys, and family. The main character, Libby, was changing herself to be with a boy little did she know that she was destroying her friendship with her best friend just to be with a boy. Though Libby knew she would never get in the back of her mind. Libby ruined her friendship and later had to move because of her parents. The odd thing about moving was she would move in with her grandmother that she never knew existed before. Sh ...more
Maggie
Apr 05, 2009 Maggie added it
Mary Hogan's new teen novel, The Serious Kiss, proves you can't judge a book by its title or its cover.the protagonist, Libby Madrigal, experiences her first totally real, sincere, love-filled, mind-blowing, serious kiss. After all, she and her best friend, Nadine, longed to experience the "big IT, the IT supreme: Love." To that end, they made a pact at the beginning of their freshman year to each obtain one serious kiss. Though you would imagine it being a cute tale about a young girl's first k ...more
Adrienne
Dec 03, 2008 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
this book. is cool. i like this book because it was my kind of book. she moved and she had to adjust to her new envrionment and her new highschool. she had to leave her friends and her soon to be boyfriend. i liked it very much. i liekd the part where she moves to her new house and to na new plac efar from her old home. The characters in the book was good. THey all were somehow related to the main character. the main character had some ups and downs. the book was sort of suspensful in a way, exc ...more
Maia
lyNN
Well it was a pretty okay book.Its about a girl who is worried about having her first serious kiss but it struggling because she hadn't find the right guy togive it to. Her dad is an alcoholic and her mom was a nervous wreck and when LIbby, the girl of the book found her mr.right, her parents break the hews to her and tell her she gotsto move. Thinking it would be the most awful thing ever, she ends up finding a new best freind, having a normal family after counseling, and then having her first ...more
Heather Taylor
I thought this was going to be a fluff book and it turned out completely different. It is about a 14 year old girl who makes a goal to have her first serious kiss. Her father is an alcoholic and her mom has turned to food to cope. Her family is a mess. I really liked this book. I liked how it dealt with a serious issue and how it affects others. There are a few little things. Her dad yells are you gay at the dog. There is a condom comment and her brothers is smoking. It is a touching book. Shows ...more
Kt!e
Nov 22, 2008 Kt!e rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th grade girls
Recommended to Kt!e by: school project
I read serious kiss because i was forced to. it was a bluebell book for school and it was the only one that seemed girly and interesting. back then i was into books like this. serious kiss has a basic sentence structure and writing techniques which doesn't make it over used but classic. i like how the book had numerous problems but one over all solution. i liked it. the only thing i would say in negativity is the book just stops. no resolution. the kiss and then nothing. but i'll just end on: se ...more
Jessica Smith
A very interesting and insightful look into the life of a teenage girl living in a family trying to deal with the alcoholism of a loved one. Libby has her life turned upside down when her family moves- into a trailer park that doubles as a retirement home. She still tries to achieve her dream of getting a serious kiss while also trying to adjust to her new home and make new friends. It was a very good book, and a quick read. The only part i didn't like was how it seemed to end so suddenly.
Theresa
Libby hates her life. That’s the first she would say if you asked her about her life. She wants to have her first serious kiss that she and Nadine have always dreamt of. At the end when the worst happened, like moving in a trailer and meeting her grandma that was “dead” for all her 14 years, it is completely different than she imagined.

A loveable book more than could be. 10 star rating and lots of laughs, love and surprise!

I LOVED IT!!!
Rachel Parrott
"The Serious Kiss" is wonderfully written in the voice of a 14 year old girl trying to find her way in her first awkward year of high school as well as her crazy family. All that before alcoholism in the family forces everything to change. Come along for this journey as an American girl through the silly and the profound.

My copy come through Goodreads First Reads.
Mr. Reckord :D
Dec 17, 2007 Mr. Reckord :D rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with a sense of humor :P
this book is really funny. it is about two girls in 7th/8th/9th grade. i cant remember. : ( they have made a goal to have their first 'serious kiss' by the end of the school year. one of the girls thinks it could happen any minute with her crush, a bad-boy who bashes in lockers. the other girl thinks it is turning into a competition. it is really interesting...
Maritza
i thought it was a good book but i never liked Libby's "best friend" Nadine once Libby left, Nadine didn't pay attention to her that much and found a new best friend really fast. I liked the end when Warrenville started describing the desert and then finally gave Libby a serious kiss then he called her beautiful.
Eileen
This started out as Chic lit, and it is. However we soon discover that the heroine has a seriously dysfunctional family. Things don't work out and she has to move to a small desert town and start over.. but in the process she finds something she doesn't expect.

This book has my all time favourite ending.
Madison
The story was great. It was kind of depressing and it put me in a sad mood. I wish the last 3 chapters were longer. The author should've explored the happy parts more. The description of the kiss at the end was phenomenal. I'll never think of kissing the same way!
two best friends set a goal of having a perfect kiss not just any kiss but a kiss that makes you feel like you found home. things get twisted when she has to move out somewhere which she doesnt know where because of her drunkard dad
Emily Smith
I liked this book, but I felt like it was more for 5th or 6th graders. My 8th grade girls haven't found this one engaging enough to finish reading. This is definitely more middle grades, and I tend to enjoy more YA books.
jessica chen
its pretty good. the beggining was kinda booring, because it was like all flash backs, but then, the ending ruled becausether was... drumroll please,... a romanting and happy ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! *dances around the room*
Cheyenna Marshall
I was first attracted to this book by the adorable cover. How orrigional? Anyway I was genuinly hooked on this book from the very first sentence. I've read it 3 times and it still hasn't gotten old. I LOVED IT!!
Nenia Campbell
Libby is just an ordinary high school girl...with a problem. Actually, several problems. The title comes from a pact Libby makes with her friend, Nadine, to have a "serious kiss" before the year is over. Poor Libby's got her sights set on Zack Nash, but unfortunately, he's taken. And then, just when it finally looks like she might get that kiss, Libby finds out that her family is moving to the middle of nowhere.

This book deals with many important issues like alcoholism, poverty, schools in poor
Mary
the girl in this book has a difficult life.with her disfunctional family and her cretain position in popularity, her friend and herself have set a plan to get a serious kiss from a boy they like
Avi
This book was one of the funniest books that I have ever read. The main character is very funny and her story was great and hilarious. The book was so good, that I finished it in only two days.
this book 2 10 Dec 10, 2013 02:56PM
this book 1 5 Aug 14, 2008 02:36PM
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • Contents Under Pressure
  • The Dashwood Sisters' Secrets of Love
  • An Urgent Message of Wowness
  • The View from the Top
  • Response
  • So Not The Drama (Del Rio Bay Clique, #1)
  • Dunk
  • The Kayla Chronicles
  • Love, Cajun Style
  • The Market
  • The Miner's Daughter
  • Klepto
195268
Though an Okie by birth, I grew up in Southern California near beaches, bikinis and baby oil tans. Way before vampires were in style, I had the pale skin of one. When I wasn't sunburned lobster red. Now, I live in the blessed shade of skyscrapers. New York City. Where I was meant to be all along.

My husband, Robert, is an actor here. We share our home with the lovely Lucy, a Catahoula rescue dog w
More about Mary Hogan...